Avid Pads Organic vs. Sintered?

Chubba

Looking to get some new pads. What's the difference between organic vs. sintered and which are better?

Edited by Chubba

Where and in what conditions are you riding? Sintered is "metal". Last longer, build up more heat and can squeal. Organic is sometimes cheaper, good but not great braking power and wears quicker. Does not squeal.

Where and in what conditions are you riding? Sintered is "metal". Last longer, build up more heat and can squeal. Organic is sometimes cheaper, good but not great braking power and wears quicker. Does not squeal.

dry in summer, wet in winter. No major downhill stuff, but fairly step fast single and jeep track.

what if I put sintered on the rear and organic on the front?

dry in summer, wet in winter. No major downhill stuff, but fairly step fast single and jeep track.

what if I put sintered on the rear and organic on the front?

Sintered for wet, organic for dry. You can mix them but sintered should then go up front for better breaking.

Mampara, doesn't organic have more braking power than metal/sintered?

I use the metal organic pads(mix between the two) and it works great, it does not squeal ever and have more than enough brake power (and I weight 90kg), dry or wet.

I haven't seen them in any LBS yet, I bought mine on CRC.

I put sintered in my Hopes and the difference was marked. They do squeal a little when wet, but they stop like hell.

I put sintered in my Hopes and the difference was marked. They do squeal a little when wet, but they stop like hell.

how would you rate the hope rotors vs. avid rotors?

almost every time I have tried sintered they land up squealing...

they do last longer and work better in the wet...the noise is so bad you 'll ride slowly the whole way so that you don't have to use the brakes at all :)

how would you rate the hope rotors vs. avid rotors?

Haven't tried Avid rotors. The Hopes are pricy though. I would like some on my 29er, but the current price is preventing me from doing so. Maybe I should test how they compare to my Alligators and I'll be convinced. Based on comments from another thread most people that have used Alligator rotors and changed to OEM ones, seem to have noticed an improvement in braking.

Haven't tried Avid rotors. The Hopes are pricy though. I would like some on my 29er, but the current price is preventing me from doing so. Maybe I should test how they compare to my Alligators and I'll be convinced. Based on comments from another thread most people that have used Alligator rotors and changed to OEM ones, seem to have noticed an improvement in braking.

i took my alligators off, they were terrible! they were very noisy and did not brake as well as my avids - more surface area does make a difference it seems.

had these:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/alligator-windcutter-disc-rotor

put these back on:

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/avid-g2-clean-sweep-rotor

I don't have problems with my Windcutters on XT and organic pads. Running a 140mm 6-bolt at the back you do not have much choice in brands. It's Alligators, Hope and Formula.

Seen some guys run one organic pad and one sintered, or a dual compound. I found a generic set of what seem to be dual compound pads, from Gatorbrake. Only 50 rond and compatible with XTR/Saint/Deore/XT :thumbup:

See theres a website on the packaging www.gatorbrake.com

Seen some guys run one organic pad and one sintered, or a dual compound. I found a generic set of what seem to be dual compound pads, from Gatorbrake. Only 50 rond and compatible with XTR/Saint/Deore/XT :thumbup:

See theres a website on the packaging www.gatorbrake.com

thanks, will have a looksie!

Sintered in the front for reliable stopping in the wet. They don't fade easily. They might squeal a bit more, but if you are using Avid brakes, they will squeal anyway.