Need a work bench but don't have the space

AndreZA

Cool. Do you reckon it'd be sturdy enough to mount some bike stand-type brackets on it and support the weight of a bike?

Guest Big H

I'm sure if they replace the aluminium legs with steel it will be.

When things start to fold open and closed the tolerances of the hinges can make it a wery wobbly affair. How sturdy is the kas. Are everythis solid and will it take a hammering or is it just a kas with a table top to play around on.

Any idea what it costs?

Edited by Big H

Haay. Yeah, also saw it at the Hobby X Show, was selling for 5k I think.?

Really neat, but for some heavy duty work I think you may need to do some modification, its more for light duty stuff, but I guess thats what most folk want it for.

If you are a bit of a carpenter, I think you could knock one up yourself without difficulty.

When things start to fold open and closed the tolerances of the hinges can make it a wery wobbly affair. How sturdy is the kas. Are everythis solid and will it take a hammering or is it just a kas with a table top to play around on.Any idea what it costs?

Naa, light duty stuff, you wont build a V6 engine on it. :D

....its a nice idea though, more for resting your paint can on and giving it a good stir, but thats probably all most folk require anyway.

Naa, light duty stuff, you wont build a V6 engine on it. :D

....its a nice idea though, more for resting your paint can on and giving it a good stir, but thats probably all most folk require anyway.

I'm sure with a couple modifications it could handle slighty more heavy duty work.

Guest Big H

Haay. Yeah, also saw it at the Hobby X Show, was selling for 5k I think.?

Really neat, but for some heavy duty work I think you may need to do some modification, its more for light duty stuff, but I guess thats what most folk want it for.

If you are a bit of a carpenter, I think you could knock one up yourself without difficulty.

It looks ideal to be a fly-tying station or a storgage/workshop for my choppers or Em sewing cabinet (look under products). Ya are right, with the angle grinder, welder and some square tubing you can build your own. Moving into a smaller place we will have to look at "containerizing" our respective hobbies. Some Melamine screws and your own design or a alu or mild steel frame held together with those strong plastic angle pieces you buy at the plastic places and viola you have your own.

One of the recent Popular Mechanics had a interesting DIY concept. Brackets against the wall with nifty configured holes and pegboard "pages" attached to it where you hang your tools. Will see later if I can post a pic.

Slightly off topic - looking for a permanent workbench for my garage. Any recommendations or anyone built up a solid 1?

Would love to see your pics...

Slightly off topic - looking for a permanent workbench for my garage. Any recommendations or anyone built up a solid 1?

My brother just had a workbench built but it is steel and was not cheap. He can push his scooter on and then lift the bench to working height with a hydraulic jack. I am sure a plain bench from the same guy would cost a lot less.

There is also a company called Adendorff (spelling?) in Strjdom Park that sells steel benches.

I've built three. Two wooden, in use in my garage and workshop, and one steel frame, in use at my dad's garage. Busy replacing the worktop on my workshop one, will post a pic when it's done.

Edited by TNT1

Guest Big H

Here is the link to the "Tool o Dex" in Popular Machanics I referred to earlier....thanx PBP

For a cool welding or steel workbench get a old steel shutter they use in building. It is square strong and designed to carry a lot of weight. Weld steel pipe legs onto it and you have the best there is, it does not have to be big but the fact that it is flat and square just makes the setting up of things to be welded so much easier.

Here is the link to the "Tool o Dex" in Popular Machanics I referred to earlier....thanx PBP

For a cool welding or steel workbench get a old steel shutter they use in building. It is square strong and designed to carry a lot of weight. Weld steel pipe legs onto it and you have the best there is, it does not have to be big but the fact that it is flat and square just makes the setting up of things to be welded so much easier.

The link didnt come up BigH, can you repost, I would like to look at it.?