Raceface faceplants!

Capricorn

taken from ridemonkey, of which one forum member is a raceface staff member:

I wish the situation was as optimistic as Fraser paints it, but we've been told the company is going to be liquidated, and 90% of us are unemployed as of next week. They'll keep a few people on to assist with the liquidation.

My tenure with the company has been short, but it's been a fun ride. Thanks to all the great athletes, customers, and media folks I've had the opportunity to work with. Thanks also to the amazing group of coworkers I have out here. All of you make stuff like this hurt a lot less.

Some bignames in the riding industry tweeted confirmation that Monday is doors_closed day.

I'm a bit surprised. I always thought they were doing well. Now we royally screwed in this country, as I've only seen RF stuff in the stores. The LBS say they can get 661 one stuff, but it takes forever and 5 years to get here. Wonder what happened to that TLD distributor up in KZN. Seems they were just hot air. :thumbdown:

Thank heavens for CRC!

Edited by Capricorn

Oh no... that means The Claw is losing a sponsor!

But yeah... as for TLD, they were absent for a few months near the end of 2009. They then changed agencies. Here's the contact number for the new importers (based in JHB)

tel: 011 918 0354

email: info@troyleedesignssa.co.za

I'll be calling them monday to see if/when these are coming in:

http://www.go-ride.com/product_images/Knee%20Guard%20KG%205400hr.jpg

patches: please let me know if u get a lead on them new 2011 knee and elbow guards. I've been meaning to get some for myself from CRC once my liquidity improves.

Will keep you guys posted on what the SA TLD dudes are able to bring in. Hopefully they'll do the MTB stuff (I have seen Lopes knee shins in the local MX shop... but at 950 ZA ronds... eish!)

I know Fox's local importers don't bring in any of the MTB stuff (like the Launch)... pity! But yeah, maybe the fact that I've seen local D2s, D3s and Lopes pads, means that there's hope?!

patches: i think much of what u see in the way of TLD is thanks to rider imports via CRC.

I really like those Fox Launch pads as well pity about the distributor.. :(

I think you have the answer right there, Cap. Even with the 40% duty smacked on top of them, they're cheaper than locally sourced equivalents...

you have no idea how much that aggravates me...*sigh* / goes off to ogle CRC wishlist..

The TLD distributor is no longer.

The guy is a friend of mine, the shop he distributed from was called Acid Xtreme.

He closed end of 2010 to become a commercial pilot.

He might have some stuff left over to let go, but doubt there is much MTB stuff, he was more focused on MX.

patches: please let me know if u get a lead on them new 2011 knee and elbow guards. I've been meaning to get some for myself from CRC once my liquidity improves.

Would also be interested in some of those knee and elbow guards

The TLD distributor is no longer.

The guy is a friend of mine, the shop he distributed from was called Acid Xtreme.

He closed end of 2010 to become a commercial pilot.

He might have some stuff left over to let go, but doubt there is much MTB stuff, he was more focused on MX.

yeah... I had no luck. I called and the phone was answered as "Troy Lee Designs South Africa". I was told to email Shaun (at) troy lee designs SA .coza... but the emailed bounced back undelivered.

Seems I just have to man up about the duties and go through CRC...

...although I may go for some Race Face DIG pads....

http://gear.ridemonkey.com/imgs/p_49414.jpg

which brings us back to the original topic... Race Face going under.

Maybe if I hold out for another week the price of the pads will go down... in fact I'd also love some Atlas bars... come on CRC, drop the price, hahaha!

lol u scalper patches :P but yeah, get em while they hot ;)

oi about the TLD distributor. sometimes, I've very tempted to try pick up a distributorship... very tempted. <_<

but CRC will have to do for now. Thanks for the headsup Frerichs91

Little update on those TLD knee guards...

I checked CRC 2 nights ago and they've shifted the stock due date back to april (and may on some of the sizes)

Seems even my beloved CRC is having trouble getting TLD stock in :(

• 1 month later...

Race Face is back

"Race Face Performance Products, one of North America’s leading producers of high performance mountain bike components, protection and apparel, is pleased to announce that it has re-opened its doors as of May 9th, 2011."

Race Face is back

"Race Face Performance Products, one of North America’s leading producers of high performance mountain bike components, protection and apparel, is pleased to announce that it has re-opened its doors as of May 9th, 2011."

Ah! great to hear that they managed to weather the storm! Thanks for that Deanbean.

Now i just wonder about some of the riders they uses to sponsor... like 'The Claw'... I know he made a move to IXS, but maybe Race face will try get him back?!