Sub 3 Club Cape Argus 2011

andretraut

Nah, that is a 2:60:50

Yeah, for Matt it is 2:60:50.

He is, after all, the founder of this space... Excemptions!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want to ban me, they can personally go and tell the charity that I will no longer be raising funds for them :angry:

The second lap is unofficial, so there wont be any time given for that and they wont know about it either, unless one of you split on me!

Nuff said....!

My sentiments as well! But I'm too conservative to assume that they care if it's for charity. They didn't care when I requested permission to do it twice.

Just one question: how did you get into a start chute for the second lap? Did you have a second entry and "start card"? I'm just curious because I really wanted to do the same.

I want to ride next year then cruise home along the freeway with the later starting groups.. I was planning to just kinda melt in along the route.. this is to experience the other side of the Argus.. but if they are so strict is it worth it>?

My sentiments as well! But I'm too conservative to assume that they care if it's for charity. They didn't care when I requested permission to do it twice.

Just one question: how did you get into a start chute for the second lap? Did you have a second entry and "start card"? I'm just curious because I really wanted to do the same.

And I wouldn't care if they don't care! I am not going to beg for permission to do something good, I will just do it.

Wasn't this race started to create awareness? My interpretation of awareness is awareness for the chosen charity.

The Rotary does a lot with the funds raised by the cycle tour. So we must have some common grounds here!

I did have another entry, but didnt need to use it in the end. That, according to them is not allowed either. Riding on someone else name is not allowed and can get the person that the entry belongs to banned. Which I can fully understand from an admin point of view, should you crash and need medical attention and they have only your entry number to go by, they will be confused and have no idea who they dealing with. So this I can understand.

One person not riding and another doing it twice, what is the difference? It still does not increase the number of riders on the road.

I can understand that they dont want everyone to do it twice, funriders wont be able to finish it twice anyway. You need to be fit and fast enough to start your 2nd lap before the last group leaves.

You are given 7hrs to finish the route, I completed both laps in under 7hrs so I dont see what the problem is? If it took me more than 7hrs to do one lap, would there be an issue? No, I would just not receive an official time. So what is the difference?

I did not stop once on the first lap but twice on the second lap, so getting my two glasses of coke on the second lap cant be an issue either (some guys have liters of coke at each waterpoint, having 1 or 10 cokes cant be a problem either)

So does anyone know exactly why you are not allow to do it twice, except, "because we say so"?

Edited by Tankman

Hey Musashi, you were looking strong going past the ostrich farm, I also saw some of the other roadies giving you some shocked looks especially when you had to go off-road a couple of times. :D

Thanks ThaStig. It was a bit strange being the only MTB'er amongst a bunch of roadies. Next year I'll keep up all the way!

Also a first for me, sub 3 on a MTB with knobblies. Gonna do this every year, bloody hard but worthwhile! ..It also annoyed a few sad individuals who don't like sitting behind a mountain biker!

Well done to all you guys who posted a sub 3 hour - Awesome stuff!!!

2011 was my first Argus and from S batch I managed to eek out a 3h21. What a wild ride.

:D

Well done to all you guys who posted a sub 3 hour - Awesome stuff!!!

2011 was my first Argus and from S batch I managed to eek out a 3h21. What a wild ride.

:D

My first 94.7 I started in one of the groups after Z. It was not full road closure and I was shouting "keep left" the whole race. I should have put a bell on the bike :lol:

3:27 from TT, heavy traffic and not a lot of help...but very fun day in the saddle! Well done all the sub 3's!

:clap: :thumbup: to all that went under 3. 3:09 for my first argus - I had no idea what to expect so hang with the bunch until Bossie. After that I drove hard as the guys didn't want to go so cramps to the best of me at the bump through clifton

@ThaStig: My normal MTB gears (11-34 at the back).

@FBSP: That is crazy fast on knoblies. Well done! Maybe someday I can join you...

I am not sure how many father and son times are both Sub-3:

I managed my first sub-3 with a time of 2h56 starting in VB and then waited for my son (Josh, age 14) to finish as he started in Group E.

You can imagine the family anxiety when he said that he too had done a 2h56!

So until the official results came out, we did not know who had "won". It landed up that my son beat me by a mere 30 seconds.

Great day, a great ride, and a proud moment.