Open Letter to Bike Shop Owners

EigerSA

I decided for a different approach this year...

I picked a LBS - and even if they screw up I will go back. Thus far it has been working out awsome. Not anly does the shop owner know my name, he knows my wife's name. I told him from the get go, that I want to build up a relationshit with my LBS. I told him why I picked him and I told him that I take cycling seriously - so I want a serious LBS...His staff, can see that I am on a first name bases with their boss...So they get me what I want.

Note however, that as of date, they don't touch my bike. Infact, I don't even think they have seen my bike...But I buy ALMOST everything from them and I always get discount. ALWAYS. (PS - no-one else touches my bike either so...)

I recently wanted some MTB parts, not only did they order for me, but they also updated me with SMS's as to the state of the order!

My ex boss once said to me: You are more willing to bend for a friend...So make friends with your LBS!!!

Good one - relationshit .......... sort of really gets the point accross !

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy there bud, we dont want to follow the trend of this thread and get all personal about which is better email or fax.

I said that with a ;) The recipient can not decline the delivery report, same with the fax.

Why dont you fax your complaints to my email address? ;) again ;)

No worries :)

But proof that you sent an email is not proof that it was received - only that it reached some point. A fax has to have gone to a specific number.

As for being better - registered mail ftw

Edited by Albereth

Right. Times up. I bet myself a MAGNUM Deaf by Choc-clit, an i'm keen.

Righted?

Wrong-ged?

Name, shame?

Look sharp Eiger!

I'll add another point:

5.) If you promise to call your customer back within a week, do so (even if it's just to say you can't help them). I was planning to buy a Lemond Revolution trainer locally. The shop is obviously not interested in my business, so now I'm going to see what I can find online.

They never call back. LBS missed out on R2000 yesterday cause they didnt bother calling. Went online.

Guest Big H

They never call back. LBS missed out on R2000 yesterday cause they didnt bother calling. Went online.

Good on you...... the less we buy from unscrupolous bike shops that do not care the better of our pockets are. Go there to research your product and then buy online.

I ask with blood stained tears in my baby blue eyes......AFTER ALL THE SHIETE WE PUT UP WITH FROM LBS'S.....WHY DO SOME TOSSERS STILL GIVE THEN THE SUPPORT THEY DO NOT DESERVE???!!!

Let the LBS fight for itself! THIS IS the RANT AND RAVE section.....let him have at them!

Name the stupid shop already!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by LOUDMAC

I ask with blood stained tears in my baby blue eyes......AFTER ALL THE SHIETE WE PUT UP WITH FROM LBS'S.....WHY DO SOME TOSSERS STILL GIVE THEN THE SUPPORT THEY DO NOT DESERVE???!!!

Let the LBS fight for itself! THIS IS the RANT AND RAVE section.....let him have at them!

Name the stupid shop already!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

WHY DO SOME TOSSERS STILL GIVE THEN THE SUPPORT THEY DO NOT DESERVE???!!!

because, some of us tossers, "as you call some of us"(FFS) :angry: have full time work(that means we also make money), that does not really give us the time to service and build our bikes ourselves.

And , one day when you have a younger family member or some acuintice, whos looking for a job, just note that one of those rare jobs in this country may just be to provide service in a bicycle shop to 'some of us tossers'...

There will always be LBS patron. The choice at the end of the day is that of the consumer and as cervelo put it, some people work damn hard for their money and don't have the time / technical ability to do the work themselves. that doesn't excuse the k@a owrkmanship though. If you pay for a service you expect to get just that... SERVICE!!

Report back...

I got a phone call early this morning from the bike shop owner; he asked if we could meet which I was happy to do. The owner was extremely apologetic, and interestingly so was the mechanic who was also there, way before opening time I might add! Essentially the mechanic reckons he tests every bike that leaves the shop, it was just bad luck on my part that I collected the bike before he had a chance to do the test ride. As for not phoning, basically no excuse, he just forgot. Lastly my complaint on attitude, well apparently that's just me.

The owner and mechanic were really friendly and tried hard to make amends which I really do appreciate, and because of that, I wont be posting their details online. I will say however, that regardless of what some may think, I believe that it is my (and yours) unalienable right to expect a level of service and competence in line with the amount of money I'm paying and the services offered. I also refuse to keep quiet when the level of service that I do receive is in my opinion below par.

One thing that did come out in the meet this morning, was that the bike shop owner had no idea as to what was happening until a mate of his pointed this thread out to him. If we as customers do not take the time to inform the bike shop manager/owner of our disappointments, then we can hardly expect them to change. The only question I still have left is, if I had not brought this up on a public forum, but had instead, just faxed (or emailed) my complaint, would I have got the same level of attention as now?

Although some have called for the "Eiger 10 second rule" to be part and parcel of a service, I still believe it defeats the whole objective, I pay someone to perform the "mechanics 30 second" rule instead, that's the whole point of paying to have your bike serviced.

One last observation to bike shop owners out there: there seems to be a lot of complaints out there about the quality of service from bike shops, and nothing moves faster than bad news, maybe make note of that and start looking to how you can increase customer loyalty by improving service, just my opinion.

"Eiger 10 second rule"

agreed it should not be needed however as my experience with LBS grows it has generally become routine :(

"Eiger 10 second rule"

agreed it should not be needed however as my experience with LBS grows it has generally become routine :(

Then complain, and complain here, start a thread, point the owner/manager to the thread and the hub... we need to all stop accepting bad service and complain!

Then complain, and complain here, start a thread, point the owner/manager to the thread and the hub... we need to all stop accepting bad service and complain!

Dude.

My complaint with you is that I had a bet on the table. 1 MAGNUM Deaf by Choc-clit, if I was right about which store.

Now it's too late, the MAGNUM is too far, and I will have to soldier on without!

BAD.

BTW By the way, that IS an interesting avatar, when viewed at a 75 degree angle !

Well done, however the mechanic should have informed you he never did the test ride yet, and offered you to do it or allow him 10 min. But at least it is sorted. And Yes, I am sure alot of other peeps also agree why should we test service we have paid for!!!

I'm pretty sure everyone was thinking the big shiny sparkly one near the Pick 'n pay that was involved in a price fixing scandal, if that's what you also thought, then sorry but you would've had to have done without that magnum anyways :) That only leaves one of the other four bike shops!

It's an awesome avatar, the full sized pic makes one weep with joy :D

I'm pretty sure everyone was thinking the big shiny sparkly one near the Pick 'n pay that was involved in a price fixing scandal, if that's what you also thought, then sorry but you would've had to have done without that magnum anyways :) That only leaves one of the other four bike shops!

It's an awesome avatar, the full sized pic makes one weep with joy :D

Nay, that was not the one. Although I do not think they got rapped hard enough, prices are still naaasty!

However you did say Hillcrest, not 'Upper Highway'. In Hillcrest itself there are only 2 and 1/2 bike shops.

In the other 1, the mechs hardly say boo to a goose. Not to sure about the 1/2 though, because I only went in once, and left smartly.

Slightly S east is a very nice shopowner who recently has had some staff changes....

Slightly east is a very shiny one that has a very small yet friendly and efficient staff/ownership. - Professionals!

There is one 'shiny' one out on a limb in the bush there- again, no owner.

Nevermind.You got it solved, let's hope it works. Personally, I kick my mech in the nads often, f'rinstance, like today when he didn't want to wash Pony Number 1. He got a good bo;;oking - job done!

So he's gonna get a MAGNUM tomorrow anyway!

(If that was a real cloud, then you will be forever blessed !! - yowza!)