Wheelset for a Powertap

sharkysa

Hi

I have bought a powertap and it cannot be built with Mavick Kysiriums. Any recommendation on wheelsets? I was looking at the EA90slx, Zipp 404 clinchers(not sure if it can be built with powertap). I am trying to avoid 2 wheelsets.

Depends if you want to race with your PowerTap or just train with it?

If you only going to train, EA 90 SLX is good wheels, you'll even be able to do a few races with it. One of the guys in our club uses this setup for training.

Otherwise, if you want to race with it aswell, build it onto ZIPP 404's, but this means your trainnig and racing wheelset is going to be the same set.

For a durable wheel, stay away from a rim with a deep section. The combination of a large hub and deep section rim makes the spokes arrive at the rim at an angle larger than what a nipple can swivel. This caises a bend where the spoke enters the nipple and premature spoke breakages.

The best rim for the job is a box section rim such as Mavic Open Pro or DRC ST 17. However, fashion prevents most riders from using this combo (however, if that same rim has a Zipp Team Issue sticker on it, it seems OK). For those guys I build such wheels with Mavic Aksium rims. These are available in 20 and 24 hole varieties.

The best part of this Askium build is getting around the system. The local Mavic agents don't like supplying the rims for use on heathen, non-Mavic wheels and won't supply you if you admit the truth. You have to lie and pretend you have a broken Aksium in order to get supplied.

I hope Ghost isn't reading this.

Mine are 24 hole, I have Powertap hub at the front aswell. I have Aksium rims. My LBS tells me unless I want to go carbon there aren't really any other choices in rim.

I would love a bling set of wheels but at the end of the day they won't really make much difference and I really like having the Powertap

Thank you guys. Looks like I am going Looks I will have to sell my Mavicks and buy the EA90slx for training with a power meter. Will upgrade to Zipp 404 if I race league next season, the wind is always a concern with deep sections in CT. Two wheelsets seems inevitable!

the wind is always a concern with deep sections in CT

what do you weigh, like 40kg?

If above, then dont worry about the wind, it is myth.

Just keep both hands on the handle bars at all times ;)

what do you weigh, like 40kg?

If above, then dont worry about the wind, it is myth.

Just keep both hands on the handle bars at all times ;)

74kg and I will have to hold on tight....