Formula 1...

'Dale

Agreed! The only reason Ferrari got it wrong, is they went too early on their first stop - the super-softs lasted for longer than everybody thought.

The nature of the beast - if you can get super-softs to last that long, then it's not on... Hmmm, but ja, the circuit is also lending it to low tyre wear with no long high-speed corners and lots of slow corners - and shorter high-speeds corners. So maybe very well thought out by the teams to actually try it on this circuit. It won't work everywhere. Just look at Alonso to see what happens if you get it ever so slightly wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a dramatic race... awesome to watch.

Alonso shedding some tears on the top step. What a driver.

Hammie losing pace and position over the final few laps, then to be knocked out...

Eish!

Even though he got a penalty (which I think is ridiculous) for it - good on Maldonado for "standing up" to Hamilton and his stunts. What the heck - you've got your car positioned on the outside with the advantage and then simply get driven off the track?! If that's allowable... :blink:

But what a drive by Alonso! And great to see the two ex-Ferrari World Champs flanking the future one. And to complete the postcard - all in front of current sponsorship of team! (Though, tbh, I doubt anybody would've caught Vettel had the RB not run out of steam.)

Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have been together on the podium five times. Each one of those were won by Alonso. Andrea Stella, Alonso's race engineer, was also RE for Rai and Schu! Lots of good memories and war stories on Sun's podium!

Even though he got a penalty (which I think is ridiculous) for it - good on Maldonado for "standing up" to Hamilton and his stunts. What the heck - you've got your car positioned on the outside with the advantage and then simply get driven off the track?! If that's allowable... :blink:

But what a drive by Alonso! And great to see the two ex-Ferrari World Champs flanking the future one. And to complete the postcard - all in front of current sponsorship of team! (Though, tbh, I doubt anybody would've caught Vettel had the RB not run out of steam.)

I'm sorry but that's bollocks! maldonoda is a hot head and had he shown some patience he would have easily gotten past hamilton whose rear tyres were shot. Hamilton was legitimately defending his position and was ahead when he squeazed maldanado to the outside - a fair tactic as he had the corner. Maldonado should have backed off at this time but instead chose to t-bone hamilton... In fact the way hamilton defended on that corner is EXACTLY the same way maldonado defended against Kimi earlier in the same place - the difference being that Kimi backed out rather than driving into Maldonado.

What I will concede is in hindsight hamilton really should have just let maldonado go rather than defenidng as hard as he did - he had a lot more to lose than maldanado...

edit - agree fantastic drive by alfonso - he is a class act

Edited by dracs

Yip, Maldonado ran out of track and still pushed into Hamilton who was ON the track.

Awesome ride by the Spaniard.

It was really cool to see Schumi on the podium. Well done, old champ.

Okay, first off, I agree that he should've waited and he'd have cruuuised past Hamilton. Secondly, I agree that he should have given way on the second part of the corner (which is what the penalty was for). But when Hamilton drove him (he did not run out of track - Lewis drifted out) off the track in the first section of the corner even the biased British commentators said "Advantage Maldonado". To my recollection (which is vague at the best of times) he was ahead both times - when he defended against Kimi and when he was passing Hamilton.

(I see Crow posted some footage - will check when I'm home.)

Haha, good one! Calling anybody else a hot-head whilst Hamilton is mentioned in the same sentence... The whole thing was avoidable - from both drivers' point of view.

But heck, call it "a racing incident" and leave it at that. Why must there be a fine of sorts every time two cars come together?! It's really becoming senseless the last couple of seasons - I mean, the guys are there to race! But then, the moment the try to and something goes wrong in that process, somebody has to be found guilty and punished.

That said, the one guy deserving a penalty was Vergne. Talk about a brain-dead move.

Oh, completely unmentioned... one guy who'se stock is rising in my books, is Grosjean, after a very dodgy start to the season.

Edited by SeaBee

Okay, first off, I agree that he should've waited and he'd have cruuuised past Hamilton. Secondly, I agree that he should have given way on the second part of the corner (which is what the penalty was for). But when Hamilton drove him (he did not run out of track - Lewis drifted out) off the track in the first section of the corner even the biased British commentators said "Advantage Maldonado". To my recollection (which is vague at the best of times) he was ahead both times - when he defended against Kimi and when he was passing Hamilton.

(I see Crow posted some footage - will check when I'm home.)

Haha, good one! Calling anybody else a hot-head whilst Hamilton is mentioned in the same sentence... The whole thing was avoidable - from both drivers' point of view.

But heck, call it "a racing incident" and leave it at that. Why must there be a fine of sorts every time two cars come together?! It's really becoming senseless the last couple of seasons - I mean, the guys are there to race! But then, the moment the try to and something goes wrong in that process, somebody has to be found guilty and punished.

That said, the one guy deserving a penalty was Vergne. Talk about a brain-dead move.

Oh, completely unmentioned... one guy who'se stock is rising in my books, is Grosjean, after a very dodgy start to the season.

I agree with part in bold - although Maldonado has already DELIBERATELY driven into another driver this season and has been in numerous incidents - so a line does have to be drawn. Also agree on Grosjean - he showed how to do a nice clean overtake on hamilton earlier... Edited by dracs

I'm sorry but that's bollocks! maldonoda is a hot head and had he shown some patience he would have easily gotten past hamilton whose rear tyres were shot. Hamilton was legitimately defending his position and was ahead when he squeazed maldanado to the outside - a fair tactic as he had the corner. Maldonado should have backed off at this time but instead chose to t-bone hamilton... In fact the way hamilton defended on that corner is EXACTLY the same way maldonado defended against Kimi earlier in the same place - the difference being that Kimi backed out rather than driving into Maldonado.

What I will concede is in hindsight hamilton really should have just let maldonado go rather than defenidng as hard as he did - he had a lot more to lose than maldanado...

edit - agree fantastic drive by alfonso - he is a class act

Yup have to agree some people need to read the rule books.

Hamilton was in front leading into the corner so is entitled to the racing line, Maldenado chose to stay wide and get of track "which he is entitled to do" Hamilton still has right to the racing line and does not have to go off the racing line to allow someone to rejoin, Maldenado had to back off and rejoin behind the mclaren, he however in his idiocy tried to intimidate Hamilton off the line and did not realize a car with 1.6cm clearance, hitting a angular bump at 250kmh will go airborne.

In my view they should have added another 10 place grid drop for the next race where he can go play with the rest of the amatuers in the next race. Good on Hami that he didnt walk up to the moron and give hime the PK he deserved.

Hamilton was in front leading into the corner so is entitled to the racing line, Maldenado chose to stay wide and get of track "which he is entitled to do" Hamilton still has right to the racing line and does not have to go off the racing line to allow someone to rejoin, Maldenado had to back off and rejoin behind the mclaren, he however in his idiocy tried to intimidate Hamilton off the line and did not realize a car with 1.6cm clearance, hitting a angular bump at 250kmh will go airborne.

In my view they should have added another 10 place grid drop for the next race where he can go play with the rest of the amatuers in the next race. Good on Hami that he didnt walk up to the moron and give hime the PK he deserved.

Nice analysis, Covie.

I was distraught to see Hammie being taken out.

:wacko:

yes? at 1.00 he was slightly ahead, but from 1.01 onwards he was behind...

At around 1:04 when they are side by side and Mal is off track / on the kerb Mal is trying to steer away from Lewis, but can't. Either fronts in the air due to the kerb or under-steering. Not saying he's innocent...just saying.

In my opinion I think Maldanado deserved a penalty.

1. It shouldn't have been a time penalty applied in the same race

2. It's time he gets a severe warning or a massive penalty. Maybe even a suspension.

3. I think Lewis should've played the long game. He's shown himself capable of doing that this season, but sometimes still does something stupid. Alonso is leading the championship cause he's been aggressive where needed, but also patient when it was the right thing to do.

Yes run him wide, but then go a little wider yourself into the second part of the chicane to give yourself space.

Vergne has a long and hard time ahead of him if he wants to stay in F1 beyond 2012. He's been out-qualified and out-raced my Ricciardo and have made a couple of stupid mistakes all through the GP weekends. Alg & Bue wasn't half bad and they got dropped...

Lekka to see Lotus back in the mix.

Yip. Grosjean is impressing big time

You said it.