Which dual suspension?

nookie46

I replaced my Trance with the 2011 Giant Reign, in a Large, but it is a 19", not the 20" of the Trance. This has been the perfect compromise between 18" and 20".

Sadly, for everyone else, the Reign is not available in SA, except for special order.

So you can consider a Large Trance, with a much shorter stem, possibly even down to 60mm. This has the effect of making your steering more direct, and making it feel better in the air, if that is your thing. It won't be bad to throw around, as even the large is relatively light, yet it will maintain the stability of the longer wheelbase.

As for the steep descents:

You will find on some of the gnarlier stuff, that you will want to go back as far as having your chest over your saddle. Invest in a dropper seat post. It will be the best upgrade you ever make. It makes moving around like this much easier.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced my Trance with the 2011 Giant Reign, in a Large, but it is a 19", not the 20" of the Trance. This has been the perfect compromise between 18" and 20".

Sadly, for everyone else, the Reign is not available in SA, except for special order.

19" would have been the sweet spot for me:(

Thanks for the steap descent comments, and the pic..makes it pretty clear. Anyway, i was on a trainer on the Large Trance. tried going behind the saddle, but can see i'll need to drop it right to the bottom against the frame in order to do this and naturally the reach felt a bit far when attempting this. so if going for the large ill need a shorter stem i reckon.

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for a new bike and have narrowed it down to one of the following: Giant Trance X4 or Merida One Twenty 800D.

Yes i know both are entry level dual suspension bikes, but i feel the need for one but cannot afford the minimum R15k - R20k for a decent one. I mainly do single track riding.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Trance X4. Reasons for this is the high quality frame which is used throughout the range, the Maestro dual suspension setup and the R2k price difference. The Merida has the better components all round, but how big of a difference will this make at the end of the day?

The only thing which is holding me back on the Trance is the shocks..rear one is Giant's own in house shock with no lockout. I'm thinking with 2k in hand i can add some more cash and replace this once the original one gives in or as my skills improve and I feel the need for one. The front shock is a Roxshox tora tk, 120mm lockout.how is this shock rated. The merida has air shocks all round with lockout.

Looking forward to your comments

Thanks

what size are you looking for ?

Went back to my LBS today, and did the whole bike fitment/sizing thing. ended up with a effective top tube length of 59.5. So the guy said that sits me on a Large.

I tried out the Medium (did not have Large in stock) and it actually felt very nimble and throwable underneath me.only thing that felt a bit weird is the handle bars felt a bit too close to me and maybe a tad to low.

I'll mainly be doing trail riding and im looking for a bike i can really push and go crazy on. The large did feel a bit more "right size" can i say but porb not as throwable. There was about 25mm left till maximum extension on the saddle..will this make my climbing more difficult or uncomfortable?

Now im confused again regarding the best size for me..i read some other forums, watched some youtube videos etc and everyone seems to sit my height on a medium frame?? ill have to go in again to sit on the medium..this is becoming a difficult choice because of me being borderline between the 2 sizes..i can pull off the medium as well..further advice anyone?

what is your height of saddle

measure from middle of BB to top of saddle

Thanks guys, i've re-measured myself at home and i'm exactly 1.82m.

I've also went back to the shop and hopped onto a Trance X2 Large..fits me better i think. on the medium the handle bars felt so far down and i can imagine doing a lot of hunchback riding..not good for the back.so i reckon im going for the large then.super excited to start riding.

you are a large.

Question from a beginner:

whats the difference between the Trance and the Anthem frames?

Trance is considered a Trail Bike which means it has more travel 5 inches (suspension) . Its more suited for rocky long technical riding. The bikes geometry is also more relaxed IE you sit in a more upright position.

An anthem is a XC (cross country bike) hwich is suited more for fast shorter distances its marginally lighter than a trance and has more agressive riding position IE you more leaned over in sort of racing mode. Anthem has 4 inches travel.

Hope that helps

Trance is considered a Trail Bike which means it has more travel 5 inches (suspension) . Its more suited for rocky long technical riding. The bikes geometry is also more relaxed IE you sit in a more upright position.

An anthem is a XC (cross country bike) hwich is suited more for fast shorter distances its marginally lighter than a trance and has more agressive riding position IE you more leaned over in sort of racing mode. Anthem has 4 inches travel.

Hope that helps

Thanks - very very helpful!

I am probably a large yes..the sizing examination i did today also recommends a large..it just feels ill be able to ride more aggresivley on the medium.ill also be doing small jumps during my rides and then progressivly bigger ones..wont the bigger bike be more difficult to pull these off?

I am probably a large yes..the sizing examination i did today also recommends a large..it just feels ill be able to ride more aggresivley on the medium.ill also be doing small jumps during my rides and then progressivly bigger ones..wont the bigger bike be more difficult to pull these off?

Maybe a Giant Reign? http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Giant-Reign-0-Previewed-2011.html

Edited by Caerus

That would have worked hey..im def getting the trance x4..deposit already paid..just need to decide size.

Nice, is it the white one? From the riding you're desribeing a medium maybe better(especially if you're planning big jumps) but still say you're a large. In between those jumps there will be riding to do

Nice, is it the white one? From the riding you're desribeing a medium maybe better(especially if you're planning big jumps) but still say you're a large. In between those jumps there will be riding to do

yep, its the white one..def going to start by changing the fork and rear shock in the next couple of months.

yep, its the white one..def going to start by changing the fork and rear shock in the next couple of months.

If you're gonna change the fork and shock within a couple months, then why not wait and get the better specked bike rather?

Could end up saving yourself some monies :thumbup: