29er setup vs 26er setup

duringd

Yes, I know there are a whole lot of titbits on The Hub re 29ers, so please just point me in the right direction if I ask something that has been dealt with before.....

I am brand new to the 29er fraternity, got myself a nice Giant Anthem X. My 26 was also an Anthem and so I was thinking that the setup should be rather similar? Unfortuately I get the feeling I'm sitting too low, is this just because of the new ride or is it necessary for me to redo my whole setup?

Second Q, is it the done thing to have a riser bar on a 29er?

Third Q, Bar ends??? I always felt more comfortable climbing with these on my 26, so are they the done thing in the 29er setup?

Fourth Q, does anyone know why the heck the bike does not have a bottle cage mounting on the bottom side of the downtube (hope this is the right name)?

As you can see I'm really new to all of this, so help will be appreciated!

I have both my 26er and 29er set up similarly, so when I change from one to another it does not feel too strange. I use a riser on both my 26er and 29er as I feel more comfortable sitting a little more upright, as I am no racing snake. I don't use bar ends, my preference. I suppose the bottle cage mounting depends on each manufacturer. Enjoy your circus bike, I certainly am....

Yes, I know there are a whole lot of titbits on The Hub re 29ers, so please just point me in the right direction if I ask something that has been dealt with before.....

I am brand new to the 29er fraternity, got myself a nice Giant Anthem X. My 26 was also an Anthem and so I was thinking that the setup should be rather similar? Unfortuately I get the feeling I'm sitting too low, is this just because of the new ride or is it necessary for me to redo my whole setup?

As long as you've set your saddle height and sag the same you should be fine. My Talon 29er also feels like I'm sitting lower - like, more below the handlebar, if that makes sense - but when I put it next to my other bikes it seems right.

Second Q, is it the done thing to have a riser bar on a 29er?

I swapped the flat bar that came with mine for a riser.

Third Q, Bar ends??? I always felt more comfortable climbing with these on my 26, so are they the done thing in the 29er setup?

Totally up to you. But on a riser?!!!!!!!!!!! :o Had to do that for Bigben, as he's busy traipsing around the Cape at the moment.

Fourth Q, does anyone know why the heck the bike does not have a bottle cage mounting on the bottom side of the downtube (hope this is the right name)?

A bottle wouldn't last long there. :lol:

As you can see I'm really new to all of this, so help will be appreciated!

Hi

Also just changed to the Anthem X 29er - awesome.

I understand that the BB is lower to help with center of gravity - I also feel that I am lower to the ground, have clipped the crank once or twice in turns.

Flat bar - 680mm, far too wide so I took 2cm off both sides.

Bottle would get destroyed I think - get a seat post mount and decent rear cage.

Enjoy the bike

I was in the same predicament I went for a new setup and stretched myself out by 2cm so moved saddle back 2cm and also had saddle raised about 6mm

all this was done using the ergofit system

I found on the 29er I was a bit cramped even though the main triangle appearrs to be identical when measured up to the 26 I would say I feel a bit racier but more comfy, been doing a bit of road riding for Argus so feel I can stretch out more and definitely better on single track because the weight is back a bit more

I do a little time trial up the wapad ( hence the name ) on ou kaapse weg and definitely quicker and more stable especially on those tricky sections that are so loose at the moment but then like a bullet down hill

I took that wide bar off and using a WC carbon noir with slight rise and sweep and 63cm wide nice thing about that bar is that the oversize section is lekker to hold onto when grinding on flat sections almost like a tt position

did you see how many people were on the Anthem 29er for the epic you bought the right bike thats for sure

I also went from the Saguaro 2.2 to the spez fast traks 2.0 and they rolling nice an easy, I run them a bit harder at 2.0 bar as opposed to the Saguaros which have more volume so can run them lower

I had a bottle cage on the seatpost but it jumped out once to many times nothing worse than reaching for a bottle and there is nothing there

here is the beast for a large sitting just over 12kgs without any real cash outlay

post-14048-0-03351800-1301684793.jpg

Edited by wapad