MTB becomes road racing!

Ridemyplanet

Don't worry, I don't get any of your ramblings or arguments either! Your logic seems self-serving and vague. I quite like the random pointlessness of it all. Well done, you will survive long here on the Hub!

If you think there are less druggies in mtb than on the road then you really must believe in the Easter bunny too! Some cyclists dope whether they are roadies or mountainbikes (or roadie mountainbikers like some of the Epic riders!).

Thanks for agreeing road has more legends. Glad to know we agree on something!

I would like to debate some of your other points, but I don't actually get your deductions about my opinions. Any chance of being less vague?

...and lighten up. This is just for fun. I mean, if you were really serious about cycling you would be riding the Epic today! Right?

Glad to know we won't meet on the trails...

Edited by EvilRabbit

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I would like to see that fat man Merckx and Overend battle it out, on Merckx's bike of choice of course.

OK, let me get this straight, you're saying on an alpine stage or a Paris-Roubaix you are saying Overend will beat Merckx? Based on what facts? I am really curious.

Glad to know we won't meet in the trails...

What makes you think I don't ride a mountainbike? I play for both teams ;-)

Just a lot harder hey. No peletons to suck you along at 30% capacity. Ask any roadie who has done a proper Mtb stage event if its the same and see what he sais. NOT EVEN CLOSE MATE.

today's epic stage spent 7km on tar and they called it the toughest stage ever.

Note that Sauser took part in the Tour de Boland and Darren Lill easily beat him. Daryl Impey also timetrialed away from Burry at SA Champs, so it seems the road guys are looking tougher at this point.

I guess I will add my few cents worth:

the main difference - in my opinion - between MTB and Road is the consistancy in torque over terrain... This makes for serious differences in training. MTB alternates where road is more consistant... dont forget that riding in a bunch at the speeds the roadies do is not for the feint hearted.. as well as tearing down rough terrain on a MTB :clap:

if you ride on a straight flat road at amble pace obviously it will be easy for road and MTB... any ride can be hard... we all just train as hard as we can to maintain a pace just below BLOW!

If you think any race/trail is easy... you are not riding hard enough!! :P

Wait, let me go pack my bike. I have to ride in Vlaanderen on Saturday with a roadbike on a road not even fit for a hardtail! I'll leave your guys to theorise about life while I go and live it ;-)

My Hero :w00t:

...and lighten up. This is just for fun. I mean, if you were really serious about cycling you would be riding the Epic today! Right?

Likweise, Holland is not that far from Cape Town.

OK, let me get this straight, you're saying on an alpine stage or a Paris-Roubaix you are saying Overend will beat Merckx? Based on what facts? I am really curious.

Simple deductions.

Your legend will win with the cream pie contest.

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/02/11/2180827/Eddy%20Merckx-420x0.jpg

My legend even finished well in to the top 5 at 55 in his national CX race a few years back and still looks as fit as a fiddle well in to 2011.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7PYLvbtyS04/R0XL-F60K4I/AAAAAAAAB7Q/du4K17iNomM/s400/2007UC3pic1.jpg

So let's get a battle of the Legends, Belgian v Californian, we can even give Overend handicaps for the 10 year deficit :thumbup:

Note that Sauser took part in the Tour de Boland and Darren Lill easily beat him. Daryl Impey also timetrialed away from Burry at SA Champs, so it seems the road guys are looking tougher at this point.

Yip, have to agree there, can't argue that can we :thumbup:

Friend of mine who rode a 2:48 argus (109km) this year finished yesterdays 107km stage in 7 hours 28 minutes :P

I think they are riding more technical terain as a pose to going further.

The first day was 89km and He rode 6hrs thats a long time for 89km!

I think your mate is in need of more training. Soft cock mountain bikers.

Wish we could get Lill and Impey to team up at the epic and then we could have a comparison both ways.

Wish we could get Lill and Impey to team up at the epic and then we could have a comparison both ways.

Lill also had a very strong team working for him at Boland, as he did when he won at the SA Champs. Impey seems to have some hassles staying upright on the tar, something that may get worse on dirt.

Lill also had a very strong team working for him at Boland, as he did when he won at the SA Champs. Impey seems to have some hassles staying upright on the tar, something that may get worse on dirt.

Well neither of them have been able to ride alongside Cadel Evans, and Cadel himself used to be burried by Sauser.

Stupid comparisons we are making, but let's keep the boat rocking :lol:

Bit of a contradiction from your side.

Entry level MTB's are much more affordable than entry level road bikes so there is mo reason why there should not be more people on MTB's.

As for comparing Argus numbers road VS. off road, who knows, in years to come this might just level out.

Skills, well yes riding off road takes a bit more skill than hanging on to a pair of STI's, so people are scared, as for me, I will rather take my chances down a washed out rutted single-track than the Jo'Burg motorists.

Right said Dangle- stole the words from my mouth :lol:

"Perhaps the question to ask - is why is mtn biking such an elitist sport, excluding so many (expensive, needs "special skills" etc)"

I started with a R1k bike and a R300 helmet- find me a cricket/hockey/tennis kit worth less...

What i don't get is this constant "us vs them" thing, roadies vs mtb'ers... what the hell?

My first bicycle was a girls bicycle when i was about 5yrs old, it was the best bike ever! I rode it around the block a thousand times every day. I got sunburnt to a crisp, blisters on my hands and neck. I just kept going with my mates. Then a bmx, holy crap, awesomeness. Road bike followed years later. Then the mountain bike. And ever since then i've always had both.

I ride bicycles. I don't care if it's a road or mountain bike. I don't care if you're a so called "roadie" or think you're some tough guy mountain biker. As long as you ride a bicycle. To me we're all cyclists.

A bunch of guys who rode bombers with tekkies don't make a legend. These guys can at best be classified as cult characters with the emphasis on characters. Legends they are not... Coppi, Bartali, Merckx, Armstrong, Pantani, Anquetil, Poulidor -those are LEGENDS!

...as for drug taking, the worst kind of drug cheats came from mountainbiking: Landis and Rasmussen - druggies with NO character!

Jeese guy you really have mastered Talking out your POEPHOL. YOUR road racing is infested with druggies mate. Every week you hear of another top roadie eating PRIME SPANISH BEEF. Of course these guys were tainted when they got on the road bike. When last did you hear of a top And I mean top mtb rider testing positive for DRUGS. :blush: ............................. STILL WAITING. :o

True Caerus! And Lamber, if I had a point, I never knew what it was. However, I'm in the mood today where it's easier and safer to call MTBers morons, because calling the morons around me MTBers wouldn't be as effective or meaningful or ... well, anything.

I feel inspired by the advocate who told the judge, "Jou Ma se ..." yesterday. (This may come from spending Tuesday,from 8:15am to 3:15pm at SARS, only to be told that I had to go to another office to do what I needed to.)

Anyway, MTB can't become road racing until they get coffee shops in the forests.

Bhahahahaha, koek en tee in die bos! Classic! :lol:

Nothingness - (serious question) do you know how many people watch the TdF and the spring races ?

Possibly any stats on how this compares to say the Epic or any of the other *big* mountain bike rides ?

Wish I did, but unfortunately not. I did do some googling, though, and found this quite interesting:

The Tour de France is broadcast in 186 countries; 2,500 journalists, photographers, cameramen and consultants; 1,800 technicians, pilots and drivers.

260 cameramen, including 30 from France Télévisions, on behalf of 121 TV channels with live coverage on 60 channels and pictures broadcast in 186 countries.

70 photo agencies; 72 radio stations, 350 publications or accredited agencies.

(from the official website http://www.letour.fr)

The Epic was and will be broadcast live on SuperSport on 27 March and 3 April - apparently its the first time that a mountainbike stage race has ever been broadcast live.

"The Absa Cape Epic is .... the most televised mountain bike race of all time. Since its inception in 2004, the Absa Cape Epic has generated more than 10 000 hours (excluding the 2009 race) of international TV coverage in Europe, America, the Middle East and Africa"

(http://www.linkedin.com/company/absa-cape-epic)

The latter is quite impressive for a new race (except if the international TV coverage includes Supersport in other African countries with MultiChoice like Namibia and Botswana because Supersport repeats their programmes so many times it would be hard not to reach 10 000 hours :) ) .