Is that too much?

ebenvn

Hi guys.

Yesterday I installed a RockShox Reba team, and compared to my old steerer, they were the same length. After installation, I have a small pice protruding at the top (I swear my old one was flush).

Is this fine or will it be a issue?

post-20111-0-59271300-1301486444.jpg

Better too long than too short, she said... ;)

If it bugs you, cut it off. Otherwise just put a spacer on top of your stem and be done with it.

As is you can not preload the headset. You will have to either add a spacer above or below the stem.

Edited by Mampara

this shoud be fine! just buy a speacer kit and slip one on. i wouldnt even boher cutting it

Yip, looks like you might need just the 5mm spacer just on the top. you need 1 - 2mm between the top of the spacer and the top of the tube for your top cap to squash down on. That being said, how did you get the fork to sit properly? You need to tighten (slightly) the top cap down first to seat everything before you tighten the stem bolts.

It doesnt bother me, I just dont want something to go wrong... :o

Read the above from Mampara and myself, you need to pre-load the headset and this you cant do without adding the spacer. You might be asking for trouble if this is not done correctly.

As is you can not preload the headset. You will have to either add a spade above or below the stem.

A spade? I reckon a bottle opener would be better...

Thx guys :clap: :clap: :clap: - sorry if this is a simple question :blink: - I did a lot of searching but couldnt find much. What is the correct way to install it? How do I pre-set it?

I also need to get the pressures right, but from what ive read I need a schock pump...

Thx guys :clap: :clap: :clap: - sorry if this is a simple question :blink: - I did a lot of searching but couldnt find much. What is the correct way to install it? How do I pre-set it?

I also need to get the pressures right, but from what ive read I need a schock pump...

the spacers need to be a little higher than the fork tube (1-2mm). do NOT ride it as it is in the picture!!!

either you need to:

*get a mtb service manual...will save time and effort in long run

*go on a training course

*web search like here: My link - overkill, but hey!

*use your LBS

Now I just need a spacer - what a mission in Witbank!

Anyone doing Mankele the weekend who's keen to make a delivery fee? (and maybe help to ensure I dont die with some or other fork failure....?)

either you need to:

*get a mtb service manual...will save time and effort in long run

*go on a training course

*web search like here: My link - overkill, but hey!

*use your LBS

Thx for the suggestion. Im more keen to do as much as possible self. Not that I mind taking it to my LBS, but there nothing here (closest is propably Fritz in Pta).

I just couldnt wait to the next time we go through, so thought id give it a go...