Cost of Events

deanmor

Do you think the cost of events is too high?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the cost of events is too high?

• Yes
    • No

I don't have to justify how I spend my money, nor does the guy who goes to Monaco for a race in stead of going to Killarney to watch the modified saloons on a Saturday morning. The point is that if the Epic was too expensive, it would not be oversubscribed every year. We pay 30% to 40% more for motor cars in SA. Are they (too)expensive? YES, compared to other countries. Do we still buy them? YES

If I paid R300 000 iso R400 000 for my last car, I would have been able to enter for the Epic, pay my partner's fees and have enough cash for 2 brand new 29'ers to ride the race with ;)

It wasn't in referance to how you spend your money at all, how you do that is your indaba. It was rather justifying the cost of the race. Im glad that you can afford to do what you're saying. Like I also said, if you have the money do it. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I think the point I'm trying to make here is one of value. For my wife and I to ride the 60km at Karkloof, all in, we're looking at R600 - R700 for the morning.

Now, I can go there on any other day and pay a R20-R30 indemnity fee, and ride all I want. In essence, they are wanting to now charge me R200+ for what amounts to 3 to 4 water stops. Based on the last two events (Marathon at Inanda and the Holla Trails 50km), the water tables are costing me abt R100 per water stop. That is what I'm effectively getting for my money.

Now, I'm not advocating that we only pay for what we consume. I'm willing to pay a fair amount for the organisation, etc. I don't want the ride for nothing.

In my opinion, about R100- R120 is fair for the ride. Any more than that is, in my opinion excessive. Everyone has their own value peg, and I'm fairly sure that the charges now being levied for these rides are beyond most people's value peg, as evidenced by the results of this poll. (And to belay any ad-hominem attacks, it is not about what I earn, or can afford; I can afford the prices).

The 60km ride at Karkloof is limited to 800 riders. Assuming the ride is fully subscribed beforehand, that amounts to a whopping R136 000 (800 x R170). And that is JUST for the 60km event. So what is the purposes of the sponsors being there?

I'm not against profit making; what I am against is a for-profit company gouging consumers; this is why I have asked CSA for an explanation as to why I'm now paying a R110 fee (including the a R35 fee to be a member of some obscure KZN organisation). I would like a full explanation of why the fees are so exhorbitant, particularly as this year I now have to do some bureaucratic running around to satisfy their requirements!

I'd wager that within a short period of time a critical mass of people will be taking action by not attending races. Even worse, they'll pitch up and ride without paying. Either way, the net revenues will be lower, leading to the organisers raising prices, making it even more unaffordable. And that will lead to organisers attempting to remove these riders from the course, resulting in a legal wrangle (the organisers are not the land owners, and thus they have no authority to remove people from private land. Even less so on public land).

Hypothetically, come Sunday, if I'm out riding at Karkloof and there happens to be a race organised, what right do they have to deny me access to the land, particularly if I've paid my R20 indemnity?

CSA and race organisers listen up: I want clarity on your charges, and a reason as to why I should pay your fees (whether they are exhorbitant or not depends on what I get for my money).

Dean

Actually Deanmor I think you posted a well thought out letter.

This year my wife and I refused to pay the CSA fee, its again got nothing to do with cost, I spend more than that on coffee daily, so its to do with value, in fact there is none.....and I am not in the habit of paying for nothing.

So, consequently, as they will want a day license fee I wont be doing many races, so the organisers of events will lose my money too - and its really not even their fault. That sucks for them I bet.

I too will be watching with interest for the CSA reply, but, I wont be holding my breath.

I am not in the habit of paying for nothing.

So, consequently, as they will want a day license fee I wont be doing many races, so the organisers of events will lose my money too - and its really not even their fault. That sucks for them I bet.

I've started, like many others, to make the same fuss. Some organisers let it go at registration and those that don't I walk away from.

How come if I pay the day licence I dont start with the "Licensed Riders" :D

I've tried without succcess so far to try and get a once off yearly sub in order to race without have to pay the more expensive day fee option (I dont mind supporting but do mind getting fleeced) but have been unable as I dont belong to a club. I dont want to belong to a club - I have my own kit and my own friends.

So the race organiser will suffer. Dean is right - I'll just pay the indemnity or entrance fee on the normal day and carry on regardless.

We want value for money and I think that is what many have missed the point of with giving the Epic fee example. The folk riding the Epic are happy with its value proposition. But paying R200 for the same track you can ride any other day for R20 to R50 and then not get much else to add the value difference - Doesn't make sense. R100 per water table - hell I dont even stop at them ! :thumbup:

Edited by Klaus