Tech skill @ MTN PARK

AIRMAVRICK

Haha, I don't dare to try the big one yet!

I just tested some of the wooden bridge near the start and climbing out of tunnel under the highway. Those enough to make me almost fell off. :blush:

I was there around 4.50pm, going around on those green.. tried some wetland, than scared off when i tried the intermediate trail over the highway. (not the zombie, is the one beside main road, keep up and down...). Just got my cleat shoe as well, 1st time using cleat shoe on climbing is kind of horrible, lost momentum and could not use leg to keep balance....

Have to fight off some fear factor....

Nice, with those bridges you just need to get momentum and you will get up them quickly. I think I saw you yesterday where you with a friend? I was the guy on a blue giant.

MTB is a huge confidence factor to it, to excel in it you will have to get a little fearless and put some faith in the equipment you have. You will be amazed what your bike can do!

Man I just feel like riding again, theres a black route Im itching to try, but I only see downhill and trail bikes on it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss the bridge of dead on angel grinder.

You could really stick your chest out if you made it through with out putting a foot down.

haha! that bridge was so narrow and high, if one did put their foot down I doubt they'd be able to tell any stories, haha!

But seeing as how you miss that bridge... have you tried the one at the back of the BMX track on 'Space Junk'. It's about as narrow with a steap descent onto a terraced trail with a sharp right hairpin at the end. Possibly more challenging than the old 'Angle Grinder' one

Nice, with those bridges you just need to get momentum and you will get up them quickly. I think I saw you yesterday where you with a friend? I was the guy on a blue giant.

MTB is a huge confidence factor to it, to excel in it you will have to get a little fearless and put some faith in the equipment you have. You will be amazed what your bike can do!

Man I just feel like riding again, theres a black route Im itching to try, but I only see downhill and trail bikes on it.

oh cool! Which black route is that Airmavrick?

oh cool! Which black route is that Airmavrick?

Ok, when you enter the park and cycle directly towards the highway, cycling on a dirt road with the high bridges on your ight and left. you will reach a T-Junction, turn left and before going under the highway, there is a bridge which you can cycle alongside the highway towards main road, you cycle for about 50 metres and the road turns to the left, just soon after that there is an entrance on the right to a black diamond.

Saw a guy go on it yesterday and it looked pretty awesome!

I was alone, with silver Trek...

Aiks... this week going outstation, will have to visit again after next week.

Ok, when you enter the park and cycle directly towards the highway, cycling on a dirt road with the high bridges on your ight and left. you will reach a T-Junction, turn left and before going under the highway, there is a bridge which you can cycle alongside the highway towards main road, you cycle for about 50 metres and the road turns to the left, just soon after that there is an entrance on the right to a black diamond.

Saw a guy go on it yesterday and it looked pretty awesome!

oh yeah, that's 'Space Junk'. It is way fun. the first steepish descent there has been made smooth so those tree roots aren't an issue for those who were a bit nervous of them before.

It's perfectly do-able on an XC bike. Even further along where it has the concrete platform drop off in the reeds... that's XC bikable too.

Good trail, Space Junk! That and the top section of Zombie (with the 3 gap jumps) are my favourite

oh yeah, that's 'Space Junk'. It is way fun. the first steepish descent there has been made smooth so those tree roots aren't an issue for those who were a bit nervous of them before.

It's perfectly do-able on an XC bike. Even further along where it has the concrete platform drop off in the reeds... that's XC bikable too.

Good trail, Space Junk! That and the top section of Zombie (with the 3 gap jumps) are my favourite

Awesome will try and give it a go, I tend to always fall on the virgin route :clap:

I really like the add on at the top of Zombie, nice tight turns and the jumps are pretty cool!What I do enjoy now just after the steep climb (which I managed for the first time yesterday :D ) they broken the route in two...

Do you know where you can go for some basic tech skills, or am I doing it correctly; Fall and learn from it :D :clap:

Cyclelab Fourways now have some MTB clinic@MTN Bikepark at Saturday morning... may be I should sign up for one of those....

If your stuck trying to go up something, do a 180 on the route and go down... on it P-)

Lol, find it tough as well, it sure works the legs...It must be the best course of the lot there!!

where is the frikken pic of the hill. How can you expect Capies - masters of mountains and hills - to respond with anything other than "learn to ride' unl;ess we can see the problem :D

where is the frikken pic of the hill. How can you expect Capies - masters of mountains and hills - to respond with anything other than "learn to ride' unl;ess we can see the problem :D

YEAH!! Still no pichas???

Are these similar to Oak valley bridges?

Did Space Junk two weeks back - the one long dropoff (hehehe long-drop) leads into two gap jumps. Did it the first time and nailed it. Second time didnt scrub off enough speed and hit the first ramp way too hard, landed on my front wheel...on the second ramp, which sent me flying.

Xrays showed no crakced ribs, but Im still semi-out of action with damaged ligaments in my shoulder.

Next time I'll have to bring more skill :blush:

Did Space Junk two weeks back - the one long dropoff (hehehe long-drop) leads into two gap jumps. Did it the first time and nailed it. Second time didnt scrub off enough speed and hit the first ramp way too hard, landed on my front wheel...on the second ramp, which sent me flying.

Xrays showed no crakced ribs, but Im still semi-out of action with damaged ligaments in my shoulder.

Next time I'll have to bring more skill :blush:

ouch! but not to worry... even the mighty tumbleweed has seen his button-hole while transversing those 2 gap jumps, haha!

...and quite a few (myself and tumbleweed included) have fallen off that bridge just after the plank jump over the pipe. (near the beginning of the trail). I learnt a very sore lesson that day... don't ride a 19kg bike around the bike park for 6hrs straight and expect to have all one's technical abilities working 100%, haha! Fatigue is a killer!

But yeah.. a bit further along the trail is the platform drop off. Some poor dude was once following me and went OTB as he tipped over the edge of the drop... face ploughed into the descent. Wasn't pretty :blink:

But yeah.. a bit further along the trail is the platform drop off. Some poor dude was once following me and went OTB as he tipped over the edge of the drop... face ploughed into the descent. Wasn't pretty :blink:

Came close to something similar the first time I went to bike park - was there to test a bike and did some tracks to get to know the place and proceeded into Drop-Zone. Followed the last right hand turn I picked the middle drop off not seeing the double diamond board.

Thanks to plush suspension the step half way down didnt throw me OTB, but I was super thankful I was wearing black bibs that day... :D

haha! that bridge was so narrow and high, if one did put their foot down I doubt they'd be able to tell any stories, haha!

But seeing as how you miss that bridge... have you tried the one at the back of the BMX track on 'Space Junk'. It's about as narrow with a steap descent onto a terraced trail with a sharp right hairpin at the end. Possibly more challenging than the old 'Angle Grinder' one

Yeah I know that skinny bridge well. Still puckers up my cheeks some days.

As for the terraced drop I haven't had any issues with it (dont weigh much and use a 203/180 rotor combo) but its def hectic for the larger guys. Thats were Ricky Bobby went over the bars and was airlifted out.