Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

How much are day passes? I've lived here for 3 years and haven't been there which is unacceptable, Something I shall correct this weekend! :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to say too much about the "New Green Loop" other than it will test your climbing skills and fitness level. But of course you can dismount and push when you run out of gas and still get to enjoy the view from the top. I'll reserve further comment for those who ride it tomorrow.

Rode it on Saturday in the wind - hectic climbs! If the long green loop can be combined with the new red single track, it will make for very sweet (sweat?) ride from Hazendal or Zevenwacht.

If the long green loop can be combined with the new red single track, it will make for very sweet (sweat?) ride from Hazendal or Zevenwacht.

This can be done. From green, the price to pay is to repeat the jeep track section of the climb (after you have done the red single track).

The big build for the year is a new addition to the Red and Purple routes and arrives as an optional addition to your ride. Be aware however that it is more technical and challenging than our existing routes. It requires some bedding in and will be tricky in places so have your wits about you. You're bound to grin or even smile on the way down, but the climb back out will wipe that off your face. The image is a rough one as I haven't plotted it yet but you'll get the idea. So if you up for a challenge then look out for the signage as indicated on the image. Adds about 2,5km to your ride.

What is the plan at the first hairpin bend on the climbing side of the new red single track?

When I was there last, two lines had been cleared, with one blocked off.

However the blocked off line is the better line.

The present line gives a very tight bend going over rock, which will be impossible to ride for most (all?) riders.

The other line has the hairpin slightly lower down so that you can turn before going over the rock. Ridable for most.

The plan is to further widen the bend to allow you to turn before climbing. The blocked off option has a hairpin that is far worse and will require continuous maintenance. Some of the other climbing bends also require a little work to get them just right.

Rode it on Saturday in the wind - hectic climbs! If the long green loop can be combined with the new red single track, it will make for very sweet (sweat?) ride from Hazendal or Zevenwacht.

Can be done as Mountain Lion explained, will be included as one of the "Route options" but will not be named as an individual loop.

The plan is to further widen the bend to allow you to turn before climbing. The blocked off option has a hairpin that is far worse and will require continuous maintenance. Some of the other climbing bends also require a little work to get them just right.

Oh, OK. Obviously I did not try the blocked-off option, although the line did look better to me at first glance.

In general this new single track is awesome. I did not have a problem with any of the other bends.

It just needs more wheels over it (and some light rain) to bed it in.

Now if you guys can obtain permission to extend the single track on the return section of "long purple" instead of going straight back up the jeep track like it is now, all my wishes for this area of the trails will have been granted! :devil:

Keep up the good work! :clap:

Would love to fulfill your wishes however, in the near future their exists a distinct possibility that the area in question be fenced off to accomodate some Cape Buffalo. So unless you fancy your chances and have Sagan legs I assume you would be in agreement that it should remain a wish.

We would rather not spend time and money on a short term trail to join the return purple when it could be better spent elsewhere.

Aprreciate the feedback and enthusiasm and all suggestions and comments pass through the mill for consideration. Rider feedback is after all the best measure of a trail.

Well if that is the case, then I agree.

Great that game will be brought back, but buffalo and cyclists should rather stay far apart.

Unfortunate, since there is potential for great single track and I doubt that the buffalo will want to venture onto the steep slopes under the pine trees. They prefer flat grasslands.

There are many other areas in the conservatory though where single track can be built.

Hi guys. I'd like to re-affirm that no night riding is allowed on our trails. Do not start your ride if you know you will not make it out before dark. If you need a light to see where you are going then you don't belong there. Got an irate call from a fellow landowner wanting to know why riders ( at least 10 ) were on his property at 20h30 last night.

Rode the new red single track yesterday. Surface was really well compacted. Downhill section great fun, switchbacks work well with the little uphill bits acting as a natural brake. Uphill section - ooh boy, those switchbacks are tight & steep! Tried the first one over the rock 3 times and still didn't make it. Need a lot more practice to avoid putting a foot down. This is a great addition to Bot Hills and if ridden together with the long green loop presents a serious challenge imho.

We looking at alternatives for the the first two "up" switchbacks. Too tight, very few will manage the turn and make it over the rock.