Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to try my kids on the orange route at radish. So I will buy my permit from Devonvalle.

You can buy permits at Radish from 08h00 onwards, if you want to start earlier then start from Devonvale.

The intimidating chicane on the upside of the "optional 2.4km singletrack" through Wolfkloof Valley has been rerouted. Took us a while to figure out an alternative but we have and its rideable.

I believe you guys are still having trouble with chops who abuse / enter the trails illegally or just hold onto the number boards for multiple days .... if so ... moer them ;)

The intimidating chicane on the upside of the "optional 2.4km singletrack" through Wolfkloof Valley has been rerouted. Took us a while to figure out an alternative but we have and its rideable.

Thanks Hellwarp

Unfortunately I had a hand opp yesterday, so will be off the bike for a few weeks. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Just got an update on the overall condition of the trails from our Marshalls. Considering the weather we've had, the trails, especially the singletracks are in good condition. Some of the farm roads suffered damage which will hopefully be repaired soon. We not through the woods yet as there is more rain in the forecast.

So overall the trails are riding well but be on the lookout after heavy rain for weather damage. Rain predicted for Wednesday but should be fine for a ride by the weekend.

Edited by Hellwarp

Went through the woods on Saturday afternoon.

Quite a lot of tree branches on the trail.

Cleared a few of them but there are about 3 big trees that needs to be cut up.

Have cleared the single track through the woods today and cut up and removed the bigger trees as well. Will head back to the green route tomorrow to drain some of the puddles.

Overall the single tracks are in good condition taken into account the amount of rain we had.

Just be careful on some of the farm roads which are rutted in places.

I managed to do the yellow loop this weekend after some weeks off the bike.

The little bridge across the overflow of the dam has sagged into the water. Still ridable, but should be fixed when time allows.

Rest of the farm roads have mostly already been repaired by the owners where needed.

Glad to read that most of the trails held up well to the recent rains.

Just a friendly request to please stay away from the trails for the next week and give the trails time to dry out. Riding the trails after the amount of rain we received, will cause damage and will increase the maintenance that will be needed.

Save yourself a big service bill on your bike and rather go and chase the roadies on tar this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Sup guys, hope you're all doing well!

Been out in the hills for the last 2 nights on the green/red loops and for the 2 days I've found 9 ticks all attached to my socks.

1 last night and 8 tonight! Please keep an eye out!

Geniet dit!

Sup guys, hope you're all doing well!

Been out in the hills for the last 2 nights on the green/red loops and for the 2 days I've found 9 ticks all attached to my socks.

1 last night and 8 tonight! Please keep an eye out!

Geniet dit!

@ Mopkop

I see you use the word "night", so I assume you were riding at night with lights. If this is indeed the case, please take note that NO night-riding is allowed on any of the Bottelary routes. There were a number of posts on this thread regarding this, so if you are doing night-rides, please stop it immediately. If you need to use a light, you should be off the trails.

We like to welcome all riders to the Bottelary routes, but please, do not ride at night, otherwise the farmers will shut us down.

Edited by dirtman

@ Mopkop

I see you use the word "night", so I assume you were riding at night with lights. If this is indeed the case, please take note that NO night-riding is allowed on any of the Bottelary routes. There were a number of posts on this thread regarding this, so if you are doing night-rides, please stop it immediately. If you need to use a light, you should be off the trails.

We like to welcome all riders to the Bottelary routes, but please, do not ride at night, otherwise the farmers will shut us down.

My bad, I was meant to say late afternoon. I am aware that we're not allowed to ride @ night.

My apologies for the mis-understanding

• 2 weeks later...

Gistermiddag long green loop gery. Die twee steil opdraandes aan die begin is beslis nou meer rybaar. Trail in die algemeeen in 'n goeie toestand met net 'n paar modderkolle.

Baie jammer dat 'n groot deel van die bloekombos aan die einde van die groen roete afgesaag is. Dit neem heelwat weg van die bekoring van daardie stuk ST.