Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

We put in a shortcut between the Green Loop and Red Route for riders wanting to reach the Red Route without cycling to the top of the Green Loop. Coming up the Green Loop from Hazendal side there's a long climb along a fence. At the top of the climb there's a right hand bend, on this bend is a sign directing you LEFT to the shorcut. Follow the PINK arrows to link up with the Red Route. Will have a map of it up on the site later. Enjoy !

Map indicating shortcut is up on the website http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=435

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was anybody else confronted by black guy on the green loop yesterday afternoon?

Shortly after joining the green loop from the red this guy appeared from behind a bush and stood looking at me. Asked me which way I was going and when he saw I was not alone he started jogging up the hill.

He spoke english, was neatly dressed and definately not one of the farm workers! We passed a police vehicle shortly after near Zevenwacht and informed them about what happened.

Hope it was somebody just passing by!

Hi Musashi

Could you possibly indicate on the route map where you are referring to. Take a screenshot of the "blue loop out of red route" map and paste in Microsoft "Paint" http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=435

Make a mark where you got lost so we can take a look. Send it to info@bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za

Hellwarp, I may have gotten lost or missed a sign (it wouldn't be the first time), but at the spot marked in the red circle I went up straight (all the way to the top). I didn't spot a sign indicating that I should go left, but like I said, I may have just missed it.

post-7237-0-32184700-1307990221.jpg

Hi Musashi

Ok cool will check it out, could very well be that there is an arrow missing there.

Thanks for marking the spot. I actually thought you got lost where the blue links back up with the red, that you took a right there and ended up at the big red and white tower.

Lost my way on the blue route today. I got to the top (at the substation/cell tower) and was presented with 2 options and no signs. Where did I go wrong?

Hi Musashi

There is (or should be - I have not been there since marking the route!) a marker on a vineyard pole in the red circle directing you to turn left. I assume you were so charged up to get to the top at the masts that you missed it!

Did you ride all the way to the top? If so, well done, as it is a 110 m climb over a distance of just 800 m.

PS: We have an extra route in the pipeline that will take you close to the masts, but we first need to check how wet it will be towards the end of winter to decide if it will be rideable and safe to open it or not.

Yip, all the way to the top. I was so focused on this steep climb (remembering the 29% gradient on the info board), I probably missed the sign.

It actually makes for a good climb. I remember thinking "Bloody hell, this will make me strong!". And I think it goes to pretty much the highest point in the area. If you guys can lay out a route that includes this hill, I'll certainly try to include it in my rides.

Hellwarp & Dirtman, Thanks for all the work you are doing planning out more routes.

Request: please try to find some flatter, easier routes for novices and children.

I realise that between the topology of the area and landowner constraints this is not an easy task, but at present the orange loop is the only option for people that do not (yet) enjoy the steep climbs.

Many riders I spoke to on (and off) the trails have requested this.

I know it is not possible to please everybody all the time (I want more single track :rolleyes: )

Keep up the good work!

Hi guys, I'm looking for training buddies to cycle with at Bottelary Hills MTB trails, on Mondays 16:30, Wednesdays 16:30 and Saturday mornings. All levels welcome, we can split the group in a beginner & intermediate level if there is a big difference in skills levels. If anybody is interested, please email me at mtb@outsourcegenius.com, or contact me at Tel. 084 40 45678. Thanks!

Please note, the Only One Restuarant will be closed for permit sales from 23rd -30th June 2011 for their annual winter break. Please use Hazendal Wine Estate as an alternate start venue or buy a permit from the 24hr Star Mart shop. This shop is situated at Devon Place Caltex Garage, corner of R44 and Bottelary Rd. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Hi, Thank you guys for the great routes right in my back yard.

I want to raise a concern though.

Was riding the green route on Sunday morning and ran into a couple of riders who quite willingly admitted to not paying the fee and had no intention of doing so. According to them they have been riding the farm roads for years without problem

Naturally trying to explain the delicate balance between having routes on privately owned land or not was fruitless. Route maintenance etc, according to them, also seemed to be done by the elves residing in the hills.

Is their any way of reporting illegal riders?

How should we treat these parasites?

I thought of taking photos and posting them here, I'm sure a name and shame campaign will go a long way to discourage pirate riders.

Hi Eugee

Thanks for informing us, we will be "tightening the noose" on freeloaders as we cannot allow the trend to continue. The sustainability of the trails relies on people paying to ride. You did what you could by explaining the rules to the riders you encountered.

We will inform landowners and managers that the "grace" period is now over and anyone found riding without permits will be delt with accordingly. I don't think it will be long before some people get nailed for trespassing.

Hi Eugee

Thanks for informing us, we will be "tightening the noose" on freeloaders as we cannot allow the trend to continue. The sustainability of the trails relies on people paying to ride. You did what you could by explaining the rules to the riders you encountered.

We will inform landowners and managers that the "grace" period is now over and anyone found riding without permits will be delt with accordingly. I don't think it will be long before some people get nailed for trespassing.

Its my pleasure, Ive been waiting years for trails close to home, not going to let a couple of idiots take that away from us.

Hi guys, do you know when Zevenwacht will be added. I sent them an email to enquire if I can ride on the farm and they advised it is OK, but soon permits will be required. Please confirm that I am still riding legally for free, I am happy to pay for a permit if required. I'm still a novice so basically using the farm too train and improve MTB skills...

Hi Hearts

Can't disclose too much as we cannot speak on their behalf, but we have met with them recently. They are part of the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy and we're excited at the prospect of extending the Bottelary Hills MTB Trails to Zevenwacht. If you have their permission then you can continue to ride there until such time as a permit may be required.

I want the annual permit so do i download the form, fill it in and take it with me and the money on a ride tomorrow and collect my board at the start?