Tour De France Trip

dagwood123

So I am one lucky guy that was given a B/day present from my wife in January

it include a trip to this years TDF and i am lucky that i will be riding the last 10 days with a tour.....

Now i am quite fit as a ride and train 6 days a week....but what I need is advise from people thats been there before

I hear stuff like change to a compaq crank and go with a 12-27 cluster

Please advise

thanks

Blixem...I need to send my wife a link to this page....

She seriously needs to up her game :D

See above for training advice

I hear stuff like change to a compaq crank and go with a 12-27 cluster

Please advise

thanks

I am fit but a little heavy and i can get up most of the climbs,with loads of @##$% and #^&*&*,on a 53-39 with 11-28 cassette.

The 53-11 is very handy going down the other side.

If you can lend a compact crank it may be wise as you will be riding 10 days in a row.

Longest climb was 8km in Switzerland and has 9% gradient....i also had a few stops to look around ;)

I rode up Alpe d'Huez on an 11-23, not the easiest thing I have ever done, but it was manageable. I doubt you're going to be racing for 10 days, and the tours are usually pretty laid back, letting you decide how far you want to ride, and how hard.

I would also suggest taking some sort of bag along on the bike (even if it is just something like a musette) - firstly for all the free stuff the caravan chucks out, but also for some baguettes and juice - it can be a long time on the side of the mountain waiting for the Tour to come through.

Lastly, enjoy, and be sure to have a SA flag waving as the cameras come by so that we can spot you...

Thanks for all the help.....I will see if I can get a compact crank and see how it is to ride with....

@Verlouria I am taking a flag with so check out for me on Alpe d'Huez

@CAAD why do you hate me ??? lol

Train 7 days a week

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the tour. Followed it last year with a camper van and fold up bikes. Plotting to do the touring thing next time though. Worth every cent !

Thanks for all the help.....I will see if I can get a compact crank and see how it is to ride with....

@Verlouria I am taking a flag with so check out for me on Alpe d'Huez

@CAAD why do you hate me ??? lol

I do not know what ratio you currently ride, but I recently changed to compact (As I will also be riding some of these climbs soon) A 50:34(4.5454) is actually a heavier gear than a 53:12(4.416). And the compact gives you a massive range to the lighter side.

IMO compact is the way to go!

Respect dude :D

The ignorance of youth! I'd conquered Suikerbossie, how hard could Alpe d'Huez be?

(I almost turned around after the first 3 corners - I didn't know they could make roads that steep!)