My first dual

Christie

Bought the frame on the hub a while ago, but got the last components only recently from CRC.

11.4 kgs now, with nonh UST wheels and thick tyre liners. Will get some nice & light UST wheels at some point.

I took it on its first ride yesterday, Van Gaalens to Breed's and back. I had a blast!

First impressions:

*Full suss rocks! The farm roads were quite rough from all the rain. My buddy got shaken & stirred! The Ellsworth just floated along :thumbup:

*The climb up Breeds was not easy. The bike felt heavier then my Scale HT, but I also had a MULE on my back.

*The descent was awesome. I felt confident at much higher speed, had to watch it through the corners, though.

All in all, I think its a keeper ! :D

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5605690074_43c9cbb2f4_b.jpg

Good looking build there!

There's definitely a place for both full suspension and hardtail. I'm riding a 5.5" machine at the moment, it's awesome on really rough, rutted, rocky, crazy singletrack - but I'm also busy building a HT again, there are some things that just aren't pleasant on a long-travel bike (like riding on the road, and climbing fire roads at high speed). That being said, a setup like yours is great if you have to pick one ride; it's plush enough to inspire confidence, but it also climbs fairly well.

Many happy miles :)

Good looking build there!

There's definitely a place for both full suspension and hardtail. I'm riding a 5.5" machine at the moment, it's awesome on really rough, rutted, rocky, crazy singletrack - but I'm also busy building a HT again, there are some things that just aren't pleasant on a long-travel bike (like riding on the road, and climbing fire roads at high speed). That being said, a setup like yours is great if you have to pick one ride; it's plush enough to inspire confidence, but it also climbs fairly well.

Many happy miles :)

True. In my opinion it's race specific, sometimes the full susser will be faster and sometimes you just can't beat a hard tail on some flat jeep track.

Just don't forget to peddle...

Thx for the compliments. I wanted a full susser with a bit of a "timeless" quality to it, that looked good as well. My idea is to find a frame I could be happy with for say 5 years or so. After a bit of www research, I decided to go for a Horst link design. I decided to go for aluminium, because I could not see the benefit of carbon on a full-sus other than a bit of weight saving for lots of extra expense. I loved the colour scheme from the moment I first saw it, and was lucky to find one on the Hub soon after.

I have upgraded to tubeless wheels after I took the pic, bike now weighs in at 11.5kgs, which I consider to be pretty decent without any "stupid light" components. I plan some more upgrades, which should put it under 11kgs.

Yip gotta agree with you Christie, I also went from a Scale HT to a dual recently. Although heavier it just feels great.Hey and thats a lovely bike you got there

Bought the frame on the hub a while ago, but got the last components only recently from CRC.

11.4 kgs now, with nonh UST wheels and thick tyre liners. Will get some nice & light UST wheels at some point.

I took it on its first ride yesterday, Van Gaalens to Breed's and back. I had a blast!

First impressions:

*Full suss rocks! The farm roads were quite rough from all the rain. My buddy got shaken & stirred! The Ellsworth just floated along :thumbup:

*The climb up Breeds was not easy. The bike felt heavier then my Scale HT, but I also had a MULE on my back.

*The descent was awesome. I felt confident at much higher speed, had to watch it through the corners, though.

All in all, I think its a keeper ! :D

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5605690074_43c9cbb2f4_b.jpg