World Cup Rnd 1: Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Capricorn

Congrats to Trek World Racing (TWR) on cleaning house at the first world cup of 2011.

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2011/04/24/full_Screen_shot_2011_04_24_at_7.31.38_AM.jpg?1303655584

That one Ozzie bloke hit 78km/h, thats crazy :w00t:

Yeah, Rob Warner was like "WTF!?! Is that even possible?!"

Amazing run from Gwinny, we're going to see plenty of him in future.

Loved Greg's incredible air (with look-back) over the big tabletop near the finish. He had the crowds wild!

On DSTV now!!! :)

Just turn off the sound the commentators were k@k.

Two roadies trying to sound interested, ruined what was excellent coverage.

Hope like hell the rest of the world didn't get the DSTV supersport commentators.

Yeah, Rob Warner was like "WTF!?! Is that even possible?!"

Amazing run from Gwinny, we're going to see plenty of him in future.

Loved Greg's incredible air (with look-back) over the big tabletop near the finish. He had the crowds wild!

Watched it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it.

You can't beat Cedric Garcia's one hander.Best moment of the day

And why did they only show the last minute of every run? They could have cut it down to the last 25 riders and shown their complete runs.

Maybe its got something to do with those Yetis, both Yetis got around the 78km/h mark.

same speed hax? ;) u hitting the DS course this week PW?

And why did they only show the last minute of every run? They could have cut it down to the last 25 riders and shown their complete runs.

They will NEVER be able to show complete runs dude - The footage on Supersport was what was streamed live by Freecaster during the race.

We had a camera set up at Dr Evil half way down the course that was a live feed and then 5 cameras at the bottom of the track. This is standard of Freecaster footage as they can never show every run live as there are generally 2 or 3 riders on course at once.

All the footage from the start and cloud 9 was pre-recorded during the Qualification rounds and edited in. (Again standard procedure at all races)

If you were to have full coverage down the course you would need in the region of 50 cameras ... 1 at each marshal point as all Marshals have to have line-of-sight and thats just impossible ... As it is the 6 cameras is more than we have ever had at any world cup round (barring the World Champs which is a different cup of tea all together)

PErsonally i think the coverage was great but as for the Supersport Presenters ... what a let down ... i am in 2 minds whether to write them a letter as course designer and tell them to get someone in the know to come and commentate next time ... and also to consult the course designer first BEFORE talking absolute crap about a course they obviously know nothing about!!!!

Guest Omega Man

PErsonally i think the coverage was great but as for the Supersport Presenters ... what a let down ... i am in 2 minds whether to write them a letter as course designer and tell them to get someone in the know to come and commentate next time ... and also to consult the course designer first BEFORE talking absolute crap about a course they obviously know nothing about!!!!

You can come and build at Tokai any time Nigel. Hehehe.

If they showed a full run for all 80 men and 20 women that would be around 7 hours of footage. I'd love to see that happening but i'm not gonna hold my breath.

The commentary from Gerald and his un-named sidekick was atrocious to say the least. They could easily have drafted in a South African rider who has a bit of personality and knows what they are talking about. (Greg Saharin springs to mind) I turned the sound off, put some music on and it was much better.

I'd love the UCI to contract a Clay Porter or Anthill to film. The dudes who film obviously know zero about DH and look for a spot where they can cover lots of track rather than get a shot demonstrating how ridiculously fast the top downhillers are.

When I think of the visuals from the worlds they were pretty much the same. Filmed from far out. Looking up or down the track hence removing the sense of speed. Zero panning shots. Just crap.

A few years ago the Moto-X world championship had amateurish footage as well. They never got coverage cos the visuals were frankly crap. Youthstream took it over and now the footage is waaaay better. There are rider profiles. track analysis. Bike setup and visuals etc etc etc.

The UCI should sell the distribution rights to Youthstream or a setup like them.

Edited by Omega Man