World Cup Rnd 1: Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Capricorn

The WC was one of the most awesome live sports (All sports) I have ever attended, the crowds, the course, food and drink was reasonabley priced, the DH was insane. In my opinion all who were involved with the event must take a bow. Well done!

Nigel, write to Supersport to complain about the commentators, they were absolutely S%&T, didn't have a clue.

Watching the DH live was epic!!! Was a bit of a trek up the mountain though to get a good viewing spot... Will definitely go and watch all 3 events live next year :) And the babes ;)

Was a bit of a trek up the mountain though to get a good viewing spot... Will definitely go and watch all 3 events live next year :) And the babes ;)

DUDE. .... thats why we organised Spectator shuttles to the top of the DH ... take that next year ... you do wait a bit to get on the bus - but its worth it as you get dropped at the top and get to just walk down. all for like 20 bucks i think it was!

The WC was one of the most awesome live sports (All sports) I have ever attended, the crowds, the course, food and drink was reasonabley priced, the DH was insane. In my opinion all who were involved with the event must take a bow. Well done!

My second one now, and I agree with all the above! :thumbup:

You can come and build at Tokai any time Nigel. Hehehe.

1) They could easily have drafted in a South African rider who has a bit of personality and knows what they are talking about. (Greg Saharin springs to mind)

2) I'd love the UCI to contract a Clay Porter or Anthill to film. The dudes who film obviously know zero about DH and look for a spot where they can cover lots of track rather than get a shot demonstrating how ridiculously fast the top downhillers are.

1) - I agree TOTALLY!!! next year we need someone there in the studio to do the commentary - another dude who i'd say could do a good job is Matt Smith as he already commentates for a lot of the enduro and moto stuff but also rides DH.

2) - That will never happen! And also I have helped Clay film here in SA for "First" and "The Tipping Point" and we spent like 2 days filming for like 30secs of great footage that Clay used. He is by far one of the best film makers out - but that type of quality takes time and cant be reporoduced in a live broadcast. The guys who do the Freecaster Footage come out from overseas and go to EVERY race so they do a fantastic job in my mind.

Also you have to remember that the cameras are big static tripod cameras like those used for rugby etc and you need to build stands (scaffold platforms) for them to be put on and this also dictates where the cameras can be placed on the course. Also you can blame me for the camera positions as i was with the camera guys during their recce to check where the best positions were - so it was me who showed them where to be positioned! hahaha

Guest Omega Man

1) - I agree TOTALLY!!! next year we need someone there in the studio to do the commentary - another dude who i'd say could do a good job is Matt Smith as he already commentates for a lot of the enduro and moto stuff but also rides DH.

M. I can't stand Matt Smith but that's just me. His whole Joberg I'm the man attitude makes me mental. And many others in the DH fraternity here in CT. But having said that I've always been of the opinion that when it comes to televised sport the most important dude IS the commentator. A good commentator can make chess exiting.

Edited by Omega Man

Yeah I know that there are some who get over the attitude - BUT as you said the commentator makes the sport - think of Warner ... what a show man ... and thats what it needs - whether the commentator is a good o or not is besides the point - as long as they KNOW how to commentate and are up to date with the sport and are a character thats what you want!