Creaking saddle advice

traaidmark

Aweh guys,

The saddle my bike came with started creaking recently, and it progressively got worse and worse until it would creak while riding on a flat tar surface, and annoyed me to the point where I took it off, and installed an old second hand one I had lying around.

This was fine for about 10 minutes, and now same issue, which leads me to believe it might not actually be the saddle, but perhaps where it mounts the seat post or something?

Any of you guys know about something like this happening? And more importantly, a fix for it?

Lemme guess, Fizik saddle? Put some chain lube where the rails enter the moulded plastic bit, that should sort it out.

If it is a alu post in a alu frame, apply some grease on the post. If it is a carbon post in a alu or carbon frame, apply carbon grease (sandy texture) or copper slip. This should sort you problem. You have a dry frame which causes this creaking noise.

Can be the seatpost where it enters the frame or the clamp that clamps the seat. Put some grease/copperslip/carbon paste on all the contact points.

it could also be your seatpost...

a buddy of mine had the same issue with his KCNC seatpost. something to do with the way it clamps the saddle

When you're riding, try to maintain cadence & power while you lightly lift your bum off the seat. Does the noise stop? If yes, then it was your saddle. The advice above is good. If the noise continues, then it's coming from another part of the bike. Could it be the pedals or cranks? Use one harder than the other and see if that isolates anything - like is the sound regular in time with the movement? See if you can narrow it down that way. Or you might also find that a light greasing of the rear dropouts and QR quill stops it all. Odd things, bike squeaks.

Whoops, I forgot. I presume your chain is well lubed? We often overlook the obvious.

Edited by LeTurbo

When you're riding, try to maintain cadence & power while you lightly lift your bum off the seat. Does the noise stop? If yes, then it was your saddle. The advice above is good. If the noise continues, then it's coming from another part of the bike. Could it be the pedals or cranks? Use one harder than the other and see if that isolates anything - like is the sound regular in time with the movement? See if you can narrow it down that way. Or you might also find that a light greasing of the rear dropouts and QR quill stops it all. Odd things, bike squeaks.

Whoops, I forgot. I presume your chain is well lubed? We often overlook the obvious.

+1. I had a similar creak, eventually turned out to be a loose chainring grub screw.

Take the seatpost out and check inside the seat tube. Found a crack on my bike that was't visible from the outside.

lolol, I have checked that, first thing. My bike did creak when I got it, rear suspension, so it was the very first thing. It's defenitely the saddle area. Only happens when seated, the moment i lift it stops. Thanks though, I am prone to make silly mistakes. :)

Thanks guys, will try out the lube thing this afternoon before I go ride. You guys are awesome.