Looking for a nice mtbike - cheapie

Titan29er

Hi guys,

looking for a nice Mtbike not to pricy!

ja ja, if you want quality, one should pay to get quality.

I'm a mtb rider for just over a year now, riding a Silverback, but the rubber brake one with no susspension at all.

Did a small route on Saturday, about 30k's, and yesterday my shoulders cried.....

Looking for a nice well looked after 2nd hand bike maybe or something.

So any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Safe cycling

look at all the usual suspects - Silverback have a very good offering in the lower-priced sector of the market, as do Scott and Giant - although the Giant equivalents are a bit heavier than the rest. Also look at the Merida range.

What price point are you looking at? You might have a bit more luck trawling the classifieds here or on theGumTree to see what you can find...

A one or two year old GT Avalanche 3.0 would be a good bet - you should be able to pick one up or R3K'ish

<R2000 - Dunlop from Game - not a real MTB - just for 'recreational use'.

R2000-R3500 - bottom of the range Silverbacks.

R3500-R5000 - GT avalanche (or giant, merida, scott bottom of the range)

Try and buy new if you don't know a lot about maintaining bikes.

<R2000 - Dunlop from Game - not a real MTB - just for 'recreational use' 2nd hand from thehubsa classifieds.

Don't listen to that nonsense about having to buy new, maintenance issues. Mantenance is easy and fun to learn.

Edited by TNT1

Thanks "Just Keep pedaling" and TNT1.

Will look at my budget and decide. Wanted to get a new bike or second hand for the upcoming Magalies Monster.

But i guess I cant always get what I want hey!!

Enjoy guys and thanks for the feedback

"Don't listen to that nonsense about having to buy new, maintenance issues. Mantenance is easy and fun to learn."

I maintain my own bikes and it easy and fun to learn.

However, it can also be expensive: Many parts are essentially consumable:

Chains, cassette, chainrings, BB bearings, brake pads, tyres, fork seals, hubs, headsets. Make sure these things are more unworn than worn when you buy 2nd hand.

Why dont you check your local bike store with regards to putting on a front fork for you to make your current bike a bit more useable.

The V brake can be made to work well. I put those Tri Block pads on my old bike that I keep around and it stops just as well as most bikes with disc's