Bike Mechanic 101

markgc

Not sure if anyone out there does this??..if they do, great!

If not, here's a business opportunity for someone.

Im sure im not the only one out there who digs riding but is not technically minded..

Im looking for someone to do a "house call".. come show me exactly how to tune/ adjust/ maintain/ clean my bike for routine purposes.

I will still take it in for minor and major services.

Any takers??

I'm in the same boat to be honest, my old man bought Bicycling Magazine bike maintenance book, that's how I learnt to adjust my F and R derailleurs and do other odds and ends. That might be a start. Maybe go into a bike shop and ask them to show you? I need to take mine in for a full strip/rebuild service in a month or 2 and I'm going to ask the owner/mechanic to run through a few things with me. No harm in just going to someone and asking, and buying some stuff from them to say thanks :)

Why don't you just google it, or better just get a bike maintenance guide from a bookshop/Kalahari etc ?

"tune/ adjust/ maintain/ clean" is really simple and you only need a few allen keys and small star screwdriver to adjust H & L settings.

Then, with a crank and cassette spanners you can just about totally strip the bike and stick it together again. Only thing i wouldn't tackle is a fork rebuild...

Why don't you just google it, or better just get a bike maintenance guide from a bookshop/Kalahari etc ?

"tune/ adjust/ maintain/ clean" is really simple and you only need a few allen keys and small star screwdriver to adjust H & L settings.

Then, with a crank and cassette spanners you can just about totally strip the bike and stick it together again. Only thing i wouldn't tackle is a fork rebuild...

Oh yes, and Youtube, lots of videos on there. Thats I learnt to put my back wheel on. Dumb to say but doing it the first few times is tricky. I'm weary of trying to strip my whole bike in case I can't put it together again :/

youtube and mag articles are all good...but sometimes a practical is better than theory.

youtube and mag articles are all good...but sometimes a practical is better than theory.

Just do it. There is very little that can go wrong. If you stuff up, then you were going to take it to a bike shop anyway. This way it will just be in parts already.

If anyone needs help... I'm more than willing to help you guys!

My business servicing bikes has been going now for 2 years, and going strong.

I'm qualified through Barnett Bicycle Institute as Master Mechanic and got my certificate after 6 months there.

Mail me or give me a ring.

Thanks

Juan Smook

Mobile Bicycle Technix

082 758 0011