Weight Loss and Energy Drinks

Hi everyone.

I need some advice. I am fairly new to the cycling scene. I am planning to do a 100km race in September (K2C). I am a bit on the heavy side (110kg) at the moment and need to loose some weight. My main goal for K2C is to finish in the time allocated.

Now, I am learning to sit in the saddle for longer than what I am used to. This Saturday, I did a 3.5hr ride. I had 1 x 750ml energy drink with me (Fast Fuel) and 1 x 750ml water. I did not eat anything during the ride.

What I have read is that if you doing such long rides, it is advisable to eat or have an energy drink, no matter what your weight. Your body can only sustain so much before it starts looking for another energy source.

My question though, will the energy drink hamper my weight loss? I only use it when doing 2.5hr + rides. I also gym in the week and do short rides with water only.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Panini

You body has enough energy stored to last you about 2 hours. So after the 1st hour you should start taking something to kick in from hour 3 onwards. 32GI is good and it actually helps you lose weight.

I'm doing the same as you: long rides for the purpose of dropping weight.

I try and stick to water only for as long as possible, with a bottle of 32GI ready just in case the first signs of a bonk start to show (plus a couple of gels in the back pocket as an emergency supply). Only if things get serious would I reach for a gel, otherwise I ride without touching them.

The longer I can go on water alone (cycling at LSD pace), the more I know my body is starting to adapt to accessing the fat stores for energy replenishment. This adaptation takes time, so I'm being patient with it.

The other thing I watch for is when I get home: a huge chow of 'whatever' because you're hungry as hell will just undo all the gains you made on your ride. So I'm careful about that. I use a couple of appetite suppressants, like G.I.Lean 'Feel Full' drops in a glass of water to help me not raid the fridge after the ride. I just stick to low GI stuff and top quality lean protein (incl. soy/whey) for my recovery chow.

Guest agteros

Go Google "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" by Dr. Robert Lustig. it is a 1.5 hour video, watch it and then decide whether you want anything in your body but real food and natural sugar. I'm staying off anything resembling fructose because of it!

EDIT: From http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php?topic=8364.0

"
It takes about an hour to view all 9 parts. In case you're not sure if you're up to that, here are some of the points he makes convincingly: high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and sucrose (table sugar) are equally destructive; they both contain fructose which can only be metabolized by the liver, poisoning it and making it insulin resistant. This insulin resistance in the liver causes chronically raised insulin which makes us feel badly and store fat. It stimulates our appetite and interferes with leptin signaling to the brain so we eat more. In fact, it leads to all the manifestations of Metabolic Syndrome, including inflammation, hypertension, 'bad' cholesterol, obesity, fatty liver, and leptin resistance [note: this doesn't take into account GMO corn used in HFCS, or mercury found in it].

In nature, fructose is always found with lots of fiber and other essential nutrients. Processed foods have the fiber removed - fiber makes foods more difficult to eat, cook, transport, store, and profit from. Although fructose is a chronic hepatotoxin (it damages the liver - fructose is "ethanol without the buzz"), the FDA only regulates acute toxins and won't touch this, so it's up to us. The takeaway message is: don't drink or eat fructose without the fiber - in other words, sodas, sweetened drinks, fruit juices, and most processed foods. If you want to know more, and the science behind it, watch the video!"

Edited by agteros

Being larger you are more prone to dehydration wich will also make you feel hitting the wall. So i add rehidrate to every second bottle . Less than two hours no need for energy drink. Try fruit like banana and raisons instead.

You body has enough energy stored to last you about 2 hours. So after the 1st hour you should start taking something to kick in from hour 3 onwards. 32GI is good and it actually helps you lose weight.

I did the "start drinking the energy drink after 1 or 1.5 hrs" and seemed fine after the ride. I will look into 32GI. Thanks for the reply.

I used to use energy drinks high in maltodextrin and fructose. I have consistenlty proved ater the past 2 months doing 5 hour rides that there is no need for it.

Use water and if need be a simple Powerade/Energade in the other bottle. Save your money. All the other energy drinks is pure hype.

I used to use energy drinks high in maltodextrin and fructose. I have consistenlty proved ater the past 2 months doing 5 hour rides that there is no need for it.

Use water and if need be a simple Powerade/Energade in the other bottle. Save your money. All the other energy drinks is pure hype.

I'm with you brother :thumbup: :thumbup:

I changed a couple of small things after hibernation last winter - worked well enough for me, so use it, don't use it. (I am by no means an expert.)

Water only on rides under 2hours. No recovery drinks unless you had a really hard ride and then needed something to be able to ride the next day. Don't always ride mountains - I lost a lot when I started riding flat routes (basically when road season started) - where your intensity is not as high as climbing, but you maintain your intensity for the entire ride.

Off the bike, I cut down on two things: I changed my morning snack from rusks(? - beskuit) to pro-vitas and I drank less alcohol. Also drank some more water during the day.

Did nothing more and made a big difference. Did not have all that much to loose, but still... principals are the same.

I think I will give the Powerade/Energade a go. My next long ride will be 4hr+. I will try and eat something as well as previously mentioned. This whole exercise is to do with what to do to have enough "juice" regarding nutrition to finish the K2C. This is my first race and I am very new to cycling, so I am learning as I go along!

Thanks for the reply.

I changed a couple of small things after hibernation last winter - worked well enough for me, so use it, don't use it. (I am by no means an expert.)

Water only on rides under 2hours. No recovery drinks unless you had a really hard ride and then needed something to be able to ride the next day. Don't always ride mountains - I lost a lot when I started riding flat routes (basically when road season started) - where your intensity is not as high as climbing, but you maintain your intensity for the entire ride.

Off the bike, I cut down on two things: I changed my morning snack from rusks(? - beskuit) to pro-vitas and I drank less alcohol. Also drank some more water during the day.

Did nothing more and made a big difference. Did not have all that much to loose, but still... principals are the same.

I have cut out alcohol and I am watching what I put into my mouth. Everyone is different and hopefully I will find what works for me.

My long ride is intense as I climb and my HR is between 80-95% of max. This is when I use water and an energy drink. We taking 3-4hrs plus.

The other rides, are easy ones and not as long. I only use water on these. They usually not longer than two hours anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I need to reply to myself - my last thread is not 100% correct.

While I will stick to 'water only' and slow pace on long rides for weight loss, I must say that sugary energy drinks like energade/powerade are not for me. They cause a blood sugar spike for me, which increases my tendency to bonk. Once I start drinking them, then I have to keep going, otherwise I've been known to crash later on. Also, unless they are seriously watered down, they start to become more and more impossible to swallow - becoming far too sweet and leaving my mouth sticky and gummed up.

After going through the various brands, I've settled on 32GI. And only their new 'neutral taste' version (i.e. zero flavour - tastes almost like water). It doesn't cause my blood sugar to spike and I can drink the stuff all day without the *** goo collecting around my mouth like energade/powerade. Also, if you do a cost-per-serving analysis, it's much cheaper than those 'energy' drinks.

Then again, there are enough people on this site who've said 32GI doesn't work for them to reinforce the common knowledge that different things work for different people.

The only way we find out what works for us is to experiment on training rides and settle on what works for us. Too much advice out there to make things super confusing. Just stick to what works for you.

I think I need to reply to myself - my last thread is not 100% correct.

While I will stick to 'water only' and slow pace on long rides for weight loss, I must say that sugary energy drinks like energade/powerade are not for me. They cause a blood sugar spike for me, which increases my tendency to bonk. Once I start drinking them, then I have to keep going, otherwise I've been known to crash later on. Also, unless they are seriously watered down, they start to become more and more impossible to swallow - becoming far too sweet and leaving my mouth sticky and gummed up.

After going through the various brands, I've settled on 32GI. And only their new 'neutral taste' version (i.e. zero flavour - tastes almost like water). It doesn't cause my blood sugar to spike and I can drink the stuff all day without the *** goo collecting around my mouth like energade/powerade. Also, if you do a cost-per-serving analysis, it's much cheaper than those 'energy' drinks.

Then again, there are enough people on this site who've said 32GI doesn't work for them to reinforce the common knowledge that different things work for different people.

The only way we find out what works for us is to experiment on training rides and settle on what works for us. Too much advice out there to make things super confusing. Just stick to what works for you.

+1 - Too much advice out there to make things super confusing. Just stick to what works for you.

Thanks for the reply!

Cut back on sugar in tea and coffee. It took me a month or 2 but I have my coffee and tea without sugar now. It helps me keep the weight steady.

Cut back on sugar in tea and coffee. It took me a month or 2 but I have my coffee and tea without sugar now. It helps me keep the weight steady.

I know that is what I have to do as well. Baby steps. I already do not drink fizzy drinks anymore. Now to further reduce the sugar intake!

Thanks for the reply.

I am also in the same boat as the OP. I am, however, not too worried about weight loss. That is not my primary objective. I do have 2 questions though. How do you guys feel about pasta dishes the night before. Does that not assist with your energy intake and therefore helping with the longer rides? And what is your feeling Muesli/Oats in the morning, for a more sustained longer energy release? Any comments will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

AK