Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Have really not looked into the 760D, but at first look it does seem like a well speccd body, and yes the battery life on it looks to be very poor. What does your lady enjoy shooting and what is her max budget like ?

If she does a fair bit of her shooting outdoors, then for a little more $$$ the 70D might be a better option. Has some form of weather sealing, and will be a more robust body.

Ja we've heard some good things about the 70D. Was thinking of getting her the upgrade as a Christmas prezzie. I have about half the money saved already, and should have the other half saved in the next 3 months.

She's mainly interested in Macro, although she also enjoys Landscape.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja we've heard some good things about the 70D. Was thinking of getting her the upgrade as a Christmas prezzie. I have about half the money saved already, and should have the other half saved in the next 3 months.

She's mainly interested in Macro, although she also enjoys Landscape.

I shoot with the 70D and have used it for some of my best landscape shots. I think you will be happy with the purchase.

If you get a double bonus then maybe just go big and get her the 7Dmk2, but that's like twice as much as the 760D. Have seen the prices of the bodies come down in recent months, but it will probably go up due to the ROE.

Another thing to look out for, Canon usually has an expo in the first week of December and have some crazy specials for the weekend. They didn't have 1 last year but mentioned that it will go ahead this year and all Canon retailers will sell at the Expo prices so just keep a look out on Orms and ODP for updates during late November.

I shoot with the 70D and have used it for some of my best landscape shots. I think you will be happy with the purchase.

If you get a double bonus then maybe just go big and get her the 7Dmk2, but that's like twice as much as the 760D. Have seen the prices of the bodies come down in recent months, but it will probably go up due to the ROE.

Another thing to look out for, Canon usually has an expo in the first week of December and have some crazy specials for the weekend. They didn't have 1 last year but mentioned that it will go ahead this year and all Canon retailers will sell at the Expo prices so just keep a look out on Orms and ODP for updates during late November.

Thanks Vivek B, will do :thumbup:

another option is CameraTek , sometimes they a have a good bargain.

got my 70D , two year warranty. and a broken box ( was the problem initially ) for R10k 

but they sell like hot cakes :thumbup:

Edited by Madone69

Apologies for the hijack.

Has anyone had any experience with the Canon EOS 760D, or would know anything about the camera? I ask because my girlfriend is looking to upgrade from her 450D, and the 760D seems to be going for a good price. Although we have seen a few sites say that the battery on the 760D isn't all that great.

Any thoughts and opinions?

What aspect of the 450D makes her want to upgrade it? What she proposes is a bit like trading in a 2010 Golf for the equivalent 2015 Golf. It will be an improvement in performance overall but not mindblowing

What aspect of the 450D makes her want to upgrade it? What she proposes is a bit like trading in a 2010 Golf for the equivalent 2015 Golf. It will be an improvement in performance overall but not mindblowing

the problem is that if you want a serious upgrade then its going to cost you serious cash. And then also going full frame would mean an upgrade in lenses for most so it ends up costing you 35-60k.

450D is old, and you would notice a difference in dynamic range for landscapes and noise handling for macro with an upgrade to new tech bodies.

Yup

Taken at UShaka, in the boat

LEKKER. 

I'll be taking a print quality version when I'm up there in December then...

Shot for the info, bro, you rock. Perfect shot, just a little fuzzy at the size I need. 

Just spoken to her now, and she wants to upgrade mainly for the fact the her 450D is around 7 years old, and she would like a bump in megapixels.

Just spoken to her now, and she wants to upgrade mainly for the fact the her 450D is around 7 years old, and she would like a bump in megapixels.

760 or whatever the new one is will have a MEGA jump in quality over the 450. Focal points, ISO capacity & handling, sensor capacity etc. 

Maybe have a look at the 750 as well. Don't know what the difference is, but they both have the DIGIC6 processor, same megapixel count, WIFI, FHD video & NFC, plus the vari-angle LCD. 

The 450 isn't a bad camera, but the new version will always be a step up in terms of quality and light handling characteristics. Plus it's still a crop sensor, so she can still use her own lenses. 

Edited by Renaissance Man

760 or whatever the new one is will have a MEGA jump in quality over the 450. Focal points, ISO capacity & handling, sensor capacity etc.

Maybe have a look at the 750 as well. Don't know what the difference is, but they both have the DIGIC6 processor, same megapixel count, WIFI, FHD video & NFC, plus the vari-angle LCD.

The 450 isn't a bad camera, but the new version will always be a step up in terms of quality and light handling characteristics. Plus it's still a crop sensor, so she can still use her own lenses.

760D vs 450D

- 24.2Mp vs 12.2 Mp = significant if you make big prints or big crops.

- 12800 max ISO vs 800 = major

- Rear LCD much better on the 760D

- 760D can do full HD video, 450 D has no video

- 19 AF points vs 9 ( cool if you will use them. I tend to use mostly the centre point with back button AF on my cameras)

- wifi built in vs nothing

So yes it is a significant upgrade but if the budget will stretch to a 70D she will get more advanced features, better build quality, superior viewfinder and faster better AF too.

760D vs 450D

- 24.2Mp vs 12.2 Mp = significant if you make big prints or big crops.

- 12800 max ISO vs 800 = major

- Rear LCD much better on the 760D

- 760D can do full HD video, 450 D has no video

- 19 AF points vs 9 ( cool if you will use them. I tend to use mostly the centre point with back button AF on my cameras)

- wifi built in vs nothing

So yes it is a significant upgrade but if the budget will stretch to a 70D she will get more advanced features, better build quality, superior viewfinder and faster better AF too.

yeah, my wife has just gone from having a 450 as a spare body, to having her old 6d as a spare and a 5d3 as her main body. 

She uses focal points extensively, so even the jump from the 6d to the 5d3 as a main body was integral. For her, it was worth the extra cash as she found herself constantly wanting to change focal point on the fly (instead of focus recompose etc) 

The 450 is now my toy. With an 18-200, 50mm F1.8 and the 5h1t lens

For her, it was worth the extra cash as she found herself constantly wanting to change focal point on the fly (instead of focus recompose etc) 

have to agree here. I got myself the 5D3 last November, the extra AF points really come in handy and more so when you shooting a prime lens.

Enjoy the 450D

have to agree here. I got myself the 5D3 last November, the extra AF points really come in handy and more so when you shooting a prime lens.

Enjoy the 450D

yeah, and my wife loves it. Her assistant (her bro) prefers the 6d for the exact reason that she doesn't like it. 

The 450 I get along with well. It won me a prize in a small FB-based photography compo, and the pic is posted here somewhere. 

I don't shoot a lot though. Need to find the time.