Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

My take, if you can't get it right after one shot, she even bother :lol:

The 600 with spare pennies for a 50 mm. f1.4 lens :thumbup:

plus 1 - I love my 50mm.

Or - get a 50mm f1.8 and then a lensbaby...

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to save on shipping, I'm coming up to crimetown over Christmas. Hatton Estates, to be exact. I'd be more than happy to "courier" them up there for you.

Oh - A mate of mine has the 500d and he's super chuffed with it. There is also a marked difference in focus speed between the 450 & 500 (I tested this out myself, with a 70-200mm non IS lens that I switched between the bodies, in Canal Walk shopping centre - 500 was noticeably faster at focussing) so I can only assume that, along with a superior FPS rating, the 600 is that much faster at focussing as well.

VERY close to home that... right in my back yard in fact (I am also in Hatton Estates...) Thanks for the offer. I will see if I can sell the Sony and how many pennies I can scrape together.

VERY close to home that... right in my back yard in fact (I am also in Hatton Estates...) Thanks for the offer. I will see if I can sell the Sony and how many pennies I can scrape together.

If you live in Lesley Drive, I'm gonna smack ya. My oldies have the privilege of being very close to a brand new ice cream palace from hell... triple story house on a very small plot.

plus 1 - I love my 50mm.

Or - get a 50mm f1.8 and then a lensbaby...

Taken with Lensbaby.

post-4100-0-61533000-1321867448.jpg

Taken with Canon 50 mm. f1.4

Both taken with only the tattoo artists available light and no flash.

post-4100-0-19775700-1321867672.jpg

Ooooh, I like that :thumbup:

Thanks man. It's one of my favourites.

Another one that I loved was taken when I was in London. I lost the file somewhere, but it was on the promenade next to the thames (south side) when there was a performer entertaining the crowds. Some random lightie just decided to climb up onto a doughnut-like sculpture, and poked his head through. The look on his face was priceless...

Dodged that one...! I live on the other side of the freeway. I think I know the house. Is it the one that is built into a bank on a plot that I thought was too small for a double garage... on the corner? Do they stay in that complex called Bethanny (Spelling?)

That's the one! And no, they don't live in that complex...

That dude is causing major trouble with the neigbours. One guys wall has already shifted, and the guy behind him has a pool not 10m from the un-supported dig-site. The wall of earth that is now there thanks to the digging is totally unsupported. Major troubles. And the back wall of the house isn't even waterproofed.

Eishoo!

That's the one! And no, they don't live in that complex...

That dude is causing major trouble with the neigbours. One guys wall has already shifted, and the guy behind him has a pool not 10m from the un-supported dig-site. The wall of earth that is now there thanks to the digging is totally unsupported. Major troubles. And the back wall of the house isn't even waterproofed.

Eishoo!

Wow! I watched that go up. I used to go that way to work and I am sure he used second hand materials to build it.

So am I... It's actually quite shocking.

You would think that at some stage the building inspector would have a look and say something...

Anyway, if you are in the area and want to hook up for a beer or something, drop me a PM (Beer is on me!). There are a few of us with too much ambition and not enough talent that like to run our mouths more often than we should. We like to ride bikes as well so if you keen to ride with a couple of fat boys out for a jol, give me a shout. I am sure we can put together a bike and some kit and russle up a weekend warrior possie! Quite a few nice routes not too far from here. The end part of the Hill2hill comes to mind (Well some of it anyway...)

Sweet. Wish I could bring up my DH bike, but I reckon my "diary" is gonna be pretty full (not to mention my belly - oof!)

I'm keen to ride anywhere though. If you've got a spare bike, fantastic!

Sweet. Wish I could bring up my DH bike, but I reckon my "diary" is gonna be pretty full (not to mention my belly - oof!)

I'm keen to ride anywhere though. If you've got a spare bike, fantastic!

If you get a gap and want to go for a ride, give me a shout. My neighbour has a spare bike. (His son's) I have some spare kit (shoes, helmut, pants, shirt, gloves, camelbak and glasses) We are all racing snails! We ride slow, talk too much and have way too much fun! I will PM you my mobile number.

Hey dudes, getting back into photography a bit after loooong lay-off. Have now at last picked up a DSLR. Fortunately my old lenses were good enough and could be carried over.

So, one stupid question - at least I'm an expert in those. :rolleyes: I see the captain prefers working with RAW. Tried that the other day - then just did a batch convert. But it was very dull compared to what I've come to be expecting from the JPG's. How do you guys go about shooting? Am I missing a trick or two in the RAW conversions? Really don't have the time and/or patience to fine-tune every snap-shot - and since you can edit jpg in RAW mode as well, what's all the fuss about? (Yeah, I know the experts do it - but why?!)

BTW, some really awesome shots in here!

Okay - RAW's major advantage is that it is essentially a digital negative, and thus immensely tuneable. A JPG, unfortunately, is not.

A JPEG is essentially a compressed image file. In the compression of the image, a fair amount of the information that the camera captures is lost, and the pic comes out as a sub-standard finished product whne being compared to an edited RAW image.

As for the flatness of the RAW, that does happen most times. With the RAW images, you can play around with the lighting (exposure) on many different levels, and you can fine tune it to your exact specifications and it will never lose the quality that it has at its basest form. In fact, it is pretty much guaranteed that you WILL have to tweak a RAW image to get the exact specifications that you want. It is literally like processing a negative in a dark room, in the days of film. You have to have a look at the negative, determine how much time it needs in the solution, how long it needs to be "exposed" for, what lighting characteristics you want to give it etc.

A JPEG, on the other hand, comes out pre-processed, and is therefore not as tuneable as the RAW format. The camera's on-board processors "edit" the raw image (as the camera sees it) to settings that the camera thinks are correct for the conditions. While this is getting increasingly accurate ito the camera guessing the right settings for the picture, the RAW image, and the available tweaking that you get with a RAW image, will always be superior.

If you want to be able to just snap & upload, then RAW isn't for you. If, on the other hand, you want to get to know the camera's settings, and what light settings to use, how long to expose the shot for, how much aperture to use and what ISO to set it at, as well as to work out all the different things that can be done to a photo to get it to your exact specs, then RAW is for you.

Another thing is that you can quite easily "save" a bad RAW shot. It's very hard to do the same to a JPEG.

Oh - and there's no way you can edit a JPEG in RAW format. It only goes one way, and that's from RAW to JPEG. Cannot be done the other way.

Thanks for the feedback - maybe should be a bit more patient and then prioritise on with the better shots afterwards.

What I meant was - you can edit a jpg in the RAW editor - which basically gives you most of what you want - including your "salvageability" by fiddling with exposure, etc afterwards. You can't convert it to RAW, sure. But if I remeber correctly, you can save it to Photoshop RAW, at least (dng?), from that interface.

Sorry, that's using PSE, still getting to know it. :blush: Don't know what tools you guys utilise...

Last night there was an amazing Ring of Fire in the sky.

The wife chased me out to tai a photo, first I took the fisheye, this didn't work, rushed back for the 70-200 but left the tripod behind.

Shot at 1/10 th. hand held :angry:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6105/6381511439_0a267fb2ea_z.jpg

Ring of fire by OddPix1, on Flickr

Some macro goodies.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6231/6377210841_c9cd3ec309_z.jpg

IMG_8954 by OddPix1, on Flickr

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6114/6377203177_8d8a7c082c_z.jpg

IMG_8962 by OddPix1, on Flickr