Which roadie winter gloves?

chris_w_65

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can you buy these ? I'm in Pretoria.

Chris, you said you went & bought the ski gloves, just wondering which shop you bought them from and approx at what cost ?

Chris, you said you went & bought the ski gloves, just wondering which shop you bought them from and approx at what cost ?

The Anatomic factory shop in Northcliff sells them for R320.00

The Anatomic factory shop in Northcliff sells them for R320.00

Oh, so Anatomic don't just do bike gear, they do ski clothing too ? Didn't know that.

And you tested them last Sunday if I am correct ? Wasn't quite as cold as Saturday but would still have been a few degrees above freezing I guess.

Oh, so Anatomic don't just do bike gear, they do ski clothing too ? Didn't know that.

And you tested them last Sunday if I am correct ? Wasn't quite as cold as Saturday but would still have been a few degrees above freezing I guess.

I think they sell them because they don't make their own and feel these are pretty good. They do not sell ski gear.

Yes on Sunday, it was 4 degrees. It was 2 degrees on Saturday

I think they sell them because they don't make their own and feel these are pretty good. They do not sell ski gear.

Yes on Sunday, it was 4 degrees. It was 2 degrees on Saturday

Did you use liners or just as is ?

Did you use liners or just as is ?

Yes, as is.

So far they seem good but.....

It is hard to compare Saturday's ride with Sundays, Saturday was at 2 degrees and then quite a bit of downhill to start the ride. Sunday was at 4 degrees and quite a lot of uphill at the start of the ride :unsure:

Yes, as is.

So far they seem good but.....

It is hard to compare Saturday's ride with Sundays, Saturday was at 2 degrees and then quite a bit of downhill to start the ride. Sunday was at 4 degrees and quite a lot of uphill at the start of the ride :unsure:

My Saturday ride had mostly uphill for the first hour and I utterly froze until about 8.15 when things started to thaw around me, so on Saturday I found the cold debilitating even though I was going relatively slow on the uphills (I think we averaged 16 km in that first hour with some 400 m of climb). Always a chance I suppose but what I'm angling for is whether you saw a significant difference between the two days, which I think you are saying you saw, I don't think 2degC difference would do that necessarily. Ho hum, decisions, decisions.

My Saturday ride had mostly uphill for the first hour and I utterly froze until about 8.15 when things started to thaw around me, so on Saturday I found the cold debilitating even though I was going relatively slow on the uphills (I think we averaged 16 km in that first hour with some 400 m of climb). Always a chance I suppose but what I'm angling for is whether you saw a significant difference between the two days, which I think you are saying you saw, I don't think 2degC difference would do that necessarily. Ho hum, decisions, decisions.

There was an extreme difference in the way my fingers felt the 2 days. I would say the Black Diamond worked well but as I say, the 2 rides were different.

If you compare the material type and thickness of the Louis Garneau Wind Tex glove and the Black Diamond Windweight then the BD looks like it should be warmer.

Make sure you don't buy the BD Lightweight for R299.00, you want the Windweight for R320.00. They have both at the Anatomic shop in Northcliff.

Edited by chris_w_65

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to thank you for the info about the Black Diamond gloves.

The pain I experienced a week ago was a serious motivation to find a solution and I eventually bought the Black Diamond gloves you mentioned.

I went out yesterday morning at 5.30, I reckon a couple degree warmer than the previous Saturday and experienced a mostly comfortable ride. I certainly did not come close to frostbite like the previous week and even when we went through a low lying region where we saw ice in the puddles on the side of the road, I did not experience much discomfort (and that section lasted for almost 30 minutes).

With my previous gloves I wore some (nylon ?) First Ascent liners with the gloves and decided to do that with these, so that's what my experience is based on.

My conclusion is that they made a very real difference to my ride experience and far out-strip the other brands I have tried that claim to work in cold weather.

After last week I was contemplating giving up cold rides, after yesterday's ride I am quite happy to take on any ride. And when I think of that Nissan event in July / August last year down near Walkerville where it was -5 degC when I parked at 6.45 a.m. at the Blockhouse Engen One Stop before the race, I just know there are plenty cold rides still to come this year !

Thanks for the info ... I think I can now claim to have a good set of winter kit for Gauteng winter rides !

T.

Glad you got sorted, might also get some of those.

I distinctly remember standing there shivering in the start pen before the Walkerville race :(

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up on this glove debate & how cold rides can be.

I went out last Saturday in Pretoria at 5.30 a.m. on a 80 km MTB ride from home ... it was damn cold, but how to bench mark that in terms of whether the gloves worked ?

Well, at one stage, the tube from my Camelbak that I drink through, froze solid for about an hour ... and my fingers survived ... my thumbs suffered a bit but the rest of the digits were OK ... so I think these Black Diamond gloves are not too bad ... I'm happy for now !

T.

Last Saturday was really cold, my fingers where a bit numb in the Black Diamonds but a lot warmer than they would have been in my LG