How to learn to do bigger jumps?

banna

I'm thinking a lot of the fear could also be not just you getting broken, but how you could also break your bike or a component that becomes costly. I know this makes me think twice sometime.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to learn to jump properly. The problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be any "small" jumps to start learning the skills on. I don't have the facility to build my own jumps so the other option for me is Giba and those jumps in the skills park scare the sh!t out of me! Does anybody know of a place in the highway area that has some smaller beginner table tops to hone my skills on?

I'm thinking a lot of the fear could also be not just you getting broken, but how you could also break your bike or a component that becomes costly. I know this makes me think twice sometime.

I have the same problem I had riding an MX bike... Commitment!! I am committed almost up to the jump face, then a scenario of me having to explain to my boss why I can't make it in on Monday...

Maybe I should change the commitment part to consequences...

Bana, I'll have my new armour in the next month, then you can use mine to see it is worth buying if you want. You more than welcome to head out with us to Paarl or so as well. The other guys does the things I can not yet do (frustrating thing it is not my ability that stops me from growing, but my head).

So yeah, drop me a PM with your number if you keen and we'll drop you a line next time we go.

We section the trail once, doing every drop or jump a few times before we do runs, so you'll know exactly whats comes - helps to not have surprises!

Thx Werner. Will give you a buzz.

@ Caerus - dont worry about the front wheel situation - this is natural for EVERY rider. The pull is defined by your strongest side!

I bet that if you look at it when you are on the bike your right leg is forward 90% of the time! - This means that your right side is stronger than your left! There is never really a time when the riders bars/wheel are perfectly straight when in the air! On the rare occassion that this does happen the rider is generally as stiff as a lamppost on the bike and is about to eat it! The bike WILL move around under you when in the air - its also to compensate for the slight body adjustments you make yourself in the air too!

@ Grebel - jumps in the highway area! - there used to be some in padfield park in the big open grass park on teh corner of padfield and manors roads - the jumps were called "dogpiles" - otherwise a good jump section is lahee park bmx track!

I would really like to learn to jump properly. The problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be any "small" jumps to start learning the skills on. I don't have the facility to build my own jumps so the other option for me is Giba and those jumps in the skills park scare the sh!t out of me! Does anybody know of a place in the highway area that has some smaller beginner table tops to hone my skills on?

I know how you feel, thought I would have a jol in there and nearlt saw my arse so bad. Need someone there I think, boost the confidence to just go for it.

I know how you feel, thought I would have a jol in there and nearlt saw my arse so bad. Need someone there I think, boost the confidence to just go for it.

Are you using any body armour? I find this helps a lot. Decent knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards etc. It's no good avoiding crashing, it's better to get comfortable with it, and the pads make the outcome much easier to deal with. Some mates egging you on is a HUGE help too. Who wants to look like a little b*tch in front of their mates now?!

Decent knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards etc.

Agreed, these made a huge difference for me.