Catching Hijackers

manbearpig

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume the first drawback is that once the battery is flat, your bike is no longer traceable? GPS draws a lot of power.

They reckon up to a year battery life on the current model off of one charge that has a litium ion battery, its configured in such a way( not my forte) that it gives off a signal twice a day.

They reckon up to a year battery life on the current model off of one charge that has a litium ion battery, its configured in such a way( not my forte) that it gives off a signal twice a day.

That's pretty good. Then the only issue is it has to be smaller or a different form factor. Under the seat is not going to work. All that will happen with that is you will find your little gizmo on the side of the road somewhere. And your bike will be in another province.

Last week a C class was jacked in Farramere. All they found was the Tracker. In Tembisa. If the crims can do that, under the seat is hopeless on a bike.

Let's not forget, this is a sophisticated syndicate. Not some random thugs taking high end bikes. Someone behind all this has an actual working brain, and that makes it all very scary.

Edited by TNT1

I reckon itll just be another R2000+ gone down the tubes, its a bit big to not notice huh!

As far as cars go,,, ya tracking devices only seem good against amateurs and joy-riders, perhaps tracetec is better who knows.

That's pretty good. Then the only issue is it has to be smaller or a different form factor. Under the seat is not going to work. All that will happen with that is you will find your little gizmo on the side of the road somewhere. And your bike will be in another province.

Last week a C class was jacked in Farramere. All they found was the Tracker. In Tembisa. If the crims can do that, under the seat is hopeless on a bike.

Let's not forget, this is a sophisticated syndicate. Not some random thugs taking high end bikes. Someone behind all this has an actual working brain, and that makes it all very scary.

Thats what I've been saying from day 1, a lot of folks will disagree though. There current model is fairly smallish, but disguised as a light. Another bloke spoke about a device they had in the UK from Evans Cycles, that gets glued into the frame( down tube or head tube), from what the guy is saying is that there nwer models will be the same.

I know it may sound a bit ridiculous but if spies or the CIA/ FBI have small tracking devices surley the technology is there already for small tracking devices, or is that just in the movies. :unsure:

If it is inside a tube within the frame then it may give you at least a couple hours, till they can strip the bike to try find it. Then if its glued in, they need to try remove it as well. The problem that I see would lie in trying to re-charge it when required, cause if its stuck too far down, how would the recharging jack get to it ? :unsure:

More then likely they will take the bikes to a safe house shack first or even a hole in the gound, till they can move them. Now secondly if its a sim card giving off the signal, don't they only give off a location the nearest tower, not many towers in the bush or the places where people ride( I could be wrong). So it then gives a large area to have to try pinpoint the exact location of the bike.

SIM card? I thought this was GPS we were on about?

Sorry, the thread is about catching hijackers with a tracking device, didnt intend to mislead you. :blush:

The device that the OP is talking about is a GPS option, the brand/make I'm talking about uses a sim card, I guess thats why the battery will last so long. Its like the companies need to share ideas & technology and come up with a viable solution.

Sorry, the thread is about catching hijackers with a tracking device, didnt intend to mislead you. :blush:

The device that the OP is talking about is a GPS option, the brand/make I'm talking about uses a sim card, I guess thats why the battery will last so long. Its like the companies need to share ideas & technology and come up with a viable solution.

And then to confuse the whole thing more, the Tracking device in your car (most probably - the majority of insurance/consumer ones do) works on radio technology. No SIMs, no GPS, straight forward old school radio.

And then to confuse the whole thing more, the Tracking device in your car (most probably - the majority of insurance/consumer ones do) works on radio technology. No SIMs, no GPS, straight forward old school radio.

Did you get the PM?

So you reckon that even within a township or remote rural area that they could triangulate the exact spot? I'm just thinking about the you riding in remote areas :unsure: If it can be made smaller and then be inside the frame with a jack type lead or something it can work.

Sometimes simple is best

So you reckon that even within a township or remote rural area that they could triangulate the exact spot?

What you see in spy movies regarding cell phones is almost gospel. To get it to a price point that is attractive is another ballgame. Remember, I don't work for a service provider anymore, so they may have some new bits that I don't know about.

What you see in spy movies regarding cell phones is almost gospel. To get it to a price point that is attractive is another ballgame. Remember, I don't work for a service provider anymore, so they may have some new bits that I don't know about.

Damn that :(

It is a great idea but the size is definately a negative. What if one was to take it out of the existing casing? then maybe you can make a smaller casing or an existing casing of somthing else

A lot of guys seem keen on this idea.

My questions are:

What would you be willing to pay for the device once off?

What are you willing to pay per month?

Do you want it to do more than just show where your bike is when stolen?

The first two points are an important consideration i.t.o demand=supply.

In order to be effective the device needs to work off GPS as the most reliable method of tracking, but will need GSM and GPRS as a method of activation and also recovery with laptop and web cellular devices, as well as in the in the event of GPS signal loss. The latter being less accurate than GPS i.t.o pinpoint position.

The most important aspect of these units is the tracking software, how it communicates with the unit itself, and who provides the back end to this software.

This is important, as the time to recovery is critical. Even securely fitted, once these devices are on the open market and become known, they will never be permanently tamper proof. Access might be difficult but not permanent. Speed of recovery will be critical, just as in the vehicle recovery game.

Edited by The Drongo