Most desirable road bike?

StevieL

Ok, hyperbole.

The UCI even planned to ban Giant’s compact frame – it just looked wrong – until it was pointed out that it would enable dealers to accommodate almost all customers with three stock frame sizes. “I don’t really blame the UCI” – continues Mike Burrows - “but why do the manufacturers let them get away with it?”

So, I have one of those, and the plastic bike in storage.

Fair enough

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough

Yeah, there's more. The frame was made out of such thin aluminium, stones thrown up by the front wheel were denting the down tube...

Yeah, there's more. The frame was made out of such thin aluminium, stones thrown up by the front wheel were denting the down tube...

:rolleyes: Please post me some pichas when you can ( can be from google images too)

Edited by Cavendish

Top in what regard?

Lightest - custom bike (google, there are many weight weenies)

Stiffest - probably not the lightest one

Most expensive - custom bikes, ferrari, lotus and some other weird ones spring to mind.

Best handling - according to who?

Pinarello was voted bike of the year 4 years in a row now between the Prince and Dogma

Google bike of the year

Cipolinni RB1000 1st or a Dogma 6.2 2nd both sporting Super Record with Lightweight hoops.

Cipolinni RB1000 1st or a Dogma 6.2 2nd both sporting Super Record with Lightweight hoops.

I'll ride super record on any frame - even if it's a 20 year old Hansome/Nishiki/tomashini

It's funny that you mention the Dogma and separation by grams. Dogmas are around 200-300g heavier than anything else in their price category. In fact, there are alu frame modules that are lighter than the Dogma.

Edit - adding some weight numbers from Competitivecyclist.com:

Dogma frame, fork and seatpost: $5,499; 1,845g

Bianch Oltre frame, fork, seatpost: $4,999; 1,672g

BMC Team SLR01 frame, fork, seatpost: $3,850g; 1,470g

Scott Addict R1 frame and fork, Thomson Masterpiece SP: $2,893; 1,398g

My Bianchi Oltre with Frame, Fork, Seatpost, Headset, spacers, top cap and bottlecage bolts is 1598g Size 57. (Medium Large)

My Bianchi Oltre with Frame, Fork, Seatpost, Headset, spacers, top cap and bottlecage bolts is 1598g Size 57. (Medium Large)

What's the complete weight on your Oltre?

I've ridden a LOT of bikes this is the nicest bike I've ever had

I'm going to agree with you here...

I've had three Tarmac SL3's, I still have a Venge and have ridden the Look 695 (butter smooth) but still rate this as my all time favourite so far.

For the Oltre to not make it onto that list proves that it's so far above, they didn't even consider it. Plus the frameset easily falls under their sub Kilo mark.

What's the complete weight on your Oltre?

Complete with Sram Red, Quarq Crankset, Zipp 404 Tubulars, Garmin edge 800 and Look pedals, ie completely ready to race. 6.6kg

Complete with Sram Red, Quarq Crankset, Zipp 404 Tubulars, Garmin edge 800 and Look pedals, ie completely ready to race. 6.6kg

Surely at 6.6 kg that is not ready to race.. :)

The TCR's were the shizz.

While gooogling a bit of Jalabert wins I came across this page of a few of the greats,

i just read the whole page just to refresh my memory and discover things i did not know. ie Jalabert had a SUPERB season in 95'.

http://www.letour.fr...vainqueurs.html

He also has the second fastest bike split at Ironman France

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JKsmZKL-VW8/R8RI2I964zI/AAAAAAAAFXI/148s6MC8GRM/s1600/Jalabert_bike_c%29ThierryDeketelaere.jpg

If I had to go with something seriously tech and light it would be an Evo Ultimate TRP titanium brakes, Lightweight Obermayers, Zipp 145 sterm, Zipp SLC2 bars, Speedplay Nanos and a Super Record EPS drivetrain. Any colour as long as its Black.