Action Photo - Rip Off???

Cycling Addict

had 11 to choose from though,

mmm - be interesting to see the average for each event. - looks like the trail average is sitting at 5

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm - be interesting to see the average for each event. - looks like the trail average is sitting at 5

Actually make that 13 for me, just checked the action photo site again. The best one is the one coming out of highflats on day2...whoever that guy was, he took awesome pics....seriously cool.

No photographer, talented as he/she may be, can capture 4500 riders over 3 routes at the same time. The Epic doesn't even have that challenge! To do this, you'll need at least 7 photographers per route. I don't think there are 21 world class sports photographers in SA. I can think of 5.

(Jacques Marais, Chris Hitchcock, Kelvin Trautman, Jon Ivins, Fanus Oosthuizen)

I had a quick look at Gallo Images for possible purchase of the Sani2C pics on there. You are looking at about R175 for home use and from R1600 upwards for editorial use. My 10 prints worked out to R32 each.

A few over exposed and front on shots, but some nice ones too. Anyone with a SLR camera that have tried to take good cycling photos will know how hard it actually is.

as opposed to this

http://www.actionphoto.net/raceimages/sani2c_2012-/large/sani2c_2012-5075203/DSC_8530.JPG

Shocking!

I find it a pity though, if you want to purchase photos from several different events, then you need to pay a premium for the pics, and even if you take 10 photos from 10 different events and checkout once, the cost does not get discounted the same way it does if its 10 photos from 1 event. Their website model needs an adjustment to sort this out, as it remains too expensive otherwise.

I think that's fair. I also think they're missing a trick by charging a flat R320 for all your photo's when some people has 5 Sani photos and others have more than 10. There should be a sliding scale discount based on the number of photos you purchase as a % of the number of photos taken.

Fully agree with Stretch...actionphoto is way to expensive. I have been taking photos at some of the local events for over a year now and have met some of the contracted photographers and it really is bulk photography...if you lucky the photographer who happens to be at the spot is slightly creative and tries to do something other than the classic head-on-same brackground-for everyone-point and shoot shot.

This isnt ness. only the photographers fault though...am pretty sure they get a very very general brief (ie come back with x amount of shots) and when shooting like that there isnt much room for creativity.

Have a look at www.quickpix.co.za for some affordable shots

To give you an idea RE the Action Photo boys/girls.

Earlier this year my youngster did the kiddies argus again ... the photographers pic a spot and shoot away at thousands (yes thousands) of kids coming by then still charge R50 per pic ...and I took better pics along the ride on my cell of my youngster.

Photobay at R25 per pic is very fair and as I recall from the last and previous 24hr of Oak valley they are out there all day long on the trails with good pics being offered. They also have a strong cycling and multi-sport background, so I imagine this helps them in their line of work.

Have a look at www.quickpix.co.za for some affordable shots

Excellent so the photos are much cheaper. But now I must go through 1116 photos taken at Karkloof to find pics of me and my family at that race. Thanks but I'll pay a little more for photos I can identify in 5 mins, save myself 2 hours of mindless mouse clicking on quickpix website and my family can skip pizzas one night this month to pay for the extra cost of the Actionpics photos.

Shocking!

A good crop and mid weight post production it could actually be a nice enough shot. Difficult to work into a workflow though and meet the turn around demand.

A good crop and mid weight post production it could actually be a nice enough shot. Difficult to work into a workflow though and meet the turn around demand.

My point exactly - sorry DD I thought my sarcasm was self-evident.

Quick Pix or Photobay?

Quick Pix.

No comparison to Photobay, but then it's two totally different operations with different objectives, same as Action Photo is a different operation. Bulk shots, fast turnaround, doesn't leave a lot of room for messing around with creative angles and photography unfortunately.

Have shot with AP years back, effing hard work and soul destroying. BUT, you very quickly learn to think on your feet with a camera and setup. As well as a hefty dose of htfu.

think the point I was trying to raise is that none of the pictures they had to offer forced me to put in my hand in my pocket and therefore they failed in their service to the event - and WHY - if they are offering an "exclusive" service did they have more photographers for the race compared to the other two events - don't answer that question - i know its to cut their costs

anyway - I dont know why I am getting worked up over some silly photographs - at least i still have the mental images