CSA - Cycling South Africa in Debt.

RocknRolla

Can't we get CSI to investigate CSA? Ha! ha!

You can't just blame Mocke, what about the team of CSA??

I wonder if we must pay more for licence in 2012 for them to recover their debts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you want for your license fees

i want real development and talent identification. at ground level.

not "cycle at 7 million watts for 6 hours"

although this is a great roadie base, mountain biking and xc uses a whole different bunch of skills other than power output.

Ok RocknRolla this is what SHOULD happen with the money that you the "GArden Cyclist" pays ... Ok so i dont know what discipline you do (but i will take MTB as a given as i know more about this side than road :blush: )

IF you are a fun cyclist who does not enter the races to try and win, you only have to pay R75 per year for a license to do a race - this fee is generally to cover the cost of administration by the CSA and Provincial Cycling Clubs at races etc!

IF you buy the MAIN license that costs in the region of R400 bucks you are saying to CSA that you want to be counted as a "proper racer" and get points towards the Provincial and National Series. If you buy this license and dont go and do any of these races thats your own fault!

In every case the number of fun riders exceeds the national and provincial level racers a hundred fold! - And you are in your right to say "why do i have to subsidize national or even international events, if i get absolutely nothing for it." HOWEVER ... indirectly you DO get something for it! you go to the major races (road, track or mtb) to watch if the pro's are out ... if it werent for CSA putting money into National events that promote our top level riders we would have no Hunters, Augustines, Standers, Minnaars, Neethlings (both Candice and Andrew) just to name a few! Without the UCI ranked events held with YOUR licence fee money we would never be able to support our boys and girls in the international scene ... and without their involvement in the international scene do you think we would get ANY of the high profile events that we do in the country??? NO!!!

Now A. I dont work for CSA

AND B. I too think that they have cocked up!

BUT - it can all be rectified if the finances are looked at PROPERLY - for 1 - AS FAR AS I HAVE HEARD - SO THIS MAY NOT BE FACT! ..... the WORLD CUP MTB made a loss due to lack of sponsorship ... Sponsorship that CSA told the event organiser that THEY were sorting out and he was not allowed to procure a sponsor for the event. So what happens? the Main sponsor doesnt come on board and everything falls flat! So you cant really blame the events - you need to look at the governing body!

Monies earned every year from CSA from licence fees, sponsorships and race fees (fees paid to be on the CSA calendar as an official race) should be subdivided equally between road, track and mtb around the country FOR FINANCING NATIONAL AND PROVINCIAL RACES - this money should go towards helping more SA riders compete overseas to rank us higher in teh overall UCI standings - this would then again help with sponsorship for our local races!

Nigel, thank you for this comprehensive explanation. i think you summed it up great!

but although our local boys need support and whatever boost they can have. i think it is unfair to use mainly funds generated from cyclists. Surely Sponsors (i know they were let down)should be the main source of income. i believe (as stated above) that the funds the general masses (94.7, picknpay argus cyclechallenge) should go towards real groundroots cycling development.

Edited by RocknRolla

but although our local boys need support and whatever boost they can have. i think it is unfair to use mainly funds generated from cyclists. Surely Sponsors (i know they were let down)should be the main source of income. i believe (as stated above) that the funds the general masses (94.7, picknpay argus cyclechallenge) should go towards real groundroots cycling development.

Exactly right dude! Sponsors SHOULD foot the excess that remains after the CSA has got its cash from fees etc! Only issue is that at teh moment not may companies have the resources to Sponsor large amounts of cash! (look at 2010 where Nissan pulled their overall sponsorship of the World MTB Cup - this caused the UCI to rethink the 2010 season and shorten it to save costs) - Surely we can do the same here!

I forgot to mention that there is also a Development Phase in place in the CSA that promotes Cycling to more disadvantaged persons! This branch of the CSA would obviously also get a share of the funding generated from the fees brought in etc!