What makes a MTB climb better?

RoboLuke

Firstly , what is your definition of pure XC.

Secondly, no matter if it's steel, carbon or alloy, it depends as to who is turning the pedals.

Ok, let me rather call it tight and twisty stuff = carbon.

As for who is turning the pedals...Not that simple I think. It depends and riding style too. For people stomping and hammering the pedals, carbon is better I think (energy transfer)

I will give you this: Steel should be better for going downhill as it absorbs the bumps better! And also can be mended if you crash! :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let me rather call it tight and twisty stuff = carbon.

As for who is turning the pedals...Not that simple I think. It depends and riding style too. For people stomping and hammering the pedals, carbon is better I think (energy transfer)

I will give you this: Steel should be better for going downhill as it absorbs the bumps better! And also can be mended if you crash! :D

I think you need to swing your legs over a few different bikes.

Eldron's guide to choosing the material for your bike:

Road bike - if you can afford it buy carbon - the ability of carbon to be manipulated into ANY shape and size combined with it's strength to weight ratio makes it the material of choice for road bikes.

Mtb: Same as above if you're sponsored. If you're a chap like me who can afford carbon but doesn't see the sense in buying a temporary mtb then alu is the material for you. Alu was fairly limited before the advent of hydroforming but now alu is quite flexible in it's design and can (almost) rival carbon as a frame material. Alu has a ~300-400g weight penalty when compared to carbon but it dents instead of breaking and is WAY more cost effective. I also like the less obvious things like: tighening a seat post clamp doesn't make my poepol knyp on alu like it does with carbon.

Mtb2: I own a steel SS. It makes no sense as the frame was more expensive than my XTC 29 racing bike but it harks back to ye olde days of fun, silliness and not caring what is the best/lightest/coolest or blingest. Don't be mislead by people telling you steel "rides better" or "steel is real" - the only real steel is is heavy - steel is real heavy. It can't be manipulated into efficient shapes, can't be made too thin and isn't great value for money. People buy steel for the same reason they buy single speeds - we're a bit dim like that.

As per the old addage: Strong, light or cheap - choose two. Alu kicks carbons butt all over the play ground.

Mtb2: I own a steel SS. It makes no sense as the frame was more expensive than my XTC 29 racing bike but it harks back to ye olde days of fun, silliness and not caring what is the best/lightest/coolest or blingest.

I like this bit! :clap: :thumbup:

I like this bit! :clap: :thumbup:

I tried to break all the rules - it's a steel, rigid, single speed, 29er.

I love riding it more than my super fast race bike. Ironic huh?

I tried to break all the rules - it's a steel, rigid, single speed, 29er.

I love riding it more than my super fast race bike. Ironic huh?

You're a complex human being, Eldron, but that's how we roll out east… ;)