What makes a MTB climb better?

RoboLuke

No answer? thought so!

Rode with a guy with a steel niner, and he is changing it to carbon. weighs less, absorbs more. To be fair, I haven't been on a steel frame since my 1992 Le Jeune with Reynolds 531 tubing, but carbon makes more sense, or at least to me it makes more sense.

Are you trolling for an argument, or do you just like to make challenging comments followed by even more senseless assumptions ?

As for all this weight, weight, weighs less mumbo jumbo, simply train harder.

I have proof ,at Attakwas more expensive carbon full sussers were pushed up hills where I was riding :lol: :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trolling for an argument, or do you just like to make challenging comments followed by even more senseless assumptions ?

As for all this weight, weight, weighs less mumbo jumbo, simply train harder.

I have proof ,at Attakwas more expensive carbon full sussers were pushed up hills where I was riding :lol: :lol:

Im not trollng, but would just like an answer for clarity - back to my original question please Sir

So I always read the bike reviews in mags and then somewhere they say the bike is awesome and then...whether its a goat or not. So what from a bike design perspective will one know whether a bike will climb well (beyond the obvious one weight)?

First and foremost on Dual suspension bikes is the pedal bob factor, the less bob the more traction going uphill. Then the geomitry if your weight is too far forward you dont get traction at the back and the same vice versa. Also i prefer rizer bars but that puts your wheight back and hampers climbing, sometimes it feels like your front wheel wants to lift on steep uphills, flat bars will sort that out.

Im not trollng, but would just like an answer for clarity - back to my original question please Sir

Not you sir, I was referring to the dude with the perfume chain lube.

Not you sir, I was referring to the dude with the perfume chain lube.

so if you were riding a similar bike at the attakwas with a carbon frame, you would also have pushed? I know that the steel frame thing is back in fashion, but I seriously doubt it will provide the best solution to most riders on this forum. I also doubt that it climbs better than a carbon bike with the same geometry but which is lighter.

I also doubt that it climbs better than a carbon bike with the same geometry but which is lighter.

Here is a steel bike that weighs in at 6.8kgs,which is the legal limit and much lighter, than most carbon bikes out there :drool:

Carbon isn't always lightest,some carbon frames claim 1200 gr frames but actual weight is 1500gr and up.

http://fireflybicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Bike1_9.jpg

Edited by gummibear

Weight. Read an article the other day on what just 2 kilo's of added weight does to a cyclist on a climb. Can't remember the length of the climb but the penalty was 1min 30sec. Will go look for the article.

But then the 2 kilos will also help on the downhill.............. :D :D :D

Guest agteros

She is pretty, and looks very real :)

Here is a steel bike that weighs in at 6.8kgs,which is the legal limit and much lighter, than most carbon bikes out there :drool:

Carbon isn't always lightest,some carbon frames claim 1200 gr frames but actual weight is 1500gr and up.

http://fireflybicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Bike1_9.jpg

so if you were riding a similar bike at the attakwas with a carbon frame, you would also have pushed? I know that the steel frame thing is back in fashion, but I seriously doubt it will provide the best solution to most riders on this forum. I also doubt that it climbs better than a carbon bike with the same geometry but which is lighter.

I just feel a lot of hot air and no experience, kinda gives me the impression you don't really know what's cooking.

Secondly, fashion ?

Explain that one to me .

I just feel a lot of hot air and no experience, kinda gives me the impression you don't really know what's cooking.

Secondly, fashion ?

Explain that one to me .

Ok, you convinced me. Steel is better, thats why all the pro riders ride it.

This is a popcorn moment yea :) though chain L has a point if i was pro and I knew steel is better there's no way i'd get on a carbon bike. Same with MTB how many pro's actually ride titanium bikes?

Steel has an old school luster I have to admit. But as most steel bike riders claim you get a lot of flex and the ride feels comfortable, where your avg race snake wants the most rigid bike with the least amount of flex to get predicatable handling and to be able to transfer more power with less wasted energy.

Steel is also easier to work with and mass produce than either aluminum and carbon. So it stands to reason if steel was in fashion we would see a lot more models at exhorbarant prices so that the money grubbing companies could rake in even higher profits. But lets face it how many companies push their steel frames above their alu or carbon?

I beleive they create steel becuase there is still a market for it and for no other reason. As for the chap that made the comment about carbon weight, well you have to remember an carbon bike wheighing in at 1kg per frame will be 6 times stronger and more rigid than a steel frame of the same weight so yeah if you want a really rigid frame even with carbon there is a wheight penalty.

all that said I MTB and i prefer alu since i crash a lot and thats normally when carbon sucks.

The Pro's are paid and will ride whatever is given to them. :rolleyes:

Just have a look at how many have gone back to alu stems and bars.

The Pro's are paid and will ride whatever is given to them. :rolleyes:

Just have a look at how many have gone back to alu stems and bars.

Agreed and do you think for one second if steel was so much better than carbon, one of the teams would not have switched over to it so that they can kick all the other teams @sses?

So yeah even though what you say is true gummi in this instance your logic is flawed.

Ok, you convinced me. Steel is better, thats why all the pro riders ride it.

You know what's really funny, besides the fact that some Pro-riders still ride hand built Pegoretti steel frames painted in their team colours.

Secondly the fact that people on here are gullible enough to believe a bike will make them climb better.

Thirdly the humour in the fact that in between the tongue in cheek comments and the serious arguments for "non-exotic" materials as carbon fibre are made, the rider still has around 5 kg's of tube to lose around the waist.

Give me a Specialized Epic 29'er steel frame ,and I will have the ultimate bike, I guess being a non-climbing, non weight conscious exotic material freak, I am quite happy to take the weight penalty for my meager 500 th. position in a race :thumbup:

If you could still find them, search google for Popeye's climbing tips and techniques and you will see what real climbing is all about.