The right tool 4 the JOB

rwa.basson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rrrrr Waaaaa Basson what kind of bike have you got. More modern type with the external BB? or older type with the square taper BB? Road bike or MTB? Disks or V-Brakes, callipers? etc etc.

Good tools out there are made by BBB, Pro, Pedro's and Park.

Park and Pedro's is workshop quality tools and more expensive. If you will be servicing and repairing your own bike go for BBB and Pro.

Go to www.chainreactioncycles.com ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=241 ) and set up your wishlist. Set the website to give you the cost in ZAR. You will only pay VAT and 10% on the Vat only. If your order is over ZAR 2570-00 you pay no shipping, so going into this with a few buddies you may just be able to save some money and bring in a few spares or upgrades.

It is very gratifying to stand back and see the fruits of your labour and know you did it yourself. It may be a bit of an overkill with all the tools you will eventually aquire but that is why quality is essential and it is an investment that will last you for many years.

There are more tools than you can ever remember but with the verrry basics like a chain tool, good set of allen keys, pedal spanner, cassette removal tool, chainwhip, crankset removal tool (Hollowtec II or square taper?), good set of small screwdrivers you can get very far. I have two fancy cable cutters but nowadays I cut cables with my Dremel tool. I have cut cables with an angle grinder. Bit of an overkill but it works. As you get more proficient you can expand your tool neccesities to do more jobs.

O ja first of all get yourself a good book, study the book and then decide what you want to buy. The Park Big Blue Book of Cycle Repair is a good starting point.

Lekker leer, droom en koop. Exciting!!!!!!!!

post-10453-0-18284300-1309248381.jpg

Something like this

I have got a Mongoose Amasa Super that was rebuild on sintesi 7teen frame

removed the tora 302 and replaced it with a fox f100 rl and replaced the deore fd with xt

bakes are avid juicy 3 (front rotor from a 180 is mount to a 160 post mount)

shifter and crack are still deore and rd xt

my crank uses got a hollowtech II bb

not to so about the headset (bt it is a fsa external with a small taper to steer)

every thing is less than a year old ..

But have got my dads bike that i also maintain and a 2 other bikes that im buzy restoring/rebuilding (just resprayed one of them 2 weeks back still need the stencles for the details)+ 1 steel roady for the trainer

but stuff like removing the crank and the cabling needed to be done by the bike shop

But the tools that you mentioned below what basicly what i think i need .

apart form one or two niknacks i wil need at a later stage . like a bleed kit for one

The Park Big Blue Book of Cycle Repair is on my wishlist for my bday in july

BBB Torque Tool @ CWC - R650.00

BBB Bottom Bracket Remover @ CWC - R180.00

BBB Cassette Remover @ CWC - R100.00

Chainwhip @ CWC - R100.00

Pedal Spanner @ CWC - R70.00

Allen Key Set @ CWC - R160.00 (Cheaper @ Builder's)

Good cable cutters and chain tools are not cheap...

Getting back to your post how important is to have a torque wrench if you dont have any carbon on your bike ?

i know most of the parts on my bike have a torque measurements like the rotors and casset ect..

I see you have Vaseline for when you get shafted :lol: :lol:

one qeastion what do use the mister Min and Vaseline for ? :huh:

?

A torque wrench is the most important tool you will ever buy. Regardless if you have carbon or not. my pre-torque wrench days cost me a stem, handlebar, seat post clamp and countless hours trying to remove striped screwsand bolts. My fault I know, but a torque wrench takes the guess work out of things.

Howd you fit your headset with only those tools?

How many headsets are not integrated these days? If you need to, you ask the shop to fit it as it is a once in a bike's lifetime job. The same with BB shell facing tools. Rather pay the shop R100 doing each frame then forking out R2000+ for the tool.

one qeastion what do use the mister Min and Vaseline for ? :huh:

?

Vaseline is nothing else than a grease. People have a great variety of use for Vaseline! :lol:

The Mr Min I use to spray the frame after I wash the bike. Not only does it work like polish but mud does not cling so easy and bugs just wipe off when you transport the bike. Just use the unscented one unless you want to smell like a pansy!

I have no real carbon thingies on any of my bikes. I only purchased the torque whrench because of its cuteness. Prior to that I never used it and gazillion other cyclists never used it as well. Tighten but do not overtighten.

PS take my advice and buy the book first. It is almost like baking the cake without a recipy!

Getting back to your post how important is to have a torque wrench if you dont have any carbon on your bike ?

i know most of the parts on my bike have a torque measurements like the rotors and casset ect..

A torque wrench is the most important tool you will ever buy. Regardless if you have carbon or not. my pre-torque wrench days cost me a stem, handlebar, seat post clamp and countless hours trying to remove striped screwsand bolts. My fault I know, but a torque wrench takes the guess work out of things.

A crushed bar, snapped stem plate or crushed seatpost could easily cost more than the R650.00 for the torque wrench.

Not to mention the P.I.T.A. to retrieve stripped bolts etc.

You are also not left wondering as you ride 'was that too tight or not tight enough?' and 'will my stem bolts snap or my bars slip ?' etc

Rather junk the Pro Nutro and carry a piece of Kryptonite in your pocket, or buy a twenty naainer as it seems twenty naainers can do everything!

On the torque subject - I recently got a RavX torque wrench to ensure I don't end up steering my kcnc handlebar or stem in the air :P

Now if the part says "max 5nm" how tight does one go ? Also my formula R1 brakes spesify 9nm to attach the callipers to the frame (carbon) and I feel that going that tight will brake the mount clean off the frame! Have just tightened it by hand now, but its kinda useless having the wrench but not using it correctly...

Then how about the big things like BB cups and cassette lockrings, people don't seem to use a torque wrench for those, especially as most have the integrated handle with the tool and not a bit that can go on a torque wrench.

Oh and what tool do you guys use to put 32mm dust wiper seals back into the fork ? And the oil seals ? In the rockshox manual they have a 2 sided drift, can I buy or make such a thing ?

hi-jack off

A crushed bar, snapped stem plate or crushed seatpost could easily cost more than the R650.00 for the torque wrench.

You are also not left wondering as you ride 'was that too tight or not tight enough?' and 'will my stem bolts snap or my bars slip ?' etc

I fully agree, but if you havent got the gatshinka to buy it now you can get about without buying it and remember you are working with soft frangible aluminium and stop trying to be strong!

On the torque subject - I recently got a RavX torque wrench to ensure I don't end up steering my kcnc handlebar or stem in the air :P

Now if the part says "max 5nm" how tight does one go ? Also my formula R1 brakes spesify 9nm to attach the callipers to the frame (carbon) and I feel that going that tight will brake the mount clean off the frame! Have just tightened it by hand now, but its kinda useless having the wrench but not using it correctly...

Then how about the big things like BB cups and cassette lockrings, people don't seem to use a torque wrench for those, especially as most have the integrated handle with the tool and not a bit that can go on a torque wrench.

Oh and what tool do you guys use to put 32mm dust wiper seals back into the fork ? And the oil seals ? In the rockshox manual they have a 2 sided drift, can I buy or make such a thing ?

hi-jack off

I got this one from www.chainreactioncycles.com for my Marzocchi forks.

post-24908-0-41148900-1309252967.jpg

i know all to well what could happen .. broke a bolt off on my car's engin block took me a week to remove the damn thing but never happen to me on my mtb

Vaseline is nothing else than a grease. People have a great variety of use for Vaseline! :lol:

The Mr Min I use to spray the frame after I wash the bike. Not only does it work like polish but mud does not cling so easy and bugs just wipe off when you transport the bike. Just use the unscented one unless you want to smell like a pansy!

I have no real carbon thingies on any of my bikes. I only purchased the torque whrench because of its cuteness. Prior to that I never used it and gazillion other cyclists never used it as well. Tighten but do not overtighten.

PS take my advice and buy the book first. It is almost like baking the cake without a recipy!

Haha never thought of using it in that way . . .

I am currently using a e-book cant remember the books name right now

but there is nothing like owning the hardcopy.