JD Bug

Berg Man

Would you guys that have had experience put a two year old straight onto a JD bug / Y bike or onto a plastic scooter type of bike first?

R1200-00 - little steep.

KTM Kids Training Bike

KTM Strider

They aren't cheap, but have an adjustable seat which seems to be an issue with the other ones.

He was able to ride it at just over 18 months. Is 3 now (and fairly tall for his age) and the seat can still be raised.

What I like the most on the ktms is the hand protectors. His hands would be smashed by now if it wasn't for those.

Oh and they handle mud well :-)

post-1406-0-08677100-1309268492.jpg

Would you guys that have had experience put a two year old straight onto a JD bug / Y bike or onto a plastic scooter type of bike first?

He spent 2 weeks on a little black 3 wheel scooter to get his confidence and moved quickly onto the Y-bike. He loves the Y-bike. Ill get him the JD bug as well though, as it requires better balance.

He spent 2 weeks on a little black 3 wheel scooter to get his confidence and moved quickly onto the Y-bike. He loves the Y-bike. Ill get him the JD bug as well though, as it requires better balance.

Thanks Chubba. My youngster will be 2 in October. He is currently scooting around on a black plastic scooter (albeit very tentatively) when he isn't strapped into his Weeride seat :thumbup: but I want to get him onto two wheels as soon as possible. Might start with the R195 one first and move up to the JD Bug.

Thanks Chubba. My youngster will be 2 in October. He is currently scooting around on a black plastic scooter (albeit very tentatively) when he isn't strapped into his Weeride seat :thumbup: but I want to get him onto two wheels as soon as possible. Might start with the R195 one first and move up to the JD Bug.

Those that know say youngsters should first develop their motor skills before learning how to balance. The three wheeled black bikes do that but the Y Bike gives the option for motor skills as well as balance when they can.

The R195 made by Avalanche (see the pic above) one has got a seat clamp with an adjustable seat post. It has got inflatable tyres and a drum rear brake. It does not have the later option to add pedals like the JD Bug. The JD Bug pedals are not "real" pedals as they have a roller that drives the rear wheel. The plastic Y bike has got a wide rear wheel that aids in balance but the rear wheel also has a raised strip that these litlle buggers very soon find out has less drag and if they are not lazy and balance properly they can go faster!

When it comes to bikes they are not much different to us but they do not really mind if Daddy or Grandpa buys them a R1200 KTM, a bike thathas won some award or a R195 Avalanche (I see not much diference between the twost to soothe their own ego's. except the handguards) They will only use these bikes for a few months. Unless you plan to have 12 kids rather buy the cheaper option. I am sure some dads would have bought the carbon fibre option if there was one, just to soothe their own ego's

The R195 made by Avalanche

Hey e, where did you get that? Went looking today but nothing at Game, checkers hyper, or toys r us.

Hey e, where did you get that? Went looking today but nothing at Game, checkers hyper, or toys r us.

Cycle House in Pretoria North - 012-546 9855. At that price it will even be cheap to post it to you in CT. Ask him to check the tubes. Those in in the one I bought for my Grandson popped when we inflated and he replaced them.

Or come to civilisation and buy it yourself :lol: :lol:

Edited by eccentric1

Cycle House in Pretoria North - 012-546 9855. At that price it will even be cheap to post it to you in CT. Ask him to check the tubes. Those in in the one I bought for my Grandson popped when we inflated and he replaced them.

Or come to civilisation and buy it yourself :lol: :lol:

Thanks will give him a shout.

I think your confused, i live in paradise! ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks will give him a shout.

I think your confused, i live in paradise! ;)

Available at Checkers Hyper Parow for R399

Available at Checkers Hyper Parow for R399

Thanks - got one a couple weeks ago from there! My son loves it!

Great deal.