Problems with abnormal Heart Rate readings- Polar 720i

Reg Lizard

I had the 725i and loved it. For a while. Then exactly the same thing happened - range dropped lower and lower until it didn't work. Changed battery worked for a while then same thing. New strap lasted about 5 months then same thing.

Polar's answer didn't change - "tighten the strap" was all they had to say...

Eventually I bought a Garmin Edge 500 and have never looked back - no need to have a magnet on each bike - no need for seperate bike settings - no need to wet the strap - signal works from miles away.

Only problem is the software - Garmin haven't quite reached Polar's level yet. In my opinion Polar have peaked - Garmin is the new way to go.

When you say "Software" do you mean "Management Software", like Polar Personal Trainer, or do you mean the actual software on the Watch/Computer, ie. HR calculation, Calorie calculation, and other formulas used for presenting the RAW Collected Data from all Sensors?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "Software" do you mean "Management Software", like Polar Personal Trainer, or do you mean the actual software on the Watch/Computer, ie. HR calculation, Calorie calculation, and other formulas used for presenting the RAW Collected Data from all Sensors?

Good question!

I mean the software for the PC not the HR unit. I have never had an HR unit software problem (Polar or Garmin). Never a connecting problem either for that matter.

I use my pc software mostly for logging rides and intensity. The polar stuff I enjoyed because it's laid out in a nice, convenient way to read - weekly with totals per week on the right. Maybe I'm just dumbass but the Garmin stuff I can only get the Microsoft style drop down menu - I have to total weeks manually to try and makes sense of it. Not impossible just way easier on the Polar software.

The Garmin map overlay is visually cool but essentially useless - 95% of the time I know exactly where I ride and the route. I did have fun collecting runs from all my travels though!

That raises an interesting question - does anyone know of an Edge 500 holder? Right now I run with it in my hand and thats a bit annoying. Would be nice to pop it in a holder attached to my body somewhere.

If its mesh one then imo those are a FU, even if its fairly new. I'm sure u can get the older type plastic / rubber strap for the 720 and they work all the time without fail.

Ding ding! All those useless mesh style straps are good at is collecting salt from your sweat. After a 6 hour ride in summer you could let them dry and fill up your salt shaker!

Eldron....... Have you ever tried SportTracks 3? With a wholre bunch of plugins that constantly get developed, EVEN ON REQUEST. I promoise....... YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK