Problems with abnormal Heart Rate readings- Polar 720i

Reg Lizard

As pointed out by other members, 2 common causes for irregular readings are cycling by power lines and the effect of a shirt flapping against the transmitter. I think it's safe to say that your batteries and strap etc. will all be fine cos Polar would have checked these recently, so chances are it's one of these 2 issues.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As pointed out by other members, 2 common causes for irregular readings are cycling by power lines and the effect of a shirt flapping against the transmitter. I think it's safe to say that your batteries and strap etc. will all be fine cos Polar would have checked these recently, so chances are it's one of these 2 issues.

I had the 725i and loved it. For a while. Then exactly the same thing happened - range dropped lower and lower until it didn't work. Changed battery worked for a while then same thing. New strap lasted about 5 months then same thing.

Polar's answer didn't change - "tighten the strap" was all they had to say...

Eventually I bought a Garmin Edge 500 and have never looked back - no need to have a magnet on each bike - no need for seperate bike settings - no need to wet the strap - signal works from miles away.

Only problem is the software - Garmin haven't quite reached Polar's level yet. In my opinion Polar have peaked - Garmin is the new way to go.

Reg Lizzard stated that "So I send the HR sensor and wearlink strap to Polar and the replace everything under guarantee." and this I did not see as including the Polar watch battery itself, so I mentioned it as I know I had the same issues and the new battery resolved the problem.

If it helps then great. If not, at least you have a new batery in your watch :))

I had the 725i and loved it. For a while. Then exactly the same thing happened - range dropped lower and lower until it didn't work. Changed battery worked for a while then same thing. New strap lasted about 5 months then same thing.

Eventually I bought a Garmin Edge 500 and have never looked back - no need to have a magnet on each bike - no need for seperate bike settings - no need to wet the strap - signal works from miles away.

Only problem is the software - Garmin haven't quite reached Polar's level yet. In my opinion Polar have peaked - Garmin is the new way to go.

+1 exactly the same experience...a permanent solution would be to get an edge 500

Luckily there is some pretty good aftermarket software you can buy for your garmin if you want.

Wow - then I'd hate to see the Garmin software! Personally I think the polar precision performance software is pretty useless :)

Reg Lizzard stated that "So I send the HR sensor and wearlink strap to Polar and the replace everything under guarantee." and this I did not see as including the Polar watch battery itself, so I mentioned it as I know I had the same issues and the new battery resolved the problem.

If it helps then great. If not, at least you have a new batery in your watch :))

The watch is just over a year old and the battery low indicator has not appeared on the display. Usually these batteries last about 2 years

Edited by Reg Lizard

A colleague showed me some pretty nice/impressive graphs of route profiles, etc and he has the Garmin 500 :unsure:

Ja look it has some nice features, like overlaying HR, speed, elevation, temp and cadence over time or distance, you also have this little player that shows your position on google earth and your recorded speed, cadence and HR at that time, its also easy to share your workouts with mates etc. It's a polished product, just not as flexible I believe as other aftermarket software.

This is breedts from the garage a while ago, play around

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83170448

I have started to wonder about the Polar product and it would appear everybody is having problems with their products. :unsure:

The wearlink strap was replaced with the sensor about 1 and a half months ago.

Is it one of those "mesh type" straps i.e. mesh interface on your skin or the older type which is kinda like rubber or plastic?

If its mesh one then imo those are a FU, even if its fairly new. I'm sure u can get the older type plastic / rubber strap for the 720 and they work all the time without fail.

At the epic the polar dude also told me to tighten the strap tighter than normal and to try wearing it in reverse i.e. the interface is on your back instead of on your chest (that was for the old non mesh type strap). I tightened it up quite a bit and that worked, never tried the reverse trick tho....

its also easy to share your workouts with mates etc.

Rule #4:

Never share workouts with your mates.

I also had powerline and shirt flapping problems with my Polar. I'm now on my third Garmin (305, 705 and now 800) and have never had a problem...

Ok some feedback: I tightened the strap again last night and yes I think I only experienced abnormal results once or twice during my ride. So there seems to be an improvement :D

I agree with everything you're saying here, except for the software stuff. My experience with their software has been even worse than all the other problems you mention and the Polar forums are overflowing with people reporting sync problems with their devices.

Garmin FTW

I'm shocked. You spend how much on a Polar, and if you wear a loose shirt it doesn't work? WTF?

didn't read the other posts, but sometimes it helps to tighten the strap. If mine's loose, it sometimes shows a HR of 220 or something while it should be 140.