First Real MTB

SPK

Hi, this is my first Topic on TheHub SA, so here goes..

I'm 20 years old and currently a second year engineering student. I had a few mountain bikes in my life, but nothing to write home about. I want to bike on a more regular and serious base. The purpose of the bike I am currently looking for is for riding off-road, cross-country and maybe a bit downhill as well as the occasionally on-road. Me and some friends want to try out on-road races for fun, like the 94.7. I was thinking of a Hard tail mountain bike in the price range of not more than R 6000.00

After some research I found the following options within my budget:

Silverback Saturn: Saturn

Silverback Phoenix: Phoenix

Merida: Hard-Tail Merida

Schwinn Moab Comp: Moab Comp

Scott Aspect 40: Aspect 40

Scott Aspect 30: Aspect 30

Not sure which Merida MTB, just heard they are good value for money. I tend to lean towards the Silverback because of its Shimano parts. Also heard those parts are good. Although I like the frame of the Scott more. (Love aggressive looking bikes ;) )

I would like some comments and help in deciding on my first mtb bike. Other bikes than the ones I mentioned is more than welcome..

Thanx in advance!

I was in the same position like you a few months ago with same options. I really liked the scott aspect 30 but had bad components. so I looked at the silverback phoenix and got me 1. Its 1 good and solid bike with decent components and im quite happy with it. perfect for a 1st bike. So i'd say go SB phoenix! :thumbup:

I was in the same position like you a few months ago with same options. I really liked the scott aspect 30 but had bad components. so I looked at the silverback phoenix and got me 1. Its 1 good and solid bike with decent components and im quite happy with it. perfect for a 1st bike. So i'd say go SB phoenix! :thumbup:

+1

Thanx alot for your replies.. I tried to find the SB Phoenix, but can't seem to find it in store.. Think I will just settle with the Saturn as my budget got a bit tighter as well..

I think the Saturn is a pretty nice entry level bike and good value for money. I think the 2011 was retailing for R5500.00 at the end of 2010 so if it has dropped then it is an even better deal.

Hi, this is my first Topic on TheHub SA, so here goes..

I'm 20 years old and currently a second year engineering student. I had a few mountain bikes in my life, but nothing to write home about. I want to bike on a more regular and serious base. The purpose of the bike I am currently looking for is for riding off-road, cross-country and maybe a bit downhill as well as the occasionally on-road. Me and some friends want to try out on-road races for fun, like the 94.7. I was thinking of a Hard tail mountain bike in the price range of not more than R 6000.00

After some research I found the following options within my budget:

Silverback Saturn: Saturn

Silverback Phoenix: Phoenix

Merida: Hard-Tail Merida

Schwinn Moab Comp: Moab Comp

Scott Aspect 40: Aspect 40

Scott Aspect 30: Aspect 30

Not sure which Merida MTB, just heard they are good value for money. I tend to lean towards the Silverback because of its Shimano parts. Also heard those parts are good. Although I like the frame of the Scott more. (Love aggressive looking bikes ;) )

I would like some comments and help in deciding on my first mtb bike. Other bikes than the ones I mentioned is more than welcome..

Thanx in advance!

What size frame would you be looking at?

"The purpose of the bike I am currently looking for is for riding off-road, cross-country and maybe a bit downhill as well as the occasionally on-road."

You going to battle to find a bike that suits all of this.

What size frame would you be looking at?

I'll be looking for a Large frame..

"The purpose of the bike I am currently looking for is for riding off-road, cross-country and maybe a bit downhill as well as the occasionally on-road."

You going to battle to find a bike that suits all of this.

Haha! Yes, after I typed and posted that I realized maybe I was being a bit to enthusiastic about getting the "perfect bike"..

Some good used deals going down on the hub, if you are not in a rush, stick around.

I kinda cant wait to get my hands on my first bike.. So I doubt if I will stick around that long.. But Thanx!