Stan skewer problem?

maddox

Has anyone out there had any problems with Stan's skewers? I've recently got a factory built set of Crest's with stans hub/skewers. The rear skewer has worked itself loose on 2 occasions. Fortunately the consequences were not dire! On both occasasions the skewer was very tight before starting the ride. Whats odd is that even after closing the skewer (very tight) you can still move the skewer rotationally (if that makes any sense). Got the rep coming to the bike shop to take a look but wondering whether this is a known problem and if I should just avoid Stans skewers altogether?

It sounds to me like an axle length/dropout thickness problem rather than a skewer problem.

Are you sure the axles stubs don't protrode past the drop-outs, preventing the skewer from clamping?

I dont particularly like shimano, but their skewers are the best. I had problems with my chris king hubs - the preload to the bearings was always working its way loose. Replaced the skewers with shimano and whola!

It sounds to me like an axle length/dropout thickness problem rather than a skewer problem.

Are you sure the axles stubs don't protrode past the drop-outs, preventing the skewer from clamping?

The bikes at the shop awaiting the rep to take a look but AFAIK this isn't the problem.