MTB'ing in or around Winklespruit, KZN???

Squier

goto virginia. U wont be disappointed. There is more than 40km worth of trails and you can mix and match and have a great ride. We have been there at 630 and cycled so time isnt much of an issue. It is colder in the mornings now tho. Was 5 degrees last time we rode haha.

Giba is a mess at the moment, signage is terrible and the trails not that well kept compared to virginia

you should leave very early on the 4th and stop at harrismith for the dirty harry mtb race on your way back

Thanks Shaun, but we're heading back on the 4th so I'll be missing out. :(

Benjamin, King_Cripsy, I'll definitely consider Giba! Sounds like some serious fun!

Can't wait to hit the trails! :thumbup:

You gotta make a trip to Giba, you will need to be shown around the trails otherwise you can get a bit lost. There is more then enough quality single track.

goto virginia. U wont be disappointed. There is more than 40km worth of trails and you can mix and match and have a great ride. We have been there at 630 and cycled so time isnt much of an issue. It is colder in the mornings now tho. Was 5 degrees last time we rode haha.

Giba is a mess at the moment, signage is terrible and the trails not that well kept compared to virginia

Virginia is definitely on the cards! I'm really hoping that it warms up in the next two weeks, but I'm not too worried... KZN people don't know what cold is... :P You'll be complaining about the cold and it'll feel like summer to me! :lol:

you should leave very early on the 4th and stop at harrismith for the dirty harry mtb race on your way back

:blink: See, I'm not that enthusiastic! :P I've heard many things about the dirty harry... :unsure: no, i'm lying, I've heard one thing and one thing only; that it's tough as nails! And that place get's cold! Though it's definitely still on the to-do list, I'll give it a miss this year.

You gotta make a trip to Giba, you will need to be shown around the trails otherwise you can get a bit lost. There is more then enough quality single track.

Thanks, seriously contemplating driving out to Giba as well. I see there is a map on their website, is this then outdated?

they are busy changing trails and that from what i have heard. But when i go i havent been with people that know the routes. The signage and course marking is bad and you end up contra flow on trails and also find myself on different trails. Def some good riding. The anti gravity course was awesome last i went.

signage is a bit bad, but that is something they are working on... but the comment about the trails not being well kept is a load of crap. They are too well kept for my liking, need to be able to rough it on a ride ;).

Like the other guys have mentioned, you have to go give Giba a go.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Last question on Virginia Farm; my wife saw the photos of the farm on their website and wants to go with and sit and read while I ride. See, she's also an avid MTB'er but she's pregnant now so can't ride... Is there a nice and safe spot where she can sit and chill while I ride?

I'm not too keen on the idea of her sitting alone somewhere while I'm out on the trails kms away, but I said I'll find out... What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know of other places near Illovo where my wife and I can go do some MTBing this December? She is a novice so nothing too technical...