Bains mtb Trails - Wellington.

The Search

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Welvanpas a TMTBC member trail next year. It's actually such a quick drive from my place, will probably be there every second weekend.

So, Welvanpas a TMTBC member trail next year. It's actually such a quick drive from my place, will probably be there every second weekend.

Enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Search, I haven't been to that Bobsleigh one yet, but popped in for some sections over the weekend... and man, the Shuttle is SUCH an improvement over the uphill wingerd section. Likewise the entry above the tar road, it hardly feels like you're climbing. (Oh wait, maybe that's just because I'm going that slow...)

It might not be one of the "wow" sections, but it is an immense improvement and I, for one, really appreciate it!  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

One more thing...

I rode black section today and came across a group of totally lost people. They have obviously wandered into the trails by mistake.

Esp with the new entrance above the tar road, maybe you should consider some signage to say it is a pay-to-ride trail and not everybody passing can jump in and ride around. (And maybe a disclaimer? - not that I'm a legal eagle...)

I could see there was no malice or intended rogue riding, they simply rode in... and found themselves way over their heads very soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

Questions:

I rode the white route a couple of times but about 2 years ago and coped ok with it - will I be ok on the black route? What are the major differences between the 2?

What are "free Fall River drops" ?

And are there groups that ride in the week on a regular basis?

TIA

Black is much tougher climbing - almost a 1000m in first 16km iirc. White more spread out. Both have fun technical sections and great single track. I much prefer white.

Questions:

I rode the white route a couple of times but about 2 years ago and coped ok with it - will I be ok on the black route? What are the major differences between the 2?

What are "free Fall River drops" ?

And are there groups that ride in the week on a regular basis?

TIA

It depends on your fitness and technical skills. I rode the Black route on the weekend and was surprised at how rutted some of the single track was on the way down. The climb up is long but not technical so it just a question of pacing. The way down has some track that is rocky and rutted. Not radical but if your skills are not good you may have to walk short sections. Overall it's a fantastic route.

"The climb up is long but not technical so it just a question of pacing." And it is mostly covered singletrack climbing through the forest so you have shade. Bonus.

"
The way down has some track that is rocky and rutted." Perhaps, but nothing out of the ordinary and that one gully is well signed. 

"Overall it's a fantastic route." Quite. The closest to Karkloof type riding I have done in WC. Absolutely worth the cost of whatever climbing is involved. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...