Bains mtb Trails - Wellington.

The Search

Was on the far side of white the morning the fire started - initially thought it was mist rolling over... Thought that this was looking bad when I realised it's smoke, so very glad to hear it's okay. Hopefully not too much other damage...(?)

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015 Cape Epic is coming back to Wellington. 3x Stages involves Wellington and stage 6 is Welvanpas and our Black route is included in that stage. Brilliant!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Search - I saw that there's a trail run on tomorrow... Just for planning the weekend - will some sections of the trails be closed Saturday morning? If so, which sections and where can I ride if I do come through on Sat? 

Just out of interest, what are the chances of cutting a dedicated DH track running parallel to the Pass near Heaven's Gate/PointBreak? I noticed that there are two forestry entrances about 1.6km apart from each other along the Pass which could serve as shuttle drop-off an pick-up points.

Obviously one would still pay for the privilege.

Just a wild thought. The gradient and terrain is there.

Went through on Sunday and just confirmed to myself again... that Point Break is just the most awesome little piece of track around! It's got a bit of everything - if that does not leave you grinning, you're part of the Walking Dead cast.

Went through on Sunday and just confirmed to myself again... that Point Break is just the most awesome little piece of track around! It's got a bit of everything - if that does not leave you grinning, you're part of the Walking Dead cast.

Which piece is that? White or black? I've only done white... Think it's time I head back there, this weekend.

Whilst in the Wellington area its well worth riding Rhebokskloof, very nice trails approx 25-27 Km of nice flowing technical trails nearly all  singletrack

Whilst in the Wellington area its well worth riding Rhebokskloof, very nice trails approx 25-27 Km of nice flowing technical trails nearly all  singletrack

It's not that technical, but it is definitely a great ride.

Point Break is part of the black section. If you follow the designated route, I think it's the 3rd section of singletrack you get. Heaven's gate, then another without name, to get to Point Break.

Go ride black/yellow combo. You'll thank me (and the trail builders!) later...  I told a friend just yesterday it's hard to believe it's on the same trails due to a lot of black being "forresty" - it's in the section of woods/plantation above the tar road. So a bit more climbing involved than white, but nothing Everesty.

And that's taking nothing away from white! It remains awesome and I enjoy that. It's just the sheer fun of Point Break that's hard to equal. And I'm not a strong technical rider...  :blush:

Point Break is part of the black section. If you follow the designated route, I think it's the 3rd section of singletrack you get. Heaven's gate, then another without name, to get to Point Break.

Go ride black/yellow combo. You'll thank me (and the trail builders!) later...  I told a friend just yesterday it's hard to believe it's on the same trails due to a lot of black being "forresty" - it's in the section of woods/plantation above the tar road. So a bit more climbing involved than white, but nothing Everesty.

And that's taking nothing away from white! It remains awesome and I enjoy that. It's just the sheer fun of Point Break that's hard to equal. And I'm not a strong technical rider...  :blush:

Thanks. Will check it out...  :thumbup:

So that's a no I guess...

Maybe in the future, at the moment building / extending the Black Route getting it Epic ready.

This will be some of the best singletrack anywhere.

Archived