Smolly

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks - good news!!!!

Metal pads suck!!!!!!!!

I had a set of resin pads delivered, courtesy of one of the drivers at Sun City (Mpho T), and what a pleasure! Even braking and no noise or vibration!

If you at Sun city this weekend and are keen for a beer, give me shout!

Thanks to all who helped, and especially to Cassie for warning me about the evils of "devil metal pads"

Cheers,

Neil

Was / is your rear caliper aligned with the rotor?

Don't be to quick to knock the metal - resin is fine till there is mud!!

A long day with mud will "eat" resin pads in no time.

This makes fast downhills real exciting when your brakes fail.

Been running LX and now SLX with sintered pads for 2 years now.

They make more noise, but they last and they work!

I'm no expert, but that's my 2 cents :-)

Edited by zaslinger

This is not an unknown problem. Can be fixed by going to a smaller diameter rotor.

This is the only only only answer. I've had the same problem, Tried different disks, pads, centrelock vs 6bolt, different wheelsets, etc. etc. Eventually went from 180 to 160mm. Resolved.

This is the only only only answer. I've had the same problem, Tried different disks, pads, centrelock vs 6bolt, different wheelsets, etc. etc. Eventually went from 180 to 160mm. Resolved.

when this problem started for me, I had already dropped from 180 to 160, and then I upgraded my brakes to XT and the bike shop dropped in metal pads. I asked if they put metal or resin in, and they said resin. When I took the brakes out to try sanding them, they turned out to be metal. So i ordered resin, and the problem stopped immediately!

Folks - good news!!!!

Metal pads suck!!!!!!!!

I had a set of resin pads delivered, courtesy of one of the drivers at Sun City (Mpho T), and what a pleasure! Even braking and no noise or vibration!

If you at Sun city this weekend and are keen for a beer, give me shout!

Thanks to all who helped, and especially to Cassie for warning me about the evils of "devil metal pads"

Cheers,

Neil

GLAd your problem is solved!! :thumbup: :thumbup: