What DH tyres and pressures are ppl running?

Melch

if you want long lasting tyres - Kenda Nevegal are the way

if you want mad grip - Maxxis Minion F. (DONT GET THE Minion R - the R stands for RUBBISH)

Run a minion Front (F) on the back as well - awesome tyre

Pressures - 2bar front

2.2bar rear

and i run them tubeless!

Crow are you running the 2.35 or 2.5 High rollers on your AM bike? Just got one 2.35 for the front yesterday from CRC. Never ridden them before, so can't wait to give them a bash over the weekend. Always had Nevegals, but decided to give the High Rollers a go. The funny thing is, the HR's look thinner (less bulky) than the 2.35 Nevegals on the rim. But they do have a much more aggressive tread pattern than the Nevegals. Will be interesting to compare the grip between the two.

Used to swop between a 2.35 and 2.5 depending on the riding planned, but now I just keep the 2.5 on there. FREAKING heavy but lank grip. 2.1 Nevegal = about the same size as 2.35 HR. So yeah, for sure narrower which accounts for some of the weight saving.

I used to ride Nevegals on everything, decided to try HR's and won't go back anytime soon. A LOT faster, at least equal grip and lighter. What's not to like?! New Nobby Nics are nice too and would love to try the new High Roller II.

2.5 minions DHFs front and rear

Pressures: 1.9 - 2.1 bar front, 2.3 - 2.5 bar rear.

Want to switch to 2.35s, slightly narrower, but you get onto those sideknobs a bit quicker too, so less lean required, but does depend on your tire pressure.

• 4 months later...

Finally ran my minions ragged and will be running Schwalbe Muddy Mary's for 2012. Still fine tuning the new fork and shock, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm loving the MMs. Roll really fast and grip like mad. And here's some flamebait: they feeling better than minions.

if you want long lasting tyres - Kenda Nevegal are the way

if you want mad grip - Maxxis Minion F. (DONT GET THE Minion R - the R stands for RUBBISH)

Run a minion Front (F) on the back as well - awesome tyre

Pressures - 2bar front

2.2bar rear

and i run them tubeless!

Nevegals are the worst tyres I've ever had. Slow and some of the trails I like to ride ended up with pinch flats most of the time (I wasn't running them tubeless I'll admit).

Here's an old bit of test data (no Maxxis High rollers there) http://www.mckramppi.com/en/bike04rengas/Bike2004rengasanalyysi.htm

I've been running Ardent's front and back for a bit. 2.35, I'm loving them. Running them tubeless and soft at around 1.25 bar. Oh and the Maxxis roll a lot faster and the grip feels great.

Edited by rob_mtb

Nevegals are the worst tyres I've ever had. Slow and some of the trails I like to ride ended up with pinch flats most of the time (I wasn't running them tubeless I'll admit).

Here's an old bit of test data (no Maxxis High rollers there) http://www.mckramppi.com/en/bike04rengas/Bike2004rengasanalyysi.htm

I've been running Ardent's front and back for a bit. 2.35, I'm loving them. Running them tubeless and soft at around 1.25 bar. Oh and the Maxxis roll a lot faster and the grip feels great.

Have to say Im really impressed by how easy it is to fit a Maxxis Minion 2.35 Dual ply Wire bead as tubeless. Did exactly that on Saturday and the tyre actually held air without even having sealant inside, even though it was pumped up to 4.3 bar. Clicks into place and no air leaks / bubbles at the bead whatsoever so I was very impressed.

Edited by MariusD

Have to say Im really impressed by how easy it is to fit a Maxxis Minion 2.35 Dual ply Wire bead as tubeless. Did exactly that on Saturday and the tyre actually held air without even having sealant inside, even though it was pumped up to 4.3 bar. Clicks into place and no air leaks / bubbles at the bead whatsoever so I was very impressed.

Agreed, I usually run Conti, but the prices are just not realistic anymore. Switched to Maxxis and am all round impressed I must say. I needed to what 65psi into them to seat them first time, but they are running great. Couldn't be happier, and the price is right.