Temp Job Offer - Bike Mechanic - End November

Mileage

St Stithians Boys College in Randburg holds a Gr10 camp each year near Lydenburg. The camp is an outdoor adventure for the boys and includes many activities such as hiking, rock climbing, abseiling, rafting and mountain biking.

We require the services of a bike mechanic for the week of the camp. Rides take place twice a day in the mid morning/mid afternoon. The main responsibilities are the maintenance of the bikes between rides i.e. brake cables/pads, gear cables/derailleur’s, pedal/crank/BB’s and puncture repair.

The College has 20 bikes which the various groups use to complete the mountain biking section of the camp. The bikes are reasonable for the use intended – Flat pedals, Alivio components, V Brakes etc. However letting some 16 year olds loose ensures that they are sometimes damaged through falls, or poor skills.

In addition the person would assist other staff members with the rides on the farm when maintenance allows (which is almost always). These rides take place over about 12-15km of rocky jeep track, farm roads and a small amount of single track. This would involve either leading the ride or acting as sweeper for the back markers, and assisting along the way with mechanical problems that occur. Your own bike for this would be a plus.

Activity staff stay in tents at various sites and the boys hike from activity to activity. You would need to bring your own camping kit (sleeping bag, mattress, stove etc) and anything else to live for the week. The College can provide a tent/stove if you don’t have your own. You will need to provide your own food for the week.

We would like to travel up with the bike trailer on the eve of Friday 18th November to set up on Saturday. The 1st group would start the riding on Sunday 20th. The camp ends and we will return to Jhb on the afternoon of Friday 25th November.

The pay for the week is R3000. Depending on your employment situation you may have to deduct some tax from this as well as factor in the cost of your food for the week.

If you are interested in this please PM me with a short CV with your bike mechanic/maintenance experience and cycling experience. We would like to have a person confirmed by early October.

Jamie Croly