Babba's Lodge

pezulu

Any reason for the valid CSA license?

Does this only apply for seeding or is it a must to participate?

I've never been asked to show it but I think it's just 'protocol'.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode my First MTB race at babbas yesterday - What a jol! very well organised - some road event organisers should take lessons!

I will be back for sure.

I have to have a very good reason to miss Babbas. Usually just do the 35k for fun. Home by 12. And don't let anyone tell u there's no hill. The one hill is a lekker little challenge. And sand? That's not sand... I survived Sondela!

I have to have a very good reason to miss Babbas. Usually just do the 35k for fun. Home by 12. And don't let anyone tell u there's no hill. The one hill is a lekker little challenge. And sand? That's not sand... I survived Sondela!

I guess my def of a hill differs from your's then

I have to agree with you there, despite my Garmin claiming 780m total ascent?? (Don't think that's right.)

Either way, with 10th overall in the 70km I left Babba's a happy chappy.

granted... its hardly alpes d'huez

but from 16.0km until 21.1km its a 134m ascent

isn't that a hill for a your average Joe?

I have to agree with you there, despite my Garmin claiming 780m total ascent?? (Don't think that's right.)

Either way, with 10th overall in the 70km I left Babba's a happy chappy.

congrats man! I'd be over the moon with 10th :-)

i like to think im a pretty competent road cyclist (sub 3 argus this year) and i found it quite tough! hahaha, a very different style of racing. Was like one long interval session the sand patches stopping all your momentum the whole time.

i bust my butt to get a 23 avg over the 35km (came 30th) :blush: . and i have admit just shook my head when i saw how fast the guys are racing the 70km!! damn.. one thing is for sure, riding MTB is sure gonna help performance on the road.

but yeah i have to admit, the most fun i have had at a bike race in a long time!

i like to think im a pretty competent road cyclist (sub 3 argus this year) and i found it quite tough! hahaha, a very different style of racing. Was like one long interval session the sand patches stopping all your momentum the whole time.

i bust my butt to get a 23 avg over the 35km (came 30th) :blush: . and i have admit just shook my head when i saw how fast the guys are racing the 70km!! damn.. one thing is for sure, riding MTB is sure gonna help performance on the road.

but yeah i have to admit, the most fun i have had at a bike race in a long time!

NO time to sit and and slipstream! JUST Go! Go! Go! I love Babbas, but then I am a self proclaimed dirt roadie

what would you guys call a competitive avg / time for a venue like babbas? Think A level or top end open men. over 30km/h?

what would you guys call a competitive avg / time for a venue like babbas? Think A level or top end open men. over 30km/h?

You'll have to think the 60/65/70km distance when thinking 'competitive'. The shorter one is for school kids/housewives/weekend warriors ;) and MJ :devil:

December I did a 1:22 on my SS. The route was shortened though, so we did 31km

Jules normally blitzes Babbas. Not sure whether he was there with or without his gears past weekend...

Results: http://www.spectrumsport.co.za/Portals/17/ResultDoc/Babbas_Classic_MTB_20120729.pdf

You'll have to think the 60/65/70km distance when thinking 'competitive'. The shorter one is for school kids/housewives/weekend warriors ;) and MJ :devil:

December I did a 1:22 on my SS. The route was shortened though, so we did 31km

Jules normally blitzes Babbas. Not sure whether he was there with or without his gears past weekend...

Results: http://www.spectrumsport.co.za/Portals/17/ResultDoc/Babbas_Classic_MTB_20120729.pdf

at the average i did on sun im guessing a 70km would have taken around 3 - 3h15, that any good? the 32+ winning avg of Julius is crazy!

im guess im trying to find out what the average, semi serious guys are doing on a course like that . from what i gather an average of around 26-30 odd km p/hr? tme to shake off those winter cobwebs !

Edited by Audible Anarchy

at the average i did on sun im guessing a 70km would have taken around 3 - 3h15, that any good? the 32+ winning avg of Julius is crazy!

im guess im trying to find out what the average, semi serious guys are doing on a course like that . from what i gather an average of around 26-30 odd km p/hr? tme to shake off those winter cobwebs !

Just do it before summer starts. the sun out there is relentless! I've only ever done one "70" and that was at a constant, slowish, pace. Did a 3:23 and was uncomfortably close to the tail end of the field!

Loads of fun! Must say the race is flat but unexpectedly tough! Very trots with my sub 2:20 (haha is there such a thing...) for the 63km...

That's how I train, MTB majority of the year and then come all the road races in summer I hop on the road bike (planning on riding sub 2h30 at 94.7).

Back on topic, Babba's is good intensity training! Just hope I can beat my 10th place on the next one. :thumbup: