Commuting and fitness...

davetapson

If there is safe parking at the office take the bike to work ride home then ride back the next morning.

That might actually be a feasible plan.

Also depends on your commitments time wise. You can do long distances if you keep the intensity down - but that takes time. If you have commitments, you need to hammer it all the time (on homebound rides anyway) and that takes it's toll on the legs.

Commuting normally ends up being two TT sessions a day for me. I uses weekends to get the Long Slow Distance rides in the legs to recover.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So it's been a month of commuting:

- two weeks of ride home monday, ride to work tuesday, ride home thursday, ride to work friday

- a (rest) week of ride home monday, ride to work tuesday and one session on an indoor trainer

- and a hard week of three commutes (home and back three times = 6 rides).

Results?

Lost 2kg, 1% body fat, 2mm Blood pressure on both systolic and diastolic (or whateverstolics they are). Resting pulse rate down about 8 bpm (no, I'm not a stats freak...)

Fittrack says:

post-1995-0-54072600-1317992613.jpg

Looks like I might make my training target for 94.7 after all.

• 4 weeks later...

Two months of commuting:

Weight loss: 3.7kg (valiantly fighting this off with Hansa and chocolate - from this, it looks like I need more Hansa.)

Blood pressure: Systolic down 10mm, Diastolic unchanged. Dunno what this means in real life - which is more important?

Can't find body fat% on Virgin's site, but it was down another percent or so.

post-1995-0-10225400-1320409829.png