Best HR monitor for stats geek (Current Suunto owner)

twiga

Also, the polar service in SA is an absolute shocker whereas garmin is really on the ball (I've had the experience of getting both a garmin edge 305 and the polar rs800cx both repaired under warranty before).

For Polar service, deal with them direct in Vorna Valley. Have been there a couple of times over the years and service has been 100%.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ricochet_rabbit

We chose to go the route of joining the ANT+ Alliance and developing the Motion M01-1 to be ANT+ enabled for a number of different reasons. The main benefit of using ANT+ is the low battery power consumption and the ability to use sensors from a multitude of 3rd party manufacturers providing customers with greater choice in terms of what kind of sensors they would like to use. Also, if you already have ANT+ enabled equipment form another manufacturer, then it means you don't have to buy duplicate pieces of the same equipment types.

ANT+ device profiles are exanding rapidly and these profiles are continuously supported by the Motion M01-1 in the form of updated firmware which is released on a regular basis.

We also use ANT+ for proprietry communication with sensors which do not fall into ANT+ device specific profiles. For example, we used it recently during the Dual Slalom MTB race arranged by the Tygerberg MTB club to record accurate lap timing using our Virtual Intersects system and broadcast it live to a computer as each rider crossed the finish line.

Hi Mobii, I think you may have misunderstood me. I certainly don't disapprove of your use of the ANT+ technology. I was just letting the hubber know that it won't collect data from Polar sensors unless you have managed to get Polar to release the required info, and some additional info as to why Polar are reportedly not adopting ANT+

Good Luck with your product.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

In-terms of power training - my cycle ops or you can look at different brands gives me digital second by second real time data that I can use to control the output of my training session and develop my growth in my weaker areas.

power taps give information during your ride such as:

- current or AVG and MX pwr (in watts)

- current or AVG and MX torque (in Nm)

- Speed AVG or MX

- HRT AVG or MX

- Climbing Gradient (in % og Gradient)

- Height in meters

- loss in meters

- Normalized PWR

- Work out Stress

when you DL you ride info you can actually see what your ride outputs are; you can then train to effectively improve your pwr output and bring your HRT down; the software allows you to evaluate your ride in total you can zoom into and out of intervals, or sessions of a ride for example zone 1 and 2 tempo ride sessions, view peak power, view loss of pwr, view torque stress during your ride which improves pedal smoothness, you can upload and share the data in multiple web portals such as Training peaks, Facebook, twitter and the list goes on

PWR training has changed the way I ride, and I’m so much better off because of it

Njoy the decision making process with all the information you have been given.

Hi Mobii

The Motion M01-1 looks pretty interesting. I'm thinking of replacing my Edge 705 and have a couple of questions:

• Does the device have an option to record torque values transmitted by a power meter that has the capability?
  • Does the device handle cadence and speed values transmitted from a power meter e.g. a Powertap?
  • If multiple devices are transmitting the same data e.g. speed from speed sensor, from power meter and from GPS, how does it prioritise them or does it record all of them separately?
  • Will the device work with speed-only or cadence-only ANT+ sensors or will it only work with combined speed/cadence sensors (a different ANT+ profile)?
  • Does the device separate g and tilt values e.g. if I'm braking on a flat surface, will the tilt remain the same or will it shift due to the changing acceleration?
  • Related to the above, is it possible to use the tilt meter to determine gradient (obviously given a stable mount and an initial calibration)?
  • Does the device allow me to use advancedcustom workouts e.g. on my Edge I can program a workout with multiple intervals and sub-intervals, based on time/distance etc., all with different targets?
  • The brochure mentions using two heart rate monitors on different channels. In this case, or if I were to use two power meters, how does it record the data? Does it record separate HR or power values for each one?
  • What format are the device's data files? Can I upload them to a 3rd party program like Sport Tracks or WKO+? Does your software have an option to convert the data to .csv format for, for example, further processing in Excel?
  • Your brochure and website say the price is R2695, but the shopping cart says R2995. Which is the correct price?

Thanks

Side note

Just found another lekker plugin for Sporttracks, been around a while though...called the "Extended KML" export function. Allows you to export from sporttracks to google earth indicating elevation over colour of whatever metric(speed, HR, cadence etc etc). Looks pretty sweet, check it out if you do have sporttracks3

The colour scale represents speed in the one I posted, blue = slow | red = fast

post-9825-0-87075000-1317906445.jpg

Edited by rouxtjie

Side note

Just found another lekker plugin for Sporttracks, been around a while though...called the "Extended KML" export function. Allows you to export from sporttracks to google earth indicating elevation over colour of whatever metric(speed, HR, cadence etc etc). Looks pretty sweet, check it out if you do have sporttracks3

The colour scale represents speed in the one I posted, blue = slow | red = fast

Can it do colour as gradient? That'd be quite fun.

Can it do colour as gradient? That'd be quite fun.

Yebo yes! the one the pic is suikerbos with speed on the colour scale, surprise surprise, this is van gaalen daggapad with grade on the colour scale incl concrete slabs, tant miems...oom piets and back home via river. You can also adjust the scale in this case i made min = 0 and max = 20

post-9825-0-23892800-1317908374.jpg

Hi Edman

Thanks for the interesting questions, you seem to have a good understanding of the device already. To answer your questions.

[*]Does the device have an option to record torque values transmitted by a power meter that has the capability?

The ANT+ device profile for power transmits Torque and Cadence and we use those values to derive power. Now this also depends on the type of ANT+ Power meter you are connecting to, there are different variations of Power meters:

- Power only

- Wheel torque

- Crank Torque

- Crank Torque Frequency

We calculate Torque depending on the type of Power meter that is connected and then use a formula specific to that type of equipment to derive the actual Power value, which we store. So at this stage, we use Torque merely as a means to derive the power. We currently do not store the Torque value, but we can easily add this to our data storage format if there are people who would like to view this metric.

[*]Does the device handle cadence and speed values transmitted from a power meter e.g. a Powertap?

We currently store cadence from the Power meter, not the speed value. We do however store the Speed value from a cadence sensor, but in general GPS takes priority over all equipment used. If you disable GPS for a specific activity, then we use the Speed value. We will be adding a firmware update in the future that stores the speed value from a power meter.

[*]If multiple devices are transmitting the same data e.g. speed from speed sensor, from power meter and from GPS, how does it prioritise them or does it record all of them separately?

GPS is prioritised, if GPS is disabled then we can use the speed value from the Power meter.

[*]Will the device work with speed-only or cadence-only ANT+ sensors or will it only work with combined speed/cadence sensors (a different ANT+ profile)?

Currently the Speed Only sensor is not added, all the others are. It is alo being implemented as a firmware update soon.

[*]Does the device separate g and tilt values e.g. if I'm braking on a flat surface, will the tilt remain the same or will it shift due to the changing acceleration?

The accelerometer will output a single value which we use to derive both G's and Tilt. If acceleration or decelleration values are less than 1 G, the sensor will not be able to accurately distinguish between tilt and acceleration. A gyro accessory is planned to be released which will enable the device to distinguish between acceleration due to velocity and tilt due to gravity.

[*]Related to the above, is it possible to use the tilt meter to determine gradient (obviously given a stable mount and an initial calibration)?

Yes, the tilt value can be used to determine gradient. At the moment there is no calibration function, but is a work in progress that will allow you "Zero Calibrate" the Tilt value when the device is mounted.

[*]Does the device allow me to use advanced custom workouts e.g. on my Edge I can program a workout with multiple intervals and sub-intervals, based on time/distance etc., all with different targets?

There is functionality to handle this in what we call Action-Triggers. This allows you to set "Action-Trigger Sets", each set can contain up to 32 Program Instructions, Each Instruction can contain up to 8 Triggers based on data or location variables and when the triggers are true you can fire off up to 32 Actions (Play audio, display specific displays, New laps, Pause, etc... List is endless).

[*]The brochure mentions using two heart rate monitors on different channels. In this case, or if I were to use two power meters, how does it record the data? Does it record separate HR or power values for each one?

You can connect up to 4 ANT+ devices. Whether that is 4 HR straps, or two power meters and two HR straps.

The first of each equipment type paired in the Equipment group will be displayed on the device and you will be able to create Action-Triggers on those items. The remaining sensors of that 'Equipment Type' will be recorded and the data will be displayed in the Motion Experience Centre.

[*]What format are the device's data files? Can I upload them to a 3rd party program like Sport Tracks or WKO+? Does your software have an option to convert the data to .csv format for, for example, further processing in Excel?

We store our data in our own binary format. There is no way you can store 1/4 sec GPS data, plus Accelerometer data in traditional XML based formats. We do allow the export of data to GPX, which you can then import into 3rd Party software programs. GPX data we export contains the Position data plus Heart Rate data. You can import this data in Sport Tracks. We allow for data to be exported to CSV, but this is used mainly in the High-Performance code base, which has not been merged into the public release code as yet.

[*]Your brochure and website say the price is R2695, but the shopping cart says R2995. Which is the correct price?

The price was adjusted last week to R2995 as the introduction price had ended.

Edited by Mobii

@Edman

Here is a suikerbos lap, with gradient instead of speed on colour, I allocated -10 as a minimum and +18 as a maximum on the scale. each bar can be clicked individualy and you can then see what your speed, temp, time, gradient, cadence, hr and power output(if you have a powertap) was at that specific point, what i find handy is to see where and how long it took it took me recover after a nasty climb

check it

post-9825-0-87400600-1317968101.jpg

@Edman

Here is a suikerbos lap, with gradient instead of speed on colour, I allocated -10 as a minimum and +18 as a maximum on the scale. each bar can be clicked individualy and you can then see what your speed, temp, time, gradient, cadence, hr and power output(if you have a powertap) was at that specific point, what i find handy is to see where and how long it took it took me recover after a nasty climb

check it

Here is a screenshot taken from our Motion Experience Centre. You change the colour of the shaded tail to reflect any metric's intensity. You can also change the actual moving marker's colour as well based on any metric we record.

post-15161-0-57833900-1317969664.jpg

Edited by Mobii

@Mobii

I have just visited your site, very sleek. Just a question though, it seems you can link video to your course yes? Is this camera builtin the Motion M01-1 device or how does it work. I also like that your device can record every 1/4 of a second...think my garmin can only do 1 sec intervals

Oh and also, can I export the data into gpsx or fit format, if I can I will be able to upload the same way to sporttracks and still have its awesome functionality. Basically is there a way I can get the data from the device onto another media and in which format would that be or can I only use the motion experience centre for data analysis.

I can really see a application for your device in trail riding. I would love to record my rides in good quality video and at the same time overlay metrics about the rides for quick analysis but would like to be able to export to another format for indepth on sporttracks. I take it this can be done with the mobii, if yes santa might be getting me one?

@Mobii

I have just visited your site, very sleek. Just a question though, it seems you can link video to your course yes? Is this camera builtin the Motion M01-1 device or how does it work. I also like that your device can record every 1/4 of a second...think my garmin can only do 1 sec intervals

Oh and also, can I export the data into gpsx or fit format, if I can I will be able to upload the same way to sporttracks and still have its awesome functionality. Basically is there a way I can get the data from the device onto another media and in which format would that be or can I only use the motion experience centre for data analysis.

I can really see a application for your device in trail riding. I would love to record my rides in good quality video and at the same time overlay metrics about the rides for quick analysis but would like to be able to export to another format for indepth on sporttracks. I take it this can be done with the mobii, if yes santa might be getting me one?

Hi Rouxtjie

You can use any video footage supported by Windows Media Player to merge with your data. There is no built-in camera on the Motion M01-1.

All you do is:

- Record your ride with your Motion M01-1 and video camera (Eg: GoPro)

- Synch the data to the Motion Experience Centre

- Go to "Playback", select your overlays (Maps, Markers, colour settings, graphs, data overlays etc) that you want to see

- Open the video control, load the video and synch it

- Then press play.

You can also view the video in slow motion (1/4 and 1/2 speed) with all your data overlaid. You also overlay your video onto a map as well.

As mentioned in an earlier post, you can export to MBI (Our binary format containing all data) or GPX (Position data and HR only). We can view this data in Sport Tracks or Endomondo. If there are other formats people want us to export the data to then we can add that in.

If you link photographs, notes and weather information with your activity then you can export this in our format so others can view everything in the Motion Experience Centre.

If you want to download some example files to play around with in the Motion Experience Centre, then you can download a zip file containing some example activity files here http://www.mobii.com/files/MEC.zip

The file is from one of our sponsored MTB riders who rode “Die Burger” MTB race.

To import it:

- Go to “Activity Review”

- Click on the import button next to the green playback icon and select the mbi file attached.

- You have the option of importing the entire profile, you can do so to view energy expenditure information on the rider.

- View the graphs by clicking on the round buttons to the right of each graph.

- Go to “Playback”, by clicking on the green icon at the top left of the screen.

- In playback, you will need to activate a map layer, click on the cogs in the playback bezel and then go to the map layers tab. Select “OpenCycleMap” to get the map layer with relief data.

The second file is a motor racing example.

To import it:

- Go to “Activity Review”

- Click on the import button next to the green playback icon and select the mbi file attached.

- You have the option of importing the entire profile, you can do so to view energy expenditure information on the rider.

- View the graphs by clicking on the round buttons to the right of each graph.

- View the laps by clicking on “Lap Summary”, you can also view it full screen by clicking on “Full screen summary”

- Go to “Playback”, by clicking on the green icon at the top left of the screen.

- In playback, you will need to activate the Killarney map layer, click on the cogs in the playback bezel and then go to the map layers tab. Select the button named “Add Layer”, then enter a name called “Killarney” and the Tile URL will be “http://maps.mobii.com/Killarney/Z{z}/{y}_{x}.png”, click accept and use that layer for viewing the custom Killarney map layer.

Have fun trying it out.

Edited by Mobii

ta thanks, its important to me to be able to export to gpx/fit file which you say the device can do, this is a deal breaker because I still want to keep my other diaries up to date in sprottracks.

ta thanks, its important to me to be able to export to gpx/fit file which you say the device can do, this is a deal breaker because I still want to keep my other diaries up to date in sprottracks.

This is also a big problem for me. I need to be able to send data to my coach and a .gpx file containing only GPS and HR data doesn't cut it, unfortunately. I also need to see the data in WKO+ or some other software that allows me to evaluate normalised power, TSS etc. and track these over time (unless the Mobii software can also do this).

.csv export (or else just a translator from your binary to .csv) of all the raw data would also be really useful. There're a couple of interesting uses I could find for the accelerometer data, couple to the other data, but most of them require the data to be analysed in Excel.