Deore shifter cable stuck

pauloc

Hey Guys,

A while back I got my Deore shifter cable stuck in the shifter housing. It happened while moving it over to my new bike and I figured that it was because I had not replaced the grub screw before trying to shift (i.e. the cable head had tried to sneak out the open hole as opposed to following the normal path inside the housing).

It also happened to a friend of mine last weekend while we were riding, and I noticed that his grub screw was also missing. Is a missing grub screw enough to cause the cable to get stuck?

Cheers,

Paulo

Hey Guys,

A while back I got my Deore shifter cable stuck in the shifter housing. It happened while moving it over to my new bike and I figured that it was because I had not replaced the grub screw before trying to shift (i.e. the cable head had tried to sneak out the open hole as opposed to following the normal path inside the housing).

It also happened to a friend of mine last weekend while we were riding, and I noticed that his grub screw was also missing. Is a missing grub screw enough to cause the cable to get stuck?

Cheers,

Paulo

You might check inside. It happens sometimes that a piece of metal breaks off inside causing the cable to get stuck or the shifting to be difficult.

You might check inside. It happens sometimes that a piece of metal breaks off inside causing the cable to get stuck or the shifting to be difficult.

In both cases, the shifter cable was basically jammed inside the mechanism. It involved fiddling with the cable to release it. Obviously had to replace the shifter cable so in the interests of not making the same mistake again I'd like to stop doing whatever is causing this :)